cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many use HAM vs C/B for rig to rig etc?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Ladies and Gents,
The subject of C/Bs gets brought up every so often and is debated whether or not folks still install and use them. But, not many mention too much about HAM radios. I know and understand that the use of HAM radios requires a license as, I have one. I've had it for 8 years and have dabbled only a small amount in it. But, from my short experimentation with HAM so far, mostly at home with a small hand held handy talkie but, also a tad bit of use of a mobile unit in one of my vehicles, I've found it to be considerably stronger in signal and capabilities.

There's all kinds of technical reasons why they perform better and I won't go into them now. But, this post is primarily for those who have experience with HAM radios, maybe use them from RV to RV while traveling and or, also my use them in say, Jeep to Jeep while venturing off road. My level of license is TECHNICIAN and, there are two levels higher.

For those of you that care and or, are wondering, the higher the level of license, the more frequencies you can use, different ranges, and a whole lot more.

While traveling in groups, even two or more, C/Bs in the past have been outstandingly helpful and, whether or not I (and anyone I may travel with, on or off road)migrate over to HAM radios for the same basic communications, remains to be seen.

For anyone interested, acquiring the first level of HAM license is phenomenally simple. There is no longer (and hasn't been for quite a few years)a requirement to know Morse Code. There are classes all over the U.S. that are one day classes and, at the end of the session, you take your 35 question test and, are issued your license. The folks that volunteer for teaching and helping administrate those sessions are outstanding people.

Anyway, just wondering, just how many might already be using HAM radios for coach to coach, Jeep to Jeep type communications and how do you like it vs the old "C/B" stuff?
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND
68 REPLIES 68

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Thats why I like mail order, the only downside is that you don't get to handle them before purchase.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
As for vendors, google HRO or AES. They both have stores nationwide. If there is no store close to you, they will gladly send you a catalog, and will accept online or phone orders.

Yep,
We had/have an "HRO" or, Ham Radio Outlet in San Diego. We called it the "Candy Store". They have so much Radio gear, antennas, cable, do-dads, and just about every thing under the sun that has anything to do with HAM radios. We don't have much over here in Lake Havasu though. That's ok, My little HT (Yeasu VX-170) is all I can handle right now. Later, when I go for General, we'll see about getting a good mobile unit.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
As for vendors, google HRO or AES. They both have stores nationwide. If there is no store close to you, they will gladly send you a catalog, and will accept online or phone orders.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
down home wrote:
All we have s GMRS radios and the range in a city is a bit over a mile. Not acceptable.
Have hand held CB and Teaberry, in coach. Handheld is next to worthless.
I have been considering a couple of handheld 2 meter radios, initially and a base unit later with patch to telephone.
Use to be along time ago in a far distant galaxy Radio Shack was the go to place for Ham equipment. Nothing today. That's the problem finding a store that is knowledgeable and has Ham equipment.
I have found some small concerns with one or two 2 meter radios and fire and rescue stuff with prices of two grand, for tow handhelds.
What I need is, if I ever go hunting again a unit with a 40 mile range with not much probability of repeaters, around here. Cell phones don't work a quarter mile beyond here, at RxR tracks.
Perhaps a 2 meter with VHF for Canada, and or ten meter.
How much power can be hand in a handheld?
Is there a catalog or store that handles Ham equipment with information on what is needed and does not cost a few thousand to get into?

In most hand held 2 meter radios, you're looking at max of 5 watts. As for mobile units for your car, 25/60/65/75 watts and more is the norm. Don't know what your "Concerns" with 1 or 2 meter handhelds and, I also don't know about the fire and rescue stuff as we used 800MHZ stuff on our department.
Scott
Not sure what the "fire and Rescue" thing is either. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the amateur band.

As far as a 40 mile range, that simply won't come close to happening unless you are on a mountaintop. On the flatlands you will be very lucky to get 5 miles reliably on a VHF handheld, and MUCH less on the higher bands or canyon terrain.

If you want reliable comms at 40 miles you better be looking at Iridium satellite services because it ain't going to happen any other way sans a repeater
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
....snip snip ......
I have found some small concerns with one or two 2 meter radios and fire and rescue stuff with prices of two grand, for tow handhelds.
What I need is, if I ever go hunting again a unit with a 40 mile range with not much probability of repeaters, around here.
....snip snip....

Baofeng makes hand held for the amateur market.... They very inexpensive, but going 40 miles is a stretch at best on a HH, also with VHF/UHF simplex may be tough in mountainous terrain. Seen some HH with up to 8 watts, but they still don't do as well, the antenna is basically a wire wound dummy load.

HF....life below 30Mhz would be better if you had an amp and a great antenna system.

You talk about hunting.....not sure what you want to do but I have a dual bander radio that can be set up as a repeater from my truck, if hand helds can reach it, THAT can be your repeater, just use a separate 12 v source. If you are interested PM me. I have done this before, legally, then again this is using amateur radio bands.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my ticket just over a year and intend on bringing my rig with me. Not just for over the road but when parked as a hobby. I purchased the smallest hf vhf rig the Yeasu 857d. Its the size of a car radio. From my QTH I have spoken out 5,000 miles and routinely much closer. Soon we will be expanding our trips from FHU to the park system as there is so much to see. (no facitlities) Traveling already I have been in spots with zero internet and zero cellphone service. Ham radio I can get a message out if needed even email and texting. I will be analyzing antennas and soon will pick something that I can set up in a flash as well as something on the tv when moving. Recently I was turning the knob and came across the "RV Services Net". A net, which is a just a frequency and time that like minded individuals meet, they are a net by and for rvers. Whether your over the road or in your qth.Soon I will become a member and start meeting people like us. CB I use as the truckers squak about traffic issues. I leave chan 19 on. When traffic gets nasty a call out usually provides a good work around and has saved us countless idling hours. It can be a little spicy but the truckers know how to get from a to b asap.

PS What portable antennas does everyone use? I was thinking about a Buddi Pole or an Alpha both are multi band and fold up into a small bag. A dipole could present issues if no trees are around.

Happy trails & 73's k2bkr
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
All we have s GMRS radios and the range in a city is a bit over a mile. Not acceptable.
I have been considering a couple of handheld 2 meter radios, initially and a base unit later with patch to telephone.
Use to be along time ago in a far distant galaxy Radio Shack was the go to place for Ham equipment. Nothing today. That's the problem finding a store that is knowledgeable and has Ham equipment.
What I need is, if I ever go hunting again a unit with a 40 mile range with not much probability of repeaters, around here. Cell phones don't work a quarter mile beyond here, at RxR tracks.
Is there a catalog or store that handles Ham equipment with information on what is needed and does not cost a few thousand to get into?

In most hand held 2 meter radios, you're looking at max of 5 watts. As for mobile units for your car, 25/60/65/75 watts and more is the norm. Don't know what your "Concerns" with 1 or 2 meter handhelds and, I also don't know about the fire and rescue stuff as we used 800MHZ stuff on our department.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
dstock50 wrote:
Go Ham 10/11 or 6&2, they will help you out in case of need, did Charleston SC to Petaluma CA with Heath-kit mobile, Base was HT-32, Sx101, Th-4 triband/w vertical for 40 meters and a pair of 250's for boost

Sure glad you know what you're talking about 'cause that's all GREEK to me.
Scott

the 6&2 refers to the meter portion of the band, 2 meters for HAMS is 144.0 to 148Mhz and 6 meters is 50.0-to 54.0 MHz. Its easier to reference the wavelength number versus a specific frequency.....

calculator

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
dstock50 wrote:
Go Ham 10/11 or 6&2, they will help you out in case of need, did Charleston SC to Petaluma CA with Heath-kit mobile, Base was HT-32, Sx101, Th-4 triband/w vertical for 40 meters and a pair of 250's for boost

Sure glad you know what you're talking about 'cause that's all GREEK to me.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
VHF commercial runs from 150-174 & UHF is 450-512 with the ham bands preceding both. MURS is cool and very few people know it exists, but as you say, it's a 2W service.

People like Ruggid Radios and many others like them have been a pain in the FCC's side for awhile now. Without clearing it with me first our staff security folks bought an entire fleet of radios for the LA studios, they show up, work well, until they started hearing chat they shouldn't have, then they call me. These radios came loaded with local railroad security, a taxi service, a local fire agency, and the one they heard: The City of Long Beach SWAT Tactical channel. All these services are properly licensed and coordinated, and these idiot resellers just pack them full of random channels and send them on their way. They decided to play hardball not allowing us to return the radios nor program them until our FCC Attys. threatened to sue and also included the letter I sent the commission. The favorite for all the desert rats seems to be loading up with VHF marine channels thinking they are fine to bootleg there, except the Coast Guard has high mountain receive sites all over the place listening for offshore distress calls and all they hear are sand buggies in the desert 50+ miles in the other direction. Isn't that special.......
Jeff - WA6EQU

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
According to the PCI website, the UHF frequencies are in the 150-153 Mhz range.
They also do not mention licensing.

Since GMRS requires a license, and Amateur radio requires a license, it is logical to assume that "Race Radios" must also have a license.

Further research (google search) indicates that the "race radios" are in the MURS (Multiple Use Radio Service), the radios are limited to 2 watts, and no license is required. However, the radios must be type accepted by the FCC. Using any Ham radio modified to broadcast on the 150 Mhz band is illegal (too much power, not type accepted).
Yes, the FCC has been watching those frequencies, and has been issuing citations for improper use.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
Nobody has mentioned the race radios? Like from PCI or Ruggedradios? I have a group of about ten rigs that travel together. We used to use CB's. That works for just a small caravan. But, if all ten were running together, there would be problems getting from the front to back. So, we all moved to race radios. We have them in our motorhomes, tow vehicles, and sand toys. The 50 watt radios are amazing how far they can get out. Easily 25 miles, and it is not line of sight. They get out over mountains and sand dunes. When we go out 4wheeling for the day, they can monitor us in base camp. Actually needed them to save us last year!
And all those radios are licensed correct?

I just looked through the RuggidRadios site and they make no mention whatsoever of the operating frequencies nor the fact that a license is required for each and every radio, either singly or as a group. And law enforcement and public service wonder where all the interference is coming from...
Jeff - WA6EQU