cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I figure out my height?

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 national tropical with a Spartan chassis (moat seem to have a freightliner but mine is definitely a Spartan)

How do I figure out my height. I gotta drive through Manhattan today.

Thanks!!!
39 REPLIES 39

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I have two antennae on the front of the coach that are just higher than any other high point. If I am suspicious I will slow down to less than a walk an see if they hit. If so I can stop, disconnect the tow'd and back out. This only applies if I have not had other warning of low clearance. I had my coach measured by Escapees when I was having it corner weighed. they have a truckers pole with a horizontal bar on the top. With the coach on their level platform, they lower that to touch the high point and read the height off the scale. 12'6" I am sorry that is such a mundane approach it even eliminates arithmetic from the operation.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is parked in a Quonset. I measured from the highest point on the roof of the rv (AC) to the bottom of the building's roof truss. Then measured from the truss to the floor, and subtracted the difference. Voila!
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I measured from the garage ceiling to the satellite dome, than took that measurement from the floor to the ceiling. But need to shorten the radio a antenna, sounds bad when it hits limbs and lines.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
A 2000 Thor Hurricane 29D will motor right on through the Bankhead Tunnel in Mobile, AL. Ask me how I know. And I had never measured the Hurricane but was confident. My 2003 Fleetwood Expedition shows 12'1". I think I would exit to the right with it.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Hiking Hunter wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Hiking Hunter wrote:
If you really want to get accurate, take a box of donuts to a tire place or repair shop that has a roll up bay door and bribe the guy to let you use it for a few minutes. Pull in so your highest point is underneath the roll up door. Get on top of your RV, reach out to the side, drop a tape measure and measure from the bottom edge of the door to the ground. Then measure from the bottom edge of the door to your highest point. Subtract the small distance from the big distance.

My fifth wheel is 13'- 1 3/8" tall.

Why not just stay home and use a 2X4?

Because it's simpler, more accurate and you can do it by yourself.

Ok, if you think it is.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
Hiking Hunter wrote:
If you really want to get accurate, take a box of donuts to a tire place or repair shop that has a roll up bay door and bribe the guy to let you use it for a few minutes. Pull in so your highest point is underneath the roll up door. Get on top of your RV, reach out to the side, drop a tape measure and measure from the bottom edge of the door to the ground. Then measure from the bottom edge of the door to your highest point. Subtract the small distance from the big distance.

Because it's simpler, more accurate and you can do it by yourself.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're in a convertible, be very careful who you're following...just sayin...Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
mowermech wrote:
In many states, 13' 6" is the maximum allowable height of any vehicle.
It is a pretty safe bet that your coach is 13' 6" or less.

Edit: Delete Many (In the phrase Many States) Replaced with ALL.

But that is correct.

I thought about stating "All" or "most", but I knew if I did that somebody would hunt through all the possible websites and road atlas reference works and find the ONE state that had a 14 foot max height, or would find that 26 out of the 50 states have a max height other than 13-6, so I stated "many".
Sure enough, it has been corrected.
Ya jus' cain't win!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The height can also be measured with reasonably accuracy using a piece of paper or a stick and a tape measure without leaving the ground.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Tape measure and a 2x4. It's pretty simple.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Just always make sure there is a high truck-trailer in front of you. If he makes it through, then you(Maybe) can. Watch our for tunnels and underpasses that are lower on the sides than the center.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your wife how tall it is. Women know everything. :B

If you hit something, it will still be your fault. :S

Level from highest point held out so it overhangs edge....measure from lower portion of level to ground. Add a couple inches cause bigger is always better, and size does matter.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Hiking Hunter wrote:

2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have a lot of hair to pull out, cause you are going to go through a lot. Remember, no tunnels if you have propane on board. Short of that I wish you lots of luck. NYC is not a very RV friendly environment especially when it comes to finding parking.