cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How practical is the sliding bunk over cab in Class A's?

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any families here who use the kind of sliding-down bunk over the cab in a Class A, who would care to share their experience with it? I'm curious how effective they are. Wondering if they're a pain to put up and down, blow up the mattress every day, pull out blankets and pillows, etc. On vacation, we drive nearly every day, plus the kids take naps, so this will be a more than once daily process.

We have always rented a Class C with the nice permanent bunk over the bed, which is perfect for the kids. So that's what we're shopping for. I've seen more recent model A's with that sliding bunk, and now getting to thinking that it might be a good option.

This weekend, I'm hoping to test drive the Thor Hurricane 32a I mentioned in another thread, which has that kind of bunk.
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) 😄
www.vacaywheels.com
_
22 REPLIES 22

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the 90's we had a 23ft chieftain that had a bunk over the front of the coach. I never used it for it's primary purpose, but instead had an HO scale model railroad built in that space. I loved it!!!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think they are just fine for those who want it. RV's vary so much, just get the things you think you'll need.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
vjstangelo wrote:
OK, not to stir the pot, but why not class C vs A with overhead bunk?

I've found it more enjoyable to drive the truck chassis than the van. Feels more solid to me. A 31-foot motorhome on a van chassis feels like it's asking too much of the van. Also I really don't like the bunk sticking out in front of the windshield. Last but not least, we've found the E450 to be too cramped and loud for us.

We may still yet get a gas Class C, but it would be a Chevy 4500-based unit. Also like the NeXus diesel Super C. The cab is so big and roomy, you can't even see the overhead cab. But it's quite a bit of $$$.

Next up in the test drive queue is a Newmar Bay Star 3215, which is available with a drop-down bunk. Great Newmar quality, huge tanks, and 3700lb of NCC! Down side is it's pretty expensive too, and there are none on the used market with the drop-down, so it's new only.
www.vacaywheels.com
_

rcmiller32
Explorer
Explorer
For us we did not go looking for the front drop down bunk. We went looking at new trailers. Went into the smaller gas motorhomes and ended up with the class A. I wanted the heavier truck based chassis over the van chassis. Have worked on both types of chassis over the years and wanted the higher GVWR and heavier axles and springs. The drop down bunk was a bonus for use. I can stand up in the drivers area and do not have to duck down getting in and out of the drivers seat. I can leave the seats sitting were I need them for driving and still lower the bunk down for use.
2014 Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP
2016 Ford C-Max Energi
Member FROG, FMCA, Life Member Good Sam Club, Member Coachmen Owners Association

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
OK, not to stir the pot, but why not class C vs A with overhead bunk?
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

aviator37
Explorer
Explorer
Our Thor Hurricane has the pull-down electric bed over the drivers seats. This can be deployed quickly and easily once you become familiar with how the thing works. I need to make sure the driver/passenger seats are configured correctly before the bed can be lowered to it's lowest position. Practice with the thing at home first get the hang of it.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
We have found the drop down bunk is great on long stays as extra storage space.

Have never used it for sleeping girls like the fold out couch.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
stvdman wrote:
Effy wrote:
The best new drop down bunk I have seen will be on the 2015 Coachmen Sportscoach Cross Country 404RB. It's called a "salon bunk". It's a 12 foot long bunk that drops down from the bulkhead over the dinette and sofa. Long enough to sleep 2. When up it's totally concealed. It's a belt driven mechanism. I can't find any pics on line but it was featured in the new Motorhome magazine (pg 52). This could open up a whole new range of bunks essentially combining drop down and bunkhouse ideas in one. I love it.

Has anyone found a picture or more info on the above model online? I may try to find a copy of the new MOTORHOME magazine to get a look at it.

We currently have a bunk-house Super C and as time has gone by and the kids get bigger the bunks seem to get smaller/tighter. And as I get closer to retirement and potenitally have much more traveling w/o the kids in the plans, the full time bunks become less of a need and a larger coach with "part-time" bunks is interesting.

TurboJimmy posted a youtube about 3 posts back in this thread. Short but you get the idea.

short video
2013 ACE 29.2

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
The best new drop down bunk I have seen will be on the 2015 Coachmen Sportscoach Cross Country 404RB. It's called a "salon bunk". It's a 12 foot long bunk that drops down from the bulkhead over the dinette and sofa. Long enough to sleep 2. When up it's totally concealed. It's a belt driven mechanism. I can't find any pics on line but it was featured in the new Motorhome magazine (pg 52). This could open up a whole new range of bunks essentially combining drop down and bunkhouse ideas in one. I love it.

Has anyone found a picture or more info on the above model online? I may try to find a copy of the new MOTORHOME magazine to get a look at it.

We currently have a bunk-house Super C and as time has gone by and the kids get bigger the bunks seem to get smaller/tighter. And as I get closer to retirement and potenitally have much more traveling w/o the kids in the plans, the full time bunks become less of a need and a larger coach with "part-time" bunks is interesting.

atperci
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter 32bh, which is the same model as the current Storm. The drop down bunk on the Encounter/Storm line is actually a residential sized queen bed, so lots of room, could easily fit three kids in a pinch. We removed the air mattress and put a 2" memory foam mattress on it instead. The mattress compresses easily and springs back within a few minutes. It works great for the kids, but maybe too thin for an adult.

The bunk lowers and raises quickly, and is very sturdy. The netting can stay in place and doesn't get tangled. We use sleeping bags most of the time and its easy enough to move and set up. As mentioned the front seats are not usable for an adult. But the space created under the bunk is a great hiding/play space for the kids, which is nice as it gives them they're own private area to play.

If I had to tear down and set it up two times a day, it might get to be a hassle. But remember the kids will grow out the naps soon enough. I couldn't tell clearly enough from your post, but I hope you weren't planning on driving with the kids up there, either napping or otherwise. We just leave ours down throughout the day, but we also have our towed vehicle (2005 Honda Pilot) to take around on our adventures. Much easier than breaking camp whenever we want to go somewhere, and much better gas mileage, too.

We are very happy with the layout, we also have a set of bunks amidships, so we have lots of room for our four kids and we don't have convert the dinette or couch every day/night. Good luck in your search, it took us months to decide and locate the perfect MH for us, but the right one is out there, don't give up.
Tom

smacdiesel
Explorer
Explorer
My Winnebago Vista has an electric actuated bunk, it works great and doubles as a storage area during long stays. It is a worth while option.
2015 Winnebago Vista 35B
1983 Jeep CJ 8 Scrambler

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Look at the new Winnebago Brave with old fashion eye brow design. Just like the old ones with a drop down bed.

I love the Brave, especially the styling. The problem is the drop down bunk only holds one kid, so what do you do with the other one, if you aren't willing to convert other furniture to a bed? 26A solves it by putting a second bunk above the parents bed, which is too weird for us. 27B and 31C don't solve it at all.
www.vacaywheels.com
_

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the new Winnebago Brave with old fashion eye brow design. Just like the old ones with a drop down bed.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:

That sounded really cool so I googled it and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_i9tpGiFJU

Very cool!

I have the old scissor-type bunk above the cockpit in my Allegro. It's pretty stable and can sleep 2 kids. Without it, we could only sleep 4 at most (I have twins in the back and a pull-out couch).

The other cool thing about the dropdown bunk is that it kind of becomes its own "room" when you close off the windshield curtains and the divider curtains.

Direct answer to the question: it's useful for kids or an adult in a pinch.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)