cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Kendas wrote:
Trish Davis wrote:
I take a lot of comfort knowing the interior stuff is annoying yet fixable.

''Annoying?'' Like looking for a leak at the front roof vent from outside and finding the nose end (''pointy'' part) of 4 DECK SCREWS sticking up through the roof at the 4 corners of the vent.

If I had the money for a new one I'd still keep this one... Keeps me from wandering the streets. :?

Nothing that bad. Weird stuff, but not that dumb. Just dumb enough.

Yeah, your rig keeps you off the streets, but you are a threat to hardware stores.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:
I take a lot of comfort knowing the interior stuff is annoying yet fixable.

''Annoying?'' Like looking for a leak at the front roof vent from outside and finding the nose end (''pointy'' part) of 4 DECK SCREWS sticking up through the roof at the 4 corners of the vent. :h

I'd like to find the PO that did that. :R

That's the next project... Not too worried living in Tucson but it needs to get done before the Monsoons.

If I had the money for a new one I'd still keep this one... Keeps me from wandering the streets. :?
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeteeth, I hear you. I got into the kitchen this week, mostly to tear out the old countertop and what did I find? Enough water to refresh the Sahara...

Oh, yeah, they knew before they sold it to me.
But, it's paid for, it doesn't eat anything (much), and I take a lot of comfort knowing the interior stuff is annoying yet fixable. It could have a great interior and serious drivetrain issues; in this case, I'm glad to take the vice-versa of that.

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
eyeteeth wrote:
I'd be hard pressed to know how the PO couldn't have known. Originally I wanted to go pick it up alone. But the family insisted on coming along. Had I been alone, I probably would have bailed on the deal. It took me all of a minute or two inside to find the signs. Discolored Ceiling, spongy floor, de-laminated plywood, Rotted ceiling... Enough there to know what it was hiding was going to be depressing.

But... I still have this outlook on it:
The unit is 100% paid for.
It's a floor plan they haven't made in over 25 years... and it's perfect for us.
This is the worst of it...
It's all replaceable wood... cheap materials... but time consuming.
Doing it myself, I can save many thousand dollars in labor.
I learn a lot in the process
I know it will be done the way I want...
... and will give me many years of use when I'm done.

I just have to grin and bear it for now... fix what I can, when I can, when I can afford it.

Eyeteeth,

Your words sums up everything about our group. We are truly some
of the most practical people in this world. Mine looked pretty bad too, especially around the water heater and plumbing. But I've been able to build it back to what I think is better than new, and make things easy for me to work on, as I go. I wish for you all the best!

Mark
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
ditto to Leeann, most of my repair work is alot of time and a small amount of material or parts. Do what I can as I go along... and like Leeann says, build it back the way you want, not to mention probably better.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh....in that case, he knew damned well. Sorry ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm glad you have that outlook, 'cause it's all true.

Exactly. That's our plan, too.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be hard pressed to know how the PO couldn't have known. Originally I wanted to go pick it up alone. But the family insisted on coming along. Had I been alone, I probably would have bailed on the deal. It took me all of a minute or two inside to find the signs. Discolored Ceiling, spongy floor, de-laminated plywood, Rotted ceiling... Enough there to know what it was hiding was going to be depressing.

But... I still have this outlook on it:
The unit is 100% paid for.
It's a floor plan they haven't made in over 25 years... and it's perfect for us.
This is the worst of it...
It's all replaceable wood... cheap materials... but time consuming.
Doing it myself, I can save many thousand dollars in labor.
I learn a lot in the process
I know it will be done the way I want...
... and will give me many years of use when I'm done.

I just have to grin and bear it for now... fix what I can, when I can, when I can afford it.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You know, it's quite possible the PO didn't know there was water damage. If it was in the walls and he couldn't see it...

Not to excuse him, but it's a possibility.

Just think, though: this way you can build it the way you want... ๐Ÿ˜‰

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth,
Yep looks like you have lots of fun ahead. Mine had lots of damage in the overhead, I just kept tearing more and more out. That was the discouraging part I think. Then winter set in and I just had to store it until the weather cleared. I finally got back at it last week and now that I am actually putting it back together it doesn't seem so bad. I have along way to go with all the stuff that had been neglected before I bought it but now that I can see some progress I feel better. All the best on your project... and remember it may be bad but it could always be worse...
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Wow... semi-decent weather this weekend. Really tore into the of the RV... still wondering what I got myself into, and still steamin' over the PO claiming there was no water damage.

So... here's a few pics of my progress, you can pretty much tell the fun I have to look forward too.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
1979 Pace Arrow 26' with 440, newer engine & rebuilt tranny, newer tires, new fridge...$2500
As you can see, it does have a front bunk. It's better than the one in mine, as it doesn't have a piano hinge in the middle of it (makes it stronger!).
http://reading.craigslist.org/rvs/636025692.html

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
countessaisobella wrote:
Well, I've been doing lots more looking, and asking oh so many questions...

Countess, best thing to do is go look at some. And drive them.
Beware of anything that the seller says "sorry, can't drive it right now."
If he /she /it won't let you drive it, WHY NOT?

There are a slew of good C's in Milwaukee and Madison.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Francis crash switch

That's a cool thing. Gee, who (else) is spending their "extra refund" on their vehicles...

countessaisobel
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I've been doing lots more looking, and asking oh so many questions... This looks pretty good.

Yes, I know, it's a ferd, but all the class c dodges i've been finding are too short

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=180228875195&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI

it's got a 460 in it, and yes, it will need tires, sooner, rather than later.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Power, It should be heating up around here soon,(I hope) I will wait for a warm sunny day... thanks