cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely wash it out with soap ๐Ÿ˜‰

We've got the thermoquad on our 440 dialed in - and it runs sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Only people who can't follow the rebuild/adjustment directions call them junk.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thermo Quads are great carbs, especially for this application. Do a Google search for Demon Sizzler (his name is David). Nobody on the planet knows more about them than he!

If anyone is interested, here's a link to the Moparts thread that has pictures of my rig.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3589731&an=0&page=2#Post3589731

Enjoy? ๐Ÿ˜‰
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
hyp7 wrote:

It has a thermo quad 4bbl. and I was told they are junk. any ideas on what to replace it with?

WASH your mouth ... out-with-soap ! :W

That carb has a few quirks ... but when dialed-in ... they are the best carbs out there.

79er ..... I will PM you with details.

hyp7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I'm a new owner of a dodge based class c and having trouble finding anything about it.The title states it is a 1981 cruise master,has sportsman on the doors and the guy said it had a 360 in it but the diagram under the hood only say 440. But I did notice the distributor is in the wrong spot to be a 440 so it must be a 360 I guess. It came with 3 manuals for the onan 2.8 gen but not one for the MH.haha. Does anyone have one I could download? It has a thermo quad 4bbl. and I was told they are junk. any ideas on what to replace it with? Was also told this era of MH are notorious for vapor locking which I think mine is doing now, goes great when driving but stop for a light and dies in the worst possible places at the worst possible time. Thanks to everyone on here you are more valubule then you know.
Thanks Gene

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Grey to the ground? I guess that's what the little tag on the wall by the kitchen sink says "put a pail under before using".

Hmmmm...... interesting!

This rig shows a 60 amp alternator on the production sticker under the hood. There is a big white ceramic unit that says Battery Isolator mounted to the firewall. Is that solid state? I don't know, I've never seen one before, but it looks like a big ballist resistor (being a Dodge guy, you know what that is).

Well, I'm off to play with it some more. I hope to have the fuel leak issue fixed today and try to sort out some of the electrical stuff.

I really appreciate all of your help!

Errr, you wouldn't happen to still have your manual to that rig, would you? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eric

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,
That RV you could be our old one. Same rear entry, green, 360... If it has a solid state isolator and 100 amp alternator it probably is. What I mean about a grey water tank is, orginally the rig has only a tank for the toilet. (directly under it) The sinks and shower, just go out on the ground. OK in 73 now you can go to jail for it. (go figure?) any way I added a grey water tank and figured out how to vent it ... and make it work. Much more convienent then collecting grey water in a portable blue tank or some other method. Any way I do not think I have any photos but I will check.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Abd Big John, the 360 will either be built up to a proper spec, or more likely replaced with a big block. Since I had a built 360 in my Power Wagon, it had plenty of grunt to drag it's own weight many times over without breaking a sweat. It got 8mpg on a good day, and I expect nothing more form the RV. Other PW guys with 440's in teh same truck would get close 16mpg, so BB in the RV makes sence.

But for now, the little 2v 360 will remain. I might drag out the Summit Racing catalog and get a 4v Performer intake and carb, Summit cam kit, and timing chain, and install dual exhaust. A bit of fine tuning, and she'll perform MUCH better than stock, for not a bunch of money!

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:
79powerwagon wrote:
Howdy all! I guess I can officially say I'm a member too of the mighty Mopar Madness club!

Just this week picked up a 1973, yes, you heard me right, 1973 Tioga class C unit with 75,000 miles on her!

What a piece of junk! ๐Ÿ˜‰ She won't stay that way too long though!

Mighty stock 360 2v powered beast! This will change!

Yes, it's green! Yes, it's pretty simple compared to todays rigs. But she has a toilet/vanity/shower, full range, Dometic 3 way fridge, sleeps 6, and despite all the wood grain finishes in her, not a spec of real wood anywhere!

Anyone have ANY idea where to get info (service related) on this old girl? Some things about her just don't add up...

Eric

Welcome 9er ...... had enough of moparts ? ... :B ...... :W

And I have joined-this-club also with a 1973 Dodge RV ...me-self !

Boondocker, who are you over at moparts? And what kind of Dodge do you have?

This is going to fun! ๐Ÿ˜„

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Do I have a grey water tank? Um, I assume so? If not, that means all teh waste water goes to the black water tank? Or the ground? ๐Ÿ˜‰

My Tioga is a little guy 20' I think? It has the rear entry door. The Mopar part of the truck I have no problems with servicing/repairing (the actual B300 chassis/cab), it's the operations of teh house part I'm trying to figure out. On your Tioga, cn you post a picture of your electrical panel for me to see if it's the same basic system as mine? My DOM is 03-1973... and something seems a bit ho-made about it...

Eric

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had a photo... My last rig was a 73 Tioga. Excellent quality. I can give you alot of info.... Does yours have a grey water tank? Want to put wone in oppisite the black tank, so your rig will be fully self contained? I went through that little modification and it was a real improvement.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:
Howdy all! I guess I can officially say I'm a member too of the mighty Mopar Madness club!

Just this week picked up a 1973, yes, you heard me right, 1973 Tioga class C unit with 75,000 miles on her!

Yes, it's green! Yes, it's pretty simple compared to todays rigs. But she has a toilet/vanity/shower, full range, Dometic 3 way fridge, sleeps 6, and despite all the wood grain finishes in her, not a spec of real wood anywhere!

Anyone have ANY idea where to get info (service related) on this old girl? Some things about her just don't add up...

Eric

Welcome 9er ...... had enough of moparts ? ... :B ...... :W

And I have joined-this-club also with a 1973 Dodge RV ...me-self !

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:

Eric

Welcome!

Best source for service info is a factory service manual. You can usually get one on ebay for $25-$50. Don't bother with the generic Haynes type manuals.

So... if you're not sticking with the 360, what are you going to replace it with?

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer

Eric

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
The number I had was the build number from Shasta which built the coach on the frame. I went ahead a purchased the beast as it was in pretty good condition and the price was good. Everything seems to work including the Onan generator. Just been sitting for a long time and needs attention. I purchased with a clause that I would back out if we where unable to clear the title. So far it seems I will be able to. Title check came back clear and now I just need to associate the VIN to the coach serial number. I called Coachman who bought Shasta in 76 and they have been ery helpful. Sent me color brochure and all the specs including floor plans. I was amazed on what a couple calls did for info on such an old mobilehome.

thanks for all the help.

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Leanne

He found it. F44CF6B104340. Gee, it was on the placard on the door jamb under the label that said VIN? Seems his daughter told him that was the body number?

She must have been the one who registered it with the serial number. As an old classic car buff VIN's are very important!

thanks for all the help!!

Ken