cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often to change the oil?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I know most vehicles (RV included) require oil changes every 4000-6000 miles.

How long do you let the RV sit in storage before changing the oil (assuming you are short on the mileage)?

I plan on using the RV at least once a month during spring and fall and twice a month during the summer. It will probably sit in storage all winter (2-3 months).
14 REPLIES 14

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Motor oil does not break down sitting in storage.

Oil change recommendations based on time assume that the vehicle is being used regularly (almost daily) but only for short trips. This type of service is harder on lubricants than continuous non-stop use, which drives the mileage recommendations.

The. way you are using yours, I would do an oil change before putting it into storage for the winter.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Send a sample to blackstone labs at 5 k and then you will know what your engine is doing based on your use.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Minimum every spring and every 5,000 miles during the season with semi synthetic. Oil is cheap. Engines are not.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Once a year is enough, and 10,000+ miles on full synthetic is no problem for the V10. I've gone as far as 15,000.

But if I had to run a lower grade oil, or doing lots of in-town driving, then I did it at 5,000 miles.

I generally use the Napa Gold filter. It's good and cheap. Usually on sale for ~$7.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I do about 9,000 miles a year, and change 2x, usually around now at the start of the season and then about 1/2 way through, targeting never going over a 5k interval. Motorcraft 5w-20 and a FL-820S filter, available as said at any WallyWorld or Advance/AutoZone.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Sealed up inside the motor. not dirty unless it is ran. should last as long as it would in a can on the shelf.

Not necessarily true.

Part of what contaminates oil is chemical products of combustion and sometimes a tiny bit of raw fuel. Then there is water condensation that results from "winter" temperature swings.

I use synthetic and change on mileage, which turns out to be about once a year. I run it once a month during storage.

BUT.....ample personal testimony exists indicating that it really doesn't make any measurable difference, as long as you don't deviate TOO far from the recommendations.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran Mobil 1 5w-20 about 8 months and then Mobil 1 5W-20 EP 21 months before change both 4200 miles or so and did an oil analysis. Didn't see any issues. I would be most concerned about the cellulose oil filter so am now running a Ford racing filter w/synthetic media on an extended run.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I'm just worried about our investment.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
At whatever time interval or mileage you would normally become nervous about it, send a sample for analysis. That should give you a good starting point.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I change mine at 10,000 miles regardless of time. Ford calls for 5,000 and some time interval... so what.
I do not make short trips. Always put away hot. 190k and doing just fine.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sealed up inside the motor. not dirty unless it is ran. should last as long as it would in a can on the shelf.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about your 2007, but for our 2003 E450 Ford recommends their Motorcraft 5W-20 semi synthetic oil. The filter is the Motorcraft 820S. Both available at Walmart.

I change the oil and filter every 5,000 miles, although I have gone over that number somewhat a few times on long trips.

During long periods between trips (mainly Winter) we take a drive to a mall about 20 miles away to give the engine, drive train, brakes and other moving parts some "exercise". IMO regular exercise is good preventive maintenance.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Conventional dino oil breaks down over time. That means if you only use your RV a few times some years you still need to change oil about once a year at least. With synthetic oil it is possible to go much longer.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I use synthetic oil, and do not worry about how long it sits. I do think that it needs to be started, and let run until it warms up well, to keep fresh oil recirculated from the drain back up into all the engine parts. Without mileage, the age of the oil makes no difference. With synthetic, I plan oil changes closer to 10,000 miles, whenever it is convenient.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.