cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to blow out lines to winterize

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have always paid to winterized my RV but would really like to learn how to do it myself without just pouring antifreeze down the toilet and sinks. I would really like to use air on the lines butl do not have a clue. Can someone please tell me using the KISS principle on how to do this task. I am placing the RV indoors for the winter. Thank you in advance.
58 REPLIES 58

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
... So the water at either end will freeze first and block any expansion for the water in the middle. Will that be enough to burst your pipe? ...

Yes it will. There have been lots of studies. It isn't the ice that bursts the pipes, as it usually has a place to go. It is the trapped water between two pieces of ice, that can build to a very high pressure and burst the pipe, water being incompressible and all.

No, I don't put antifreeze in the lawn sprinkler system, but I do in my pool (12 gal per year!)

I wrote that because I have had hoses burst in the winter that had water in them but the end of the hose was open. So even with the harden hose not closed in, the hose still split so that's why I know it can happen at least to a garden hose. I have no idea if it will happen in a motorhome but I don't see why it couldn't.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
... So the water at either end will freeze first and block any expansion for the water in the middle. Will that be enough to burst your pipe? ...

Yes it will. There have been lots of studies. It isn't the ice that bursts the pipes, as it usually has a place to go. It is the trapped water between two pieces of ice, that can build to a very high pressure and burst the pipe, water being incompressible and all.

No, I don't put antifreeze in the lawn sprinkler system, but I do in my pool (12 gal per year!)
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
From experience----using air or the pink stuff--- always open the water heater bypass valve.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ricelake922 wrote:
Hello. I have always paid to winterized my RV but would really like to learn how to do it myself without just pouring antifreeze down the toilet and sinks. I would really like to use air on the lines butl do not have a clue. Can someone please tell me using the KISS principle on how to do this task. I am placing the RV indoors for the winter. Thank you in advance.

Just google it then decide what you feel good with - For 5 years I always used HEAT and it never failed me - but when we ordered the last Coach and it was left at the plant for service in the winter they used air - said it was the only way they would do it. So now I use air - for 10 years without a problem.

Google it - then you decide.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
The problem with just blowing out the lines is that there is always a low point in one of the lines to trap water. No matter how much air you put through it, you will always have water left in a line somewhere. Do it right with RV antifreeze and you will have no worries. $6 worth of antifreeze is better than ripping apart a wall to try and find a ruptured line!

You call it a problem but saying it does not make it true. If you blow out the lines, leaving a bit of water in the lines will not hurt anything. Do it right with air and you will also have no worries.
The poster asked how to do it. He has been told how to do it. It works and this is undisputable if done correctly. Anti-freeze works too, so if you want to go that route you will not get any arguments from me, either.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
BLOWING OUT CORRECTLY AND YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY WATER TO POOL. PERIOD! Doug

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know a lot about this stuff, but once thing I do know is you can't count on the "room to expand" argument here. If you have a pipe that has a low spot and that low spot has water in it, that water will freeze from the outside in. So the water at either end will freeze first and block any expansion for the water in the middle. Will that be enough to burst your pipe? I have no idea. I guess the answer is it all depends!

I do think that most modern RV's are made with freeze protection in mind. I think they do their best to avoid hanging pipes that would trap water. Of course that is with the exception of water traps in the drain system.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
I am a believer of air and pick both

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I used the air method once and only once. it didn't get all the water out and I had a busted fitting I had to repair, so now I use air and pink. haven't had a frozen fitting since.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
The problem with just blowing out the lines is that there is always a low point in one of the lines to trap water. No matter how much air you put through it, you will always have water left in a line somewhere. Do it right with RV antifreeze and you will have no worries. $6 worth of antifreeze is better than ripping apart a wall to try and find a ruptured line!

I believe your concern is entirely imaginary. I’ve been reading this forum and others for over 12 years and I have yet to hear of anyone who had ruptured pipes as a result of blowing out lines rather than using anti-freeze. Around here, people winterize cabins by draining and blowing out copper water lines.

Unlike copper or hard plastic, modern pex tubing used in RVs is flexible enough that it can freeze without bursting.

If pex fittings are full of water, they will probably rupture or the crimp will be pushed apart. Faucets, etc., will almost certainly freeze and burst if full of water. A little bit of residual water will do no harm because it is not under pressure to begin with and has room to expand.

If someone chooses to pump the pink stuff through their lines, that’s their choice. But don’t tell people that blowing out the lines doesn’t work or is risking burst lines.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Every year, it is the same argument.
Those of us who use air only keep saying "IT WORKS!"
Those who use anti-freeze keep saying "If you don't use anti-freeze, your lines will freeze and break!" or "The air method works only if it doesn't get really cold!"
Never mind that some of us who use the air method live in Montana and Wyoming where 20 to 30 below zero is not all that uncommon. Perhaps that isn't "REALLY COLD!"
I will be draining and blowing out the lines in my coach sometime next month. Next spring, I will sanitize the water system and fill it for use.
Just like I have done for the last several years.
"IT WORKS!"
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I use the live in California method and just never winterize. I find it to be very easy to do, but the taxes are killer!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, I let my air compressor build to 120 psi before connecting the hose. HOWEVER, I always have at least one faucet open. With the pressure drop through the air hose and the coupling and with a faucet open, there is never 60 psi of actual pressure in the MH lines.

The first year, I set the compressor to 60 psi and did the MH. Then I thought about the pressure drops, opened a faucet, and let the compressor build to 120 psi before having the DW connect the air hose. A lot more water came out!!

Anyway, it's worked for me in Minnesota for 9 years now.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve always blown out the lines and never had a problem. It isn’t necessary to get every molecule of water out; so long as the lines are mostly empty of water, what’s left will have room to expand harmlessly if it freezes. Besides, pex water lines won’t rupture if they freeze, although the fittings probably will.

With the current rig, I drain the water heater, open the low point drains, then blow out the icemaker and that lines that are left. Anti-freeze in the traps and toilet. Done. I close everything up because I don’t want insects seeking shelter in the water tank or lines. I sanitize the lines in the spring.

You should note that volume of air counts for more than pressure when blowing lines – the bigger the air tank, the faster and better you can clear the lines of water. I have a 7-gallon tank that I fill a couple of times when blowing the lines, and I wish I had a bigger tank that I did not feel I needed to fill again while winterizing.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540