cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you can use Eternabond if the siding is corrugated.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
vaxination wrote:
whats the best sealant for resealing the side windows on a old school dodge aluminum sided rv? I got silicone only people have said thats not a good solution for weatherproofing rvs, which makes me wonder whats better?
Most people use Use butyl tape but it will fail over time, I sealed all of my windows with double sided Eternabond tape 2 inch wide and I folded it to make a one inch wide strip, It will be hard to remove the windows but it will seal them forever.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
3M 4200.
Search for it in this thread. Great stuff.

vaxination wrote:
whats the best sealant for resealing the side windows on a old school dodge aluminum sided rv? I got silicone only people have said thats not a good solution for weatherproofing rvs, which makes me wonder whats better?

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Vaxination,

Never use Silicone--it doesn't hold up well to UV and it is very difficult to get off completely where it does stick. Note that nothing sticks to residual Silicone--not even Silicone.

Use butyl tape. This is a sticky substance about 1/8" thick by 3/4" wide. You need to remove the windows and remove the old tape. Note that the old tape is most likely putty tape which is not nearly as good as butyl tape. Paint thinner works well to clean the residue. Then replace with the new tape. You will have to get butyl tape from an RV supply source.

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u3fe3CJuYY

Note that they use a silicone bead around the outside. I recommend ProFlex RV instead. It is not a silicone but is just as flexible and is made for RVs.

vaxination
Explorer
Explorer
1975 Dodge Sportsman 360 double barrel v8
500 watts of solar, 2k onan gennie
the never ending project ; ]

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Jer,
It has been pretty windy alright. You should have gave me a shout out that you were that close, I would have driven out to see you. The motorcycle park is only a couple miles or so from me.
5-6 MPG is pretty scary alright... hope your rebuild helps.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Al :). I was up in your area by the dump. There was a motocross race that my son-in-law was in. We went to watch on Sat. & Sun., you probably remember the winds we were having that day :(. I was driving right into a head wind and only got 5-6 MPG, maybe. Cost me almost $80.00 for the round trip :E .

Trish, I have a Holley 2210 (or maybe 2245) carb. to deal with, it's a 2 barrel! I got it off, found that the flange gasket was cracked and the gaskets for it were shot too. Checked the pump and it seemed to work OK, but the streams of gas on one side didn't spray directly into the venturi like it had something partly blocking the stream. I'll know more tomorrow when I start taking it apart. I'll keep everyone informed as I go. Sorry for the long post.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, no. That's the bf. He'd never rebuilt a TQ before (plenty of other carbs, though), but followed the directions in the box carefully (very carefully). I also got him the book on the ThermoQuad, I think on Amazon.

Oh, make sure your choke is pulling completely off. If it's not and is staying partially engaged, you'll use more gas.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry, you've got a ThermoQuad, right?
Yell at Leeann, she is a ThermoQuad guru.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jer,
Good to see you, what kind of milage did you think you got this last trip? My old Brougham seems pretty consistent at around 9 mpg, 10 on a good day. Good luck on the carb rebuild... I'll be curious to see how much your milage improves.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Well after just taking a short trip this last weekend (110 miles rd. trip), we used WAY too much gas. So I've decided to take the plunge and try to rebuild our carburetor on the RV:h. I haven't done this since I was a teenager and I'm really nervous about it. I think I'll start taking pictures as I go along to help me remember where things go and post them here. I'm also replacing the valve cover and various other gaskets and grommets as I can afford them. I have the valve covers off already and wish I had started taking pictures from the beginning :S as I'm shocked to see how clean the valve rockers are. They look new and as clean as a baby's bottom :B ! I was told by the P.O. that the engine had been rebuilt before, but did not say when. The speedometer says I only have 38,525 miles on the RV. It had 28,xxx when we bought it in 2002. I think we have only put 500 miles total on it in the last 3 yrs as it was down with a total roof rebuild, some structure & interior work ๐Ÿ˜ž 2 yrs. ago and we didn't use it at all that yr. Anyway, I could use any advice/help from anyone as I go. Thanks, Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

vaxination
Explorer
Explorer
WestBangor-
The PV rig is fine when driving, the previous owner took it on multiple trips to LA with no problem (6 hours) but I havent taken the beast on any big trips yet, i still need to do some routine maintainance before that endeavor.

the paint is just Killz2 indoor/outdoor house paint on the inside and rustoleum outdoor paint thats forumulated for aluminum siding on the outside. the rustoleum came with the rv, and the killz2 (gallon), masking tape, plastic sheeting, a cheap brush, roller, and pan cost me about 30 bucks. not too bad for a pretty vast improvement. I'll keep posting my updates as I make progress on the interior. I also need to reseal some of the windows when the weather dries out a bit.

