cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer - says file is inaccessible.

VIN:

F4 = MB400 (chassis model)
4 = Sportsman
C = 10,001 to 14,000 lbs GVWR
F = 360 2 bbl (carb)
7 = 1977
V = Warren Truck Compact (plant chassis made)
03979 = sequence number

The link I sent you to is not necessarily for your year motorhome - it was just a sample.
This one is correct:
1977 Dodge Compact
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Lummibeader
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there and thank you for responding so quickly. I figured that you might need more information and read somewhere that someone can break down our VIN # F44CF7V03979

I will take a picture of the control panel but until then I will post the picture of the RV we have:

I hope it comes out so that you can see it

Lummibeader

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
that is what I need is a generator for my american clipper.

jc

Leeann wrote:
Hi, Lummibeader!

We need to know a bit more about your RV to help you, but many times the switches up there control things like the generator, water pump, lights, which gas tank is in use, etc....a photo might help, too.

What actual make is your motorhome? Dodge simply made the chassis. The 318 is the stock motor on many models/brands of RVs on the Dodge chassis.

What color is the generator? If it's green, it's an Onan. If it's tan, it's a Kohler.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, Lummibeader!

We need to know a bit more about your RV to help you, but many times the switches up there control things like the generator, water pump, lights, which gas tank is in use, etc....a photo might help, too.

What actual make is your motorhome? Dodge simply made the chassis. The 318 is the stock motor on many models/brands of RVs on the Dodge chassis.

What color is the generator? If it's green, it's an Onan. If it's tan, it's a Kohler.

Lummibeader
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your comments on these Dodge van/RV's and I am lost as usual. My husband is a great mechanic and has always taken great care of all of our vehicles, and I am sure that he will be ok with this one.

What we really need is a handbook on what does what in the RV part of the motorhome. We have never had a motorhome and have never even been in one so when we came across this fantastic deal we jumped and now are the proud owners of a 1976 Dodge Van (nose) RV. We have found that the interior lights work, the microwave works and we can hear the water pump turn on. We have found the handles to dump the tanks and have the propane tank filled and the battery replaced in the rear of the RV (not the one under the hood). The fridge was taken out prior to us getting it and we are not sure about the generator that is located on the drivers side of the RV. The air conditioner also works.

Up in the front on the ceiling there are a set of 4 or 5 switches that we are not sure what they are for. Can anyone give us a hint as to what it may be???

We are planning on moving to Missouri from Washington state in a few weeks and we will be living in the RV until we get our house built. Since we are traveling across the country we were planning on renting a U Haul trailer to pull behind the RV. We have a 318 engine, at least that is what my husband thinks we have. Will the RV fair well hauling this on our trip?? Please any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lummibeader

madtiger
Explorer
Explorer
Holy smokes. I posted, went to lunch, and 5 replies! I read the remainder of this thread (been going on for three years? wow) and saw the posts on how to decode.

Leeann, thank you for the eBay link- I'll likely be buying that tonight.

I'm hoping to God that I have the 360- I really don't tow anything and the most I will haul is clothes, food, water and my wife and kid. That 360 might give me a little better mpg plus I would likely have more room under the doghouse to make any mods (manifold spacer, new air intake, etc.) that would give me a little squeeze of HP.

Thanks again!

-madtiger (the rookie)

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have it I think you have it backwards, on the big block the dist was in the back or I could be wrong, i have a couple of books one them, I thought that how I read it, if I am wrong , sorry, but now I have to go home and check the book.

jc

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
On my 440-3, it's at the front. I have to lean far forward when I lift the doghouse to replace the cap, rotor or wires.

And in the '75 El Dorado on the B300 chassis, the distributor was at the back, right there when you pulled the doghouse - and that was a 360.

And that's what I was told was the easy way to determine big vs. small block in Chrysler products...

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
my 1975 Dodge American Clipper the distributor is in the back and it the 440-3 big block

Leeann wrote:
madtiger, I'd recommend the actual Dodge shop manual for your chassis, as that's going to be a lot more accurate than the Haynes or Chilton. They are still available on eBay - a lot.
manual on eBay as an example.

As for your motor, post your VIN # and we can decode it for you. If it's a small block (318 or 360), the distributor will be close to you if you're in the van looking out the front. It'll be at the front of the vehicle if it's a big block (413 or 440).

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
madtiger, I'd recommend the actual Dodge shop manual for your chassis, as that's going to be a lot more accurate than the Haynes or Chilton. They are still available on eBay - a lot.
manual on eBay as an example.

As for your motor, post your VIN # and we can decode it for you. If it's a small block (318 or 360), the distributor will be close to you if you're in the van looking out the front. It'll be at the front of the vehicle if it's a big block (413 or 440).

madtiger
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all,

My wife and I just bought a 1976 Dodge Sportsman (20') motor home with "Jamboree" written in faded lettering on the front and the back.

To let you guys know, I am quite the noob when it comes to motor homes. I have helped rebuild a few Dodge V8s in my time (a 360 and a 440), but nothing in a Van. In fact, The 20 minute drive home from where I bought the old girl almost doubled my lifetime experience in a moving motor home.

I bought it because my wife does NOT like to fly, and I like to travel. (she calls it "compromise" and I call it "capitulation", but that is a discussion for another forum)

Anyhoo, I have been looking for resources on where I can find such items as an owner's manual and shop manuals. I have found answers to the overwhelming majority of my questions in this thread, so for this, I extend a hearty "thank you".

I'm going to be spending the next few months doing the mechanical things that need to be done (I'll bet the last tune-up was when Clinton was President) and I'll probably be asking some silly questions. I'm going to purchase the "Dodge Full-sized van" shop manual (Hayes or Chilton's) on my way home from work today, I think that will help me with identifying the basics (what engine, etc.).

My first question is this: Do any of you RECOMMENDED any specific literature on RV restoration and upgrades (like how Home Depot has home improvement books)? Google and Yahoo! searches have brought up a few common books, but I figured I would ask lest I purchase the wrong one.

Thanks in advance,

-madtiger (the rookie)

Retro_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
My oil pump is as Big John says....external.

'79 440

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of the oil filter mount/oil pump assembly, for reference:

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Big_John>>> I am looking at Chiltons auto repair manual and it says for 361, 383, 413, 426W, 440 and 426 hemi to remove oil pan and filter assembly than remove oil pump from bottom side of engine...these exact words.....

Well, having seen errors like this in Chilton's before, I'm not suprised.

The small block Mopar, 318,340, 360 etc. has its oil pump located there, bolted to the last main cap. You would have to remove the oil pan to get at it in those engine.

The big block, 383, 400 413, 426, 440 etc. has its oil pump located on the driver's side front corner under the #1 cylinder.

I suggest looking in the Factory service manual.