cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well folks,

This has been a season of change- what with the
Green Machine changing hands- may the adventure
continue for its new family, and may they find
their way here too...

I posted earlier that my rig, the "Koby", had been
burned when a wildfire crossed my property. What
I could save, I did. For a while I've been looking
for another rig, with no success. Until now.

The "Koby" was a '72 model. I found a '73 model that
is supposed to be a Mobile Traveler rig very similar
to the "Koby". The price is good- "Get it outta my
pasture if you want it, or it'll be landfill!".

Film at eleven...

Mark "whiteknight"
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:
The Apple Green Machine is gone, red wheels and all.
So, now on to a new one...

You're kidding.
No.. you aren't.

Wow.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I just caught up on the forum and see that Powerwagon sold his green machine.... thats almost like Roy Rogers selling Trigger.... good luck on your hunt for a new (old?) rig Power.... sure gonna miss old green though
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Cricket_Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all your comments and suggestions.
Been working on cleaning the roof so I can reseal it and add some Eternabond also.
Then will put in the new water pump when it gets here.
After that its off to the races on the entire propane system. Refer, Stove, furnace and hot water heater.
The only thing left after all of that is the A/C, but I am not in a rush for that. Dont think I will need it for the Oct. race in Charlotte.

So THANKS TO ALL, for all suggestions and comments.
Sam
76 Dodge Leprechaun
Getting started.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You never go wrong with bacon & eggs. Noses always sniff for bacon.

Oh, good grief. At least you know how to fix such a problem, though.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
^^ oh, man is that nice...

We've made pizza in our oven, too...and it's really, really good (not to mention it makes noses around us start to sniff!).

We have one last trip in ours this year, in 3 weekends, and I'm not looking forward to putting her away, either.

One of our favorites... is to be making bacon and eggs in the pits for breakfast as everyone else starts rolling in. That bacon aroma just permeates the area, and a very good portion of the pits. ๐Ÿ˜›

We spent the afternoon working on the old girl again. We discovered (trying to put the exhaust back on) that the builder reversed the heads, so the studs no longer matched up. That slowed us down a little bit. But, I think we're just about ready to fire it up again. One more afternoon maybe.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon, I will miss seeing ole green in your signiture. I hope you buy another Dodge. ๐Ÿ™‚

Some people I camped beside a couple of months ago asked if I wanted to sell mine. I don't think I could get another one that is decent for the price I paid. ($1800)
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Whaaaaat????

No...really? You sold it?

Now you've gotta find a suitable replacement. And quick.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
The Apple Green Machine is gone, red wheels and all.

A young couple (who look like throw-backs to Woodstock) eyed the Tioga, stopped by with a BIG pile of cash, and (foolishly?) drove her home on the other side of the state! They were (literally) happy campers!

Glad to see her go to a good home!

So, now on to a new one...
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Cricket&Sam

You might be able to just get a new housing for your pump. Try contacting Shurflo (www.shurflo.com).

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Pump. Either AZ Salvage of Colaw's.

www.http://www.azrvinc.com/
www.http://colaws.com

NO to JB Weld. And I love this stuff.
You can fix glass taillights with it, but not your water pump.

Dicor + Etrnabond will seal your rood cheaply and effectively.
It's money very well spent.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get an RV/Marine water pump - 12v. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot will have one.

We have a 5 gpm Shurflo, computer controlled. It ramps up and down the pressure as water flow dictates, so you don't get the hammering that the old ones would do. I'm pretty sure he got it on eBay, but they're available all over, like here or here.

Camping World also has brick & mortar stores, if one is close to you.

For the roof, get Dicor self-leveling caulk, clean out everything and re-caulk it. Do NOT use silicone, whatever you do. Eternabond is wonderful stuff and can be used over top the Dicor or, for temporary, in place of re-doing the caulk.

Cricket_Sam
Explorer
Explorer
I havent crawled on the roof much yet but it looks like it is in the roof above were the awning bracket is on the front, behind the front window on the right hand side.

The water pump is not going to be able to fix, so I need to get a replacement, anyone have suggestions? Should I also try to go a little larger, it is only a 3.5 gpm. Shurflo Model 200. Do I need to get a Shurflo, or can I get a decent pump from Lowes or Home Depot?
Sam
76 Dodge Leprechaun
Getting started.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Sam,
Can you tell where the leak was coming from? A roof seam or side seam, window?
Mine had leaks in roof from leaks around the luggage rack attachements. I just took the rack off, and covered the holes with metal patches and then a layer of eternabond tape(eternabond tape would work well for sealing the roof seams also). I had leaks in some windows so just removed them, cleaned them up and then replaced the window using putty tape. The other leak problem I has was in the overhead where the drip rail was screwed into the rig. All the sealing putty was gone and the water just ran down the sides hit the screws and followed them right into the walls. I had to replace some framing but after I did that and resealed the drip rail leaks were gone.
I don't have any experience with your water pump problem or what valves to use on the water heater, mine doesn't have valves, its just line in, line out so I can't help you there.
I guess as long as your drains and tanks don't leak you could carry water for drinking and flushing for a short term stay?.... just a thought...
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Cricket_Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news...

1. I found a spot that has been leaking. Looks like it was sealed. Doesnt look to bad, not going to mess with it right now.

2. The water systems looks good except that the pump has a real small hole in the head. Questions to follow. I just want to try and get things going so the wife and I can use it for the race coming in Charlotte. So we can decide if we really want to spend the money of total repairs. This being our first one. I am sure everyone understands this.

3. The hot water heater valves are completely locked up and wont open or close so I can get water into it. Have taken the water lines loose and removed the valves. I will have to replace those.

I have not messed with the propane system; lines, refer and furnace. Going to wait on that until last. I can live without that for Oct. I have propane heaters that we used inside our tent, they are made for that. So I can use those for heat and just cook on the Coleman stove and grills we have. Food stuff can go in the cooler for now also.

So keep in mind that I want to spend as little money as possible right now. I have been without a job almost a year now (I am receiving unemployment though). But I do have a job in the works (TSA, takes a while with all the red tape to go through).

Questions...

1. I want to make sure the leak is sealed for now. Plus I need to redo the seems in the roof. What should I use for temperary?

2. With the water pump working, has anyone tried to seal a small crack in the head with JBWeld? (again, think temperary)

3. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type valves to replace the bad ones with? PVC or Brass.

Thanks for any help and suggestions. Not much to take pictures of right now or I would.

Again, I am just wanting to spend as little money as possible to make our first weekend with it to decide if its what we really want or should try something different?
Sam
76 Dodge Leprechaun
Getting started.