cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many use HAM vs C/B for rig to rig etc?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and Gents,
The subject of C/Bs gets brought up every so often and is debated whether or not folks still install and use them. But, not many mention too much about HAM radios. I know and understand that the use of HAM radios requires a license as, I have one. I've had it for 8 years and have dabbled only a small amount in it. But, from my short experimentation with HAM so far, mostly at home with a small hand held handy talkie but, also a tad bit of use of a mobile unit in one of my vehicles, I've found it to be considerably stronger in signal and capabilities.

There's all kinds of technical reasons why they perform better and I won't go into them now. But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

For those of you that care and or, are wondering, the higher the level of license, the more frequencies you can use, different ranges, and a whole lot more.

While traveling in groups, even two or more, C/Bs in the past have been outstandingly helpful and, whether or not I (and anyone I may travel with, on or off road)migrate over to HAM radios for the same basic communications, remains to be seen.

For anyone interested, acquiring the first level of HAM license is phenomenally simple. There is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a few years)a requirement to know Morse Code. There are classes all over the U.S. that are one day classes and, at the end of the session, you take your 35 question test and, are issued your license. The folks that volunteer for teaching and helping administrate those sessions are outstanding people.

Anyway, just wondering, just how many might already be using HAM radios for coach to coach, Jeep to Jeep type communications and how do you like it vs the old "C/B" stuff?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
68 REPLIES 68

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
KE6IRJ wrote:
As an avid offroad driver, HAM all the way. I can tell a first hand testimony where HAM literally saved lives. I also can tell you a personal story where 2M came to my rescue. I have a CB because not everyone is licensed, but prefer HAM every day.

KE6IRJ,
KI6OND here. Lake Havasu City. I surely thank you and everyone else that's answered here on this subject. Since you seem to have experience in off roading with HAM, can you be a bit more explicit on how well it performs? Are you talking about "simplex" or what? Sometimes using repeater when you're in the middle of no where, is not practical. So, does hills, canyons etc. inhibit the transmissions or, does any of that not have any effect at all?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
Stories...

Let me get to a home computer, typing on mobile is too tough.
Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Ham and you can get more distance when you use repeaters.
with the 11meter skip in you can do WAY better distance wise with a VHF HT. CB range right now is very limited unless you want to talk across the country.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
My dad was a ham (W0RQC) and I grew up with it. He had a mobile unit that really enriched our travels. I've been thinking about getting a license for years but just never did it. I've heard that a lot of HAMs are getting older and it's not as popular as it once was with the advent of the cell phone.

KE6IRJ - would love to hear your stories. Might convince me to get with it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where have all of the truckers gone? Cell phones, HAM or?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ham and you can get more distance when you use repeaters.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
HAM? I'm still studying to get a CB license. :B

KE6IRJ
Explorer
Explorer
As an avid offroad driver, HAM all the way. I can tell a first hand testimony where HAM literally saved lives. I also can tell you a personal story where 2M came to my rescue. I have a CB because not everyone is licensed, but prefer HAM every day.
Brian
2010 Keystone Springdale SG294BHSSR
2006 Ford F250 Superduty SB 4x4

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer
Communications will depend on which Ham band you use, close range 2 or 6 meters, long range 10 meters, other bands not usable because of antenna size.
Retired Old W4PFR/KZ5DL 50'S-60's