cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Breathe in...breathe out...

The genny sounds like wires must be crossed. What genny do you have?

Coolant...water pump or hoses? Both are easy.

Oil leak - dude that rebuilt it needs to fix it. That's plain nuts.

Furnace could be the control board, but also could just have stopped-up passages in the burner, easily cleaned out with a razor knife.

If it makes you feel any better, I have many friends with new coaches. Every time they take them out, something else has to be fixed, generally at the dealer.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Alright,. I need a talking down.

I'm getting absolutely sick of things right now. I can't seem to do anything with the RV without having to fix something else. I'm ready to toss a match at it.

I mean, I tried to bring it home, and the ignition module went bad.
I fix that and 8 miles later, the A/C Clutch bearing goes. So I fix that.
The Engine I had rebuilt last summer developed an oil leak on the way to... or from... last weeks camping trip.
Now last night, about 2am, the furnace stopped working.
We got the 'rebuilt' generator installed, but it won't start. It seems to suck the voltage out of anything connected to it.
And now that its home, the RV is dumping it's coolant in my driveway.

I keep fixing... and MORE things go wrong. Not LESS. I swear in another year there's not going to be an original part left on it...

Now... being unemployed over a year with still no real prospects... I just don't have money to through at it anymore. I can't remember the last time I've been this fed up with something... I just don't know anymore.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha. I understand...but you can always come around and visit, even without the old Dodge ๐Ÿ˜‰

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
John!!! Where the heck have you been?????

I've been around... I've been working my tail off at work and only recently have I had any time to relax. The old Dodge was just sitting except for when my son would take it. I finally decided it could sit in his yard easier then in mine... and then I just told him to keep it. He had a use for it and I didn't have the time. He's got some medical bills to pay and decided to put the Dodge up for sale.

If I had more time... but then again, I've got stuff that needs to e done around the house before I'd ever touch the Dodge.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
John!!! Where the heck have you been?????

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't been on here for quite a while. Too many other things (like work) that have taken my time. Anyway... I gave my old Ozark Dodge to my son a while ago and he's got it up for sale in the Syracuse, NY area.

Click Here

If I'm not correct for posting this here, I apologise in advance, but I know some of you guys are always looking for an old Dodge. This one runs great, but it needs some work.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You easily can make that one sweet rig...congrats ๐Ÿ™‚

WVTravco
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon everyone!

Wow! What a topic! I hope you can count me in.

Never been camping a day in my life, however, we should be aquiring my Grandparents Travco soon. It's a 270 with a 413. They bought it from the original owner. I'm not sure what year they got it though. I do know that it hasn't been used (taken camping) for at least 25 years because I don't ever remember it being used. My Gramps did start it from time to time and moved it around in the drive way though.

I know first thing that is going to happen with it is new tires. Followed by the replacement of all the belts, lines and anything else that is rubber and brittle. The inside really doesn't need a whole lot of work. There is some water damage at the back vent that accidentally got left open. Other than that, I didn't see anything.

I don't really know if the appliances work or not, Gramps didn't say. He did say the generator did work and it's 5000w.

The siblings and I used to play in this all the time when we were younger and I thought it would have been the coolest thing to use the way it was meant to be used.

I like the layout pretty well. I would like to possibly add some upper bunks to the two "twin" beds in the back. The couch opens to bunks as well but I don't want to have to take down the beds every morning. I'd rather just have 4 designated beds. Other than that, I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I will add a few creature comforts like an iPod ready radio and maybe a TV but no major gutting and reconfiguring of the layout.

You guys are all right, the older rigs are so much more fun. They have TONS of character. Don't get me wrong, there are some SUPER nice new ones out there, they have everything you could want in them and more. But, call me crazy, I kinda want to be inconvienced a little when I'm camping. Plus, how much fun can you have worring and being careful not to break anything on you $500,000 rig??? I like knowing that if we end up not going camping for a year, or two, or three, I'm still not "paying" every month for it to just "look pretty" in my yard! Ha!

Anyways, love the thread, you all seem like great fun! And once the Travco is all fixed up, I may just have my dad paint "Mines paid for, is yours?" on the back! Just kidding!!!

PS. Here's some more pics and if you've got a name suggestion pass it on. I've kinda tossed around either Tank or Fezzik (from The Princess Bride, my favorite movie).

1972 Travco 270
Me(37), Hubby(36), Little Man(11), Princess(5), Boxer(6)
1972 Travco 270-Fezzik
TVs-2004 4Runner, 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel
2006 Bass Tracker 175
Coleman Sundome 6 tent
"More is not enough, too much is just right"

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
The beer goes in the coolers - it's better on ice ๐Ÿ˜‰

Food goes in the fridge, which is cooled by propane.

The genny is for the all-important coffee! (and to recharge the phones, laptops and batteries)

I'm gonna argue that last point... we use a French Press for coffee.
yummmm

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
LOL.........Thats right LeeAnn.:B
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
The beer goes in the coolers - it's better on ice ๐Ÿ˜‰

Food goes in the fridge, which is cooled by propane.

The genny is for the all-important coffee! (and to recharge the phones, laptops and batteries)

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
You caught me. I was kidding too. I don't run out, 'cause I don't typically drink any.

chinook440
Explorer
Explorer
I was just joking eye.

I wish i had a generator ! discounting the loud beastly BEAST on my work truck:M

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't stay cold. ๐Ÿ˜„

Besides, I don't think we've ever run out when we've been terribly far from a fresh supply.

chinook440
Explorer
Explorer
A generator just takes up extra space that could be used to carry more beer !!! :B