cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
I am still a ways from flooring the moldyhome, but the laminates I've installed and walked on all seem to have kind of a hollow resonance when you walk on them, especially in shoes. I want to install Marmoleum, but the price may remove that as an option by the time I get to that point. I have a partial box, so maybe I'll have to play with different underlays. It's the click-lock with an oak texture. By black vapour barrier stuff, I assume you're referring to builder's paper ?('tar paper')

For cable entries, these are what I like to use on boats. I've used them on exposed cabin tops with great results. Probably overkill for an RV, but personally I don't think there's any such thing when you look at the problems water leaks can cause!
Seadog makes one that's a little more aesthetically pleasing but doesn't seal quite as well as the one above.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
:B

These are new - and, I think, only because we got absolutely torrential downpours yesterday afternoon (something over 2" in less than 2 minutes). They weren't that bad, either - more like a little drip. It's around the plumbing vent pipe and the old tv antenna cable.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I fixed all my known leaks last year when I found them... now I'm dealing with the damage that was left... ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And... unfortunately, from a few additional locations that I shouldn't be seeing any light through.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Deadeye: What kind of laminate did you use and was your subfloor flat when it was installed?

We have the click-lock laminate in ours and don't get a sound. We didn't use foam underlayment, though - just the black vapor barrier stuff.

eyeteeth: yeah, we have some black tank issues to work out (minor) and 2 very minor leaks to fix in the roof. Then we have paneling to do, another vent to replace....and the list goes on ๐Ÿ˜‰

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, haven't posted in this thread for quite a while - glad to see it's still alive (like so many of these old Dodges!) A question for you folks that have used 'laminate' flooring in your rigs: is there an installation method that will get rid of that plasticky (?) sound when you walk on it ? Is that just from the foam padding underneath ?

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Engine work... Yea... next on the agenda... after the floor, the walls, the tub, the GW tank, replacing carpet with wood laminate and mounting the TV... is going to be fixing the engine stumble... eventually probably replacing the carb with something a little more efficient.

Another item the has me a little steamed. Although no where near as much as the water damage. "Ever have pets in the unit?" PO: "No, never travelled with pets." Yet, when we picked it up... they had a dog... and there was a dog chain in the back of the RV?

So much fun... But... as long as I can get a number of years of use out of it when I'm done... I will eventually be in a happy place.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, fun....

I have no idea where to look for veneers, other than your local lumberyards. We're just going to use lauan and stain it lighter, then paint the cabinets. No matching required ๐Ÿ˜‰

We had fun on ours this weekend, too. The PO had put in a 160ยบ thermostat (instead of the spec'd 180ยบ t-stat). We think he did this after he let his radiator clog up and overheat the heck out of the motor, causing him to replace the radiator. However, when it overheated, the thermostat housing and mount on the engine both warped, making it impossible to seal.

They got around this by not cleaning up the old gasket and by gooping the heck out of it with RTV. We, of course, cleaned up the old gasket and goop, then couldn't figure out right away why it wouldn't seal at all...finally got out the file and made the surfaces flat again, but it took about an hour.

Good news is, it's all sealed back up and the engine heats up to 180ยบ nice and quick - and stays there under way. We've got better power this way (okay, we think so). We also advanced the timing a little, which might have helped that too.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
The thread is slipping so I figured I'd post an update...

I pulled the bathroom sink, the fixtures for the sink, and the shower, the water heater, and the windows. Pulled out the rest of the insulation and paneling. all that's left, is the bathroom wall. Which i think now is just some screws in the floor, I cut everything to the roof and wall. I'm hoping to pull it out in one piece.

I did find one new surprise that I was not expecting. I may end up replacing the water heater. which is a shame... as it works. But I cannot get the anode rod out to replace it... worse yet, the bottom of it rusted out from all the moisture in the floor beneath it. The tank has dropped a bit, and I had a difficult time pulling it out. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I have more pics to take on the progress, but I'm nearing the "turning point" where I get to start putting things back together. Neither the kids nor myself can wait to get her rolling again.

Any suggestions on places to look for veneers? I know I'm not going to find an exact match, but something relatively close would be great.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
We've got an Ace close to me that I've been shopping at on and off since the 70's as a kid. ''Old school'' store that still stocks obscure hardware like to correct hot water valve assemblies (turn opposite direction than the cold one) for my 43 year old stick house.

They know me there for both the the stationary and mobile houses.

Been to a couple of the ''newer'' ones in town and found that they mostly have newer (read younger) people that don't have a clue.

Of course I go to an old electronics store too for parts... Place I can still test tubes from some of my old equipment (Yep, a ''real'' tube tester). Was there Tuesday getting plastic circuit board "stand-offs" for the genset control board for the RV. :W
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I have a long running joke with my nearest ACE (mostly from the kart racing) that I have to stump them with at least one item request. The manager and I are on a good basis... I've been noticing recently some of the items I've mentioned in the past he now stocks regularly.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
My local parts house loves me....they rub their hands together and start messing with me before I even make it through the door! :S

'Course, I keep going back 'cause the manager is an old Mopar guy and doesn't give me grief if he has to pull out a book to look something up ๐Ÿ˜‰

My local NAPA knows me VERY well! It helps ALOT that I bring in some beer from time to time! ๐Ÿ˜‰
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
My local parts house loves me....they rub their hands together and start messing with me before I even make it through the door! :S

'Course, I keep going back 'cause the manager is an old Mopar guy and doesn't give me grief if he has to pull out a book to look something up ๐Ÿ˜‰

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
we are the best friend of the hardware stores!! everytime another old dodge motorhome is bought the stock at NAPA and ACE hardware and Home Depot goes up.
ya'all have a great weekend. A.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Trish Davis wrote:
Yeah, your rig keeps you off the streets, but you are a threat to hardware stores.

No, no: we're a PROMISE to hardware stores...

LOL! Ain't THAT da truth? :B Scenic RV Center loves me, too!
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:
Yeah, your rig keeps you off the streets, but you are a threat to hardware stores.

No, no: we're a PROMISE to hardware stores...