I think I'm also going to upgrade my solar (PV) charge controller to a mppt one thats network compatible and logs up to 200 days of data so I can keep track of my solar intake, which I intend to graph on my website when I get it up.

WinnRicky76
Explorer
Explorer
I have just ran across this post and have begun reading everyones posts. It's exciting to be a part of a group who cherrishes their vintage Dodge based coaches. I'm on my 15th vintage coach (a bit of a addict I think) and it too is Dodge based, as was my 1971 Travco, my 1980 35ft Allegro, my 78 Georgie Boy Cruise Air, my 1976 Winnebago Brave, my 1972 Winnebago Brave, my 1978 33ft Foretravel and now my current 1978 Georgie Boy Swinger Executive Lounge. I cannot praise this chassis enough. Sure, they've been old coaches, but well kept and the engines just keep on running...and running...and running. Stronly too I might add. I've had 454s too of course and just about every one of them needed to have something done, and often, including engine rebuilds at as little as 23,000 original miles. My Dodges, nope. Yes, there are some things owners of Dodge Coaches must realize like ignition coils, always have one handy and cold starts in the middle of winter in Colorado, be patient and give 'her' time, she'll start and of course the gas consumption which in my opinion pales in comparison to the many repairs on newer motorhomes I see regularly. Their suspension left much to be desired but hey, it's a cottage on top of a chassis, and the coach is typically paid for so I won't complain and that can be changed or updated at anytime. I will very rarely even purchase or look at another Vintage coach that doesn't have a Dodge platform on which to ride on. I'm proud of my Dodges and look forward to many years of travel on top of one. Ricky - Denver, Colorado
Ricky Summers
78 Swinger Executive Lounge
Denver, Colorado
s.denverguy.ricky@gmail.com

WestBangorMI
Explorer
Explorer
VAXINATION
Have you traveled with the solar array in position? I am curious as to what effect it has on gas mileage. Is this permanently mounted?

Looks like you have done quite a bit of painting, your old home has a very unique vintage appearance inside. Looking at one shot with that paneled door it almost appears to be taken in an old apartment. So cozy looking.

There must be many of us old nuts out there that have possession of these treasured 70's Dodge motor homes. I have two, a 1972 Midas that has not been renovated YET! and my 77 Country Squire that I have named the BED RAM. I removed all the siding last year and re-skinned the entire exterior with OSB, I had to use the old siding carefully removing and reinstalling so the corners would fit.

This year I would like to do more with the interior, I have replaced some of the dark wood paneling with a vinyl coated paneling. I just may paint the closet and bathroom door, what do you suggest for paint?

You may look at my photobucket pictures HERE

I have been helping a friend patching and painting a few trucks this spring I have a big itch to get to the cab of my Bed Ram and get it done. Also replace my entrance door. I don't think any of us will ever really be finished with our motor homes, they will always be a project.

Just wanted to say Hi and that your home is looking good.
1977 Dodge 360 CB400
Country Squire

vaxination
Explorer
Explorer
So I promised some pictures of my tioga and I've been just busy lately enjoying the nice weather and getting that godawful 70s brown exterior covered up heres some shots and my photobucket album so you guys can follow along. I'll be posting some interior shots today after my second coat of killz. I've never seen an rv in such dire need of a makeover!
(as she sits today)

(the other side)

(as she was when i got her)

(now shes like this)

(she was unfinished when I got her)

heres the gallery for the interested
http://photobucket.com/vaxrv

thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, I'll get some shots next time I got the dog house off for the curious gear heads and I'll keep snapping as I keep working.

vax