cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hubby says we need more power!!

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune pulling a Jeep Wrangler. The hubby is frustrated with the lack of power that it has when we are pulling on to highways and wanted to know if there are any add-ons to boost the power??? We purchased this unit last fall as our first Class A and would like some guidance from the veterans!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! 🙂
43 REPLIES 43

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Gods Country, first make sure it is running correctly. Getting good boast, and the intercooler is working and not plugged up and not cooling. Is the waste gate closing all the way? And, make sure you know what engine and transmission is in the MH. I have seen some of these with pretty large engines in them, and only 34 foot long. Same with the Transmission, is it shifting correctly and at the correct times. The fix could be a fairly cheap fix.
Wildmanbaker

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't have an allison 3000 trans you are limited by the transmission. It will not stand up to added HP and Torque if it's not a 3000. I think Bruce Brown has given you the right answer.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Bruce_Brown
Be careful with that one. According to the 2003 Neptune Brochure you have the Cummins ISB Low Torque engine rated at 275HP/600 lb/ft torque mated to an Allison MH2000 transmission.

Looking at the Allison Specs shows your transmission is rated for 300HP MAX with 780 lb/ft torque MAX.

HP wise you're close to the limit, and seeing as HP is a calculated number using torque and RPM, you really don't have a lot of room to play with that set up.

Bottom line - if you really want more power it might be time to start looking for a MH with a bigger engine and heavier transmission.

Am I helpful? :B :h
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Loving God's Country! wrote:
We have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune pulling a Jeep Wrangler. The hubby is frustrated with the lack of power that it has when we are pulling on to highways and wanted to know if there are any add-ons to boost the power??? We purchased this unit last fall as our first Class A and would like some guidance from the veterans!

Don't know your length or your weight, but generally speaking, it's 10hp per foot, for adequate power. I guess he could put his foot to the floor, although I never do and don't expect neck breaking acceleration from any of them, let alone a diesel. I like the diesel for low end brute torque and silence in the mountains and it still fascinates me a year later and after having gas rigs for many years.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Manually keep it in the lower gears if need be and be content with slower accelerations.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BobGloria wrote:
Diesel engines aren't designed for fast getaway. They like to cruise down the road at a steady pace. If you boost the power to make for fast starts you will more than likely make the fuel mileage worse.

And murder the transmission.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I will preface my statement that I'm not a mechanic or gear-head, but I read a lot on different threads. One thing that is said often is when increasing horsepower, you increