cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW MUCH LONGER

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
I just turned 82 although I don't feel it. I wondering how many are in that age bracket and how much longer do you think you will be wheeling a motor home around. I hope to do so for another 8 to 10 years. I've spent most of my life with teen agers, teaching was my career. I think that has helped keep me young and a little crazy. :W
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
30 REPLIES 30

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Happy second 41st birthday! (And many more!)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

shaneperch
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
I just turned 82 although I don't feel it. I wondering how many are in that age bracket and how much longer do you think you will be wheeling a motor home around. I hope to do so for another 8 to 10 years. I've spent most of my life with teen agers, teaching was my career. I think that has helped keep me young and a little crazy. :W

Well I don't know about how long you will be driving. HOWEVER I was taught how to pass my schoolbus driver's test and motorcoach test by an 84 year old that loved what he did he is still driving as a relief driver for the basket ball team and he is 89. I know a priest that would say Mass at my church who was 96 and drove with a lead foot all the way from Jefferson City to Mansfield Mo which is 180 miles . We are living much longer and my Father who turned 73 this month is traveling running an electrical company doing federal contracts. I think you should be driving for at least 10 more years. I am 45 I could die tomorrow and not drive and you can go for another 10/15 years. never know. This is my opinion.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Treasure every moment---3 weeks ago I left my perfectly healthy, active, 72 year old, Wife for 1 hour....during my absence she had a massive stroke. The DP sits and life has stopped. I spend every day with her, first in ICU, and now in a rehab facility. I am 74 and can tell you to treasure the time you have and never let an adventure remain undone....And hug the one you love.......

I'm so sorry that this happened to your beloved. As you say, cherish every moment.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diffacult personal decision for anyone with how much we all enjoy the pleasure of hitting the road in our rigs and the time we spend behind the wheel. All of us will be reluctant stop when the time comes but we need to just be honest with ourselves and take advise of family and others to pass the keys and move to the curb side seat.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Treasure every moment---3 weeks ago I left my perfectly healthy, active, 72 year old, Wife for 1 hour....during my absence she had a massive stroke. The DP sits and life has stopped. I spend every day with her, first in ICU, and now in a rehab facility. I am 74 and can tell you to treasure the time you have and never let an adventure remain undone....And hug the one you love.......

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
You are certainly blessed. My dad is also 82 and because of his AD had to surrender his DL at 79.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
egh33 wrote:
Hang in there, you are getting old. I'm only 81 for a few more months yet. Still going pretty darn good. But I do notice those steps getting into the MH are a little harder to get up.
Happy Birthday

The last time I washed the motor home I told someone it was much longer, wider and higher than it was when I first started washing it 12 years ago and the ladder I use has more steps than it did when I was 68 and started RVing. 🙂
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Up until a couple years ago we had two guys who volunteered at FMAC rally in Indio. One was 91 the other 94. The 94 year old not only drove his own motor home but directed the parking of other coaches.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you stop driving is between you and your doctor. If you feel OK and your doctor agrees that your vision and motor skills are OK then go for it.
Just be honest with yourself because your life and those that share the road with you are at stake.

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Hang in there, you are getting old. I'm only 81 for a few more months yet. Still going pretty darn good. But I do notice those steps getting into the MH are a little harder to get up.
Happy Birthday

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Happy birthday.

I just had some fence installed at my S&B. Two guys did the installation.
The one was 84, he dug holes and moved the concrete bags, posts and wood panels around with no problem.
And, it was a very hot/humid day.
They did a great job on the fence.

You have a lot of RVing in your future.
Enjoy your travels.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
All I can say is "keep on rv'ing". Happy Birthday btw.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not old, I've just been young for a very long time
Shopping for Travel Trailer

separated1
Explorer
Explorer
82 years young! Keep it up, it's probably what's keeping you active.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Keep having fun and stay young.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab