cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Jer,
What a really nice score!.... I picked up an 84 Kountry Aire Ford chassis last summer (I had to actually buy mine though) that was in very good condition. I think mine has the same generator and fridge. Its a little bigger at 26'. I am keeping my dodge though as it is running fine and when the kids want to borrow one they can take to old Dodge. Congrats on new find. We need to go camping one of these weekends. Just somewhere close up in the Boise or Payette forest area. have a good summer.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Leeann & Trish, but I think I'm going to fix the water damage on the new one and sell the Dodge. The new one is in soooo much better mechanical condition as far as the drive train and chassis, the coach part is really an easy fix. As much as I liked the Dodge as it has been my first one, I'm just getting tired of working on it all the time. I'd like to be able to just enjoy one for a while. I've had so many surgeries now, my body is telling me to slow down. So unless I find something really wrong with the new one, I think that's going to be what I do. I'll keep in touch here as I've learned so much from all the contributions that have been made. Thanks to all, Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
Just made our third trip from Albuquerque to Virginia with the 1973 Dodge Executive. Last two trips used the Dodge to tow a 4 thousand pound trailer as we make the move. Solid 8 mpg, no overheating or mechanical issues at all. Best $1200 I ever spent.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Huh, sounds like something I'd do.
Keep the old hinges & hardware. Trust me.

Leeann wrote:
Sam was up on the roof today, cleaning up an ant infestation and putting a new tarp on top.
And put his foot through one of the roof vents...sigh.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
You did real good.

Mirrors and door knobs and drawer slides and vents and steps and and ...

Jer&Ger wrote:
Here's a link to pics of our "new to us" RV: here

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Sam was up on the roof today, cleaning up an ant infestation and putting a new tarp on top. And put his foot through one of the roof vents...sigh.

So I just bought 3 on eBay, each with a 12v fan. Two white, one smoke. Not a bad price, either. So airflow will be improved when we're not running the AC.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, Jer - that's worth it for the 6.0 KW Onan, the larger fridge, the AC and the TV antenna!
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to pics of our "new to us" RV: here
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

stevegriffith22
Explorer
Explorer
Brother...

I'm chasing a elctrical issue too. I too have checked with a couple of mechanics with the ski area and the head mechanic for 30 years at the county (runs all the buses for seattle) they all sent me to brad at napa in north bend wa 425 8881112. He is chasing a demond with me as well. He has made some amazing fixes.

My issue is that although I get constant 9-12 amps at the coil, my coil wire doesn't always send power to the distributor. I know about cap, roters, pic ups ect. but call brad.

sg

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Fierystorm,

Did you ever check the grounds (including the battery ground)?

What is the voltage across the battery when the engine is running?

What is the voltage from the dash voltage regulator?

You refer to the "oil temp" gauge. Did you mean oil pressure? Mine only has an oil pressure gauge.

You also refer to the "engine gauge." Did you mean water temp gauge?

My Dodge '79 has four gauges, fuel, water temp, amps, and oil pressure.

Have you checked the voltage at each gauge?

Have you checked all the fuses?

fierystorm
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone! Been too long since I have posted anything. I did get that nice RV that I wanted (I need to do some photos)!

This is what it is:

Make DODGE (Sportsman)
Model B300
Submodel BASE
Engine Type V8
Liter 7.2
CID 440
Engine Size 7.2L/440
Beginning Year 1975
Ending Year 1978
Engine Family Mopar big block RB

I've been fortunate that it is in very good shape and I've been working on it slowly to where I can take some trips with my fiance. But, as always, there are a few bugs to work out.

Okay, I have a bit of an electrical issue that is stumping the heck out of me that perhaps one of you generous and well seasoned RV individuals could maybe help me out with. :W

Here it is - my main dashboard gauges for oil temp, engine temp and fuel (just to state, I do have appx. half a tank of fuel currently) are not working. Alt gauge responds just fine, like it should since it doesn't need a limiter, naturally. My oil temp gauge seems locked on 40. Engine gauge doesn't respond at all.

Now, automatically I'm sure all of you would have the same thought I did - it's either a bad ground or, more than likely, the dashboard limiter.

So I do some research, talked to the guys at NAPA, found the correct dashboard limiter, ordered it, stuck it in and kept my fingers crossed.

And I thought the original problem was annoying... Here's what came next:

After installing the new part, connecting the battery and turning my engine on, something, well... really weird happened. My oil temp gauge immediately shot straight up to maximum. My engine gauge slowly, over the course of 35 to 40 seconds did the same. No change to my fuel gauge in any way. :?

Scratching my head I wondered if either myself or one of the friendly folks at NAPA made a mistake on the limiter. However, it is apparently the only one that would fit my system.#ECH IR9

So on a whim I did something - I put the old voltage limiter back into the dashboard. I reconnect everything. Turn my engine on. And wouldn't you know it... something odd happens.

My oil gauge immediately jumped to 40. My engine gauge moved to just a little past 20, then stayed there even though my engine was on for a while. No change in the fuel gauge.

Although I know that my fuses under my dashboard have nothing to do with the gauges other than lighting I still decided to go ahead and, despite all of them being fine, changed them all with fresh, shiny new fuses.

So any thoughts? I've been thumbing through my service manuals but I'm not seeing where the problem could be. I'm usually a fair hand at anything electrical, but AC stuff, not DC. I'd really appreciate any help on this matter because oii, I'm lost!:h

Thanks all!! And it's great to get to be a part of this thread!
~Fiery
Aka Mike

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
You did good.

Look at all the replacement parts you have now --water, furnace, A/C, "coach stuff" like cargo doors, windows & window cranks, door locks, steps... Cushions, too, unless they got wet.

And a good generator. :0)

Happy Birthday!
Trish

Jer&Ger wrote:
Hi everyone. I just got a nice Birthday Surprise. I have been watching Craige'sList ... I came across an ad for an RV for parts. When I opened up the ad I quickly realized that the poster was offering a FREE RV:C to anyone willing to get it out of the yard. It is an "84" Coachman Leprechaun 23', 5.7 ltr. with water damage, a working Onan 4.0k generator & 3 way refrigerator, forced ducted heat & Coleman Air. I called (turns out I was first), went to look at it, and she gave me the title, just like that :B! The water damage doesn't look that bad either. How's that for luck? Jerry P.S. The only problem is....It's a Chevy :W.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
Hi everyone. I just got a nice Birthday Surprise. I have been watching Craige'sList in our area for a while now hoping to find a buy I couldn't refuse. Well, I came across an ad for an RV for parts. When I opened up the ad I quickly realized that the poster was offering a FREE RV:C to anyone willing to get it out of the yard. It is an "84" Coachman Leprechaun 23', 5.7 ltr. with water damage, a working Onan 4.0k generator & 3 way refrigerator, forced ducted heat & Coleman Air. I called (turns out I was first), went to look at it, and she gave me the title, just like that :B! The water damage doesn't look that bad either. How's that for luck? Jerry P.S. The only problem is....It's a Chevy :W.

Happy Burtday 2 ewes.:B
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
In response to a previous post... I always used Marvel Mystery Oil in my Gasoline Engines, IN THE GASOLINE. It is was advertised as a 'top end oil'.

I found that it helped alleviate the pre ignition knock I suffered 'at altitude'. Not totally sure about the Crankcase application?

I also don't like solvents in my gasoline except a couple of tanks prior to engine oil change. Too much chance of ring bypass and oil breakdown. Perhaps I'm a bit spooky about possible complications, but I just don't like to do 'full overhauls'. My rod and main bearings NEED to last as long as possible.

JM$.02... Don't mean to be critical of others.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
Hi everyone. I just got a nice Birthday Surprise. I have been watching Craige'sList in our area for a while now hoping to find a buy I couldn't refuse. Well, I came across an ad for an RV for parts. When I opened up the ad I quickly realized that the poster was offering a FREE RV:C to anyone willing to get it out of the yard. It is an "84" Coachman Leprechaun 23', 5.7 ltr. with water damage, a working Onan 4.0k generator & 3 way refrigerator, forced ducted heat & Coleman Air. I called (turns out I was first), went to look at it, and she gave me the title, just like that :B! The water damage doesn't look that bad either. How's that for luck? Jerry P.S. The only problem is....It's a Chevy :W.
We are waiting on the great photos.........:C
Without Trucks,....America Stop's