cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Make the Leap

Adirondacker
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose I am trying to gauge if I am thinking rationally or a bad case of cabin fever...

I am thinking about making the leap from pulling a pop-up camper to a Class A motor home. I have been able to set my business up where I am able to manage it from home a good portion of time. With a decent cell phone signal or wifi I can do most of my work. As I approach 50 years of age, I think I do not want to wait until I am retired to see the country.

Most of my travel will limited to Summer and school holidays since my kids still have a few years left.

I am looking into possibly buying a used Class A that could sleep us and two dogs. Maybe in the range of less than $70,000.

I am wondering if I am thinking irrationally here.

Did any of you make the leap before you retired?
Did most of you start with smaller RV's or travel trailers?

What are my pitfalls?

I already have a place to park it when not being used. I am a hands-on kind of guy who can turn wrenches when needed. Can much of the maintenance be done DIY?

Can I expect a halfway decent Diesel pusher for <$70K?

Should I be concerned with a rig that has approx 100k in mileage? Or would years old be more of a concern?

Anyhow, I would appreciate any thoughts to help gauge my level of sanity. Thanks.

John
John
1999 Coleman Bayside Pop Up
2007 Chevy Suburban
2002 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab 4x4 with 7.3 PSD
24 REPLIES 24

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
We jumped from a tent to a 36' motorhome...no regrets. Bob retires this spring, but me not for 2 more years. Wish we had done it years ago. We decided because of age, and money to go for what we wanted the first time. We bought used and could not be happier. Sometimes we wait to long and then life makes decisions for us...go for it.
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
With what you've said I would absolutely do it. I work a desk job and have tried to get into a position to work remotely unsuccessfully for years. But it is a good job and vacation is decent so I am still able to take a good amount of trips a year with the family.

But I've always said to anyone who would listen that I would "travel" (stay somewhere else interesting other than home) three months out of the year if I could. We've "camped" for almost 10 years now and are very used to the lifestyle.

All the usual RV stuff applies so I won't repeat what others probably know more about (what type of rig should I buy, etc). But I will only add/repeat what was alluded to earlier - have at least two ways for you to access internet reliably for your business. It is your lifeline and I wouldn't depend on park wifi. Last I looked at it (should I get the chance to work off-site) I was thinking of a dish type internet setup (like DirecTV I guess) with a 4G mobile data plan for mobile in case the primary failed. That might be overkill, it depends on what kind of link you really need and the type of work you do.

With your kids having a few years left of school I'd take the opportunity. Wish you all the best!
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our MH some years ago while our kids were still in school and DH was working full time. Our hope was that when they left the nest, we'd be snowbirds. It was our first RV. It came from someone we knew, at what we felt was a good price. We aren't particularly handy, but we're prepared to pay others who are. That was five years ago. We've since traded the MH for a few more feet and a tag axle, and DH is semi-retired and works from home. The RV sits parked in our shop much of the year, but we aren't bothered by that. When we use it, we love the space and level of comfort. There is enough storage for us to put things away and be well organized. Since I do most of the driving, setup, and takedown, I like the ease of a MH. We will be empty nesters in Sept and plan to spend several months traveling.

Downsides?? We need a towed for getting around day to day. Second, we have one bed for us and one sleeper sofa that the two kids share. Anyone else has to sleep on the floor. That also means the bed needs to be made up each night and taken down each morning. Third, our size keeps us out of some campgrounds and parks due to site length or narrow streets/tight turns. Can't think of others. We really enjoy it.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a pop-up to a 35' class A. Used that one for a few years and upgraded to a 38' Newmar.

With your schedule it appears that a diesel would give you no return for the extra cost of just owning one as you plan to allow it to sit much of the year. A diesel sitting is no better than a gas sitting...its all just metal siting in storage.

For your budget you can get a much newer gas powered MH and the engines will give you all the service you will need. Look for late model Newmars on the Ford 24,000-26,000 lb. chassis with 22.5 wheels they have 5 speed transmission with Tow Haul.. Excellent quality built home.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you use a MH 100+ days/ year? Do you have a car that can be towed four down?
Since you already have a Burb I'd start with a TT until the kids are in college and you do not replace the dogs.
If the 7.3 was a crew then I'd say get a 5er.
Don't get me wrong as I love my DP but most do not sleep four people as well as a trailer will.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
How do you make the leap? get your wallet out
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for it. There is so much to see in this country and you and your family should see it while you can.

Yes you can get a good, used DP for your budget if you shop carefully. I would look for a well-build higher quality rig in the years that keeps you in that price range. Some brands/models to consider are:

Country Coach
Newmar
Travel Supreme
Monaco
Beaver
Foretravel

Since you plan to do your own mechanical work, strongly suggest you shop for a side radiator coach. You will see the difference in side radiator and rear radiator when you look into the engine bay.

Good internet access is easy these days. We use a Verizon MiFi gizmo that works very well so no need to rely on often unreliable RV park WiFi systems.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing you might consider is that many RV parks limit the amount of data you can send and receive. I stayed at one KOA and it cut me off after uploading three or four photos to Photo bucket.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I did it! Migrated from tents, to 5th wheels, and Truck Camper (Still have Truck Camper).

I passed on a real nice 2005 Country Coach DP for $52,000 a few years ago. Everything worked fine but there were a few items that needed some TLC and I was going to have to finance a portion of the deal.

I paid cash for a 2000 Thor Hurricane with 12,000 mile on it with the expectation of doing some much needed maintenance to a few items.

Here is what I had to fix that proved to be absolutely necessary:

1. Windshield wipers - replaced knurled pieces and blades
2. Cleaned generator carburetor
3. Cleaned dirt dauber nests from blower and burner on heating system
4. Replaced tires
5. Changed oil and filter (even though the most recent oil change had <1,000 miles)
6. Replaced all batteries
7. Cleaned the engine compartment
I drove the Hurricane 6,000 miles since purchase.

Things I am doing now:

0. Flush Radiator b4 changing hoses
1. Replace radiator hoses
2. Replace Serpentine belt
3. Fix A/C leak
4. Replace Fuel filter
5. Replace shock absorbers
6. Add rear track bar
7. Replace LP gas regulator
8. Replace LP and CO detectors
9. Replace Smoke alarms
10. Replace ABS sensor on differential
11. Replace fuel tank filler hoses

Just a bunch of 'small' things to do. I obtained a good buy well below NADA/Bluebook and have a well equipped shop to correct anything I find needed.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Did any of you make the leap before you retired?
I say go for it !!! My first RV was a 34' Winne Vectra (gasser, no slides) and now a 38' Travel Supreme (DP w/four slides), all before I retired. If a Class A is where you want to end up why keep spending $$$ and taking a hit at each move?

Did most of you start with smaller RV's or travel trailers?
I did start with sailboats if that counts.

What are my pitfalls?
None that I see.

I already have a place to park it when not being used. I am a hands-on kind of guy who can turn wrenches when needed. Can much of the maintenance be done DIY?
I do all my own maintenance. As a matter of fact I have never had a car, truck, boat or MOHO in a shop in my life. Break it down one system at a time and it's not very complicated.

Can I expect a halfway decent Diesel pusher for <$70K?
Yes, if you are willing to go a few years old. Just start with a quality rig.

Should I be concerned with a rig that has approx 100k in mileage? Or would years old be more of a concern?
Not so much with todays engines, but you should be able to find plenty of rigs out there with fewer miles. The key is maintenance.

Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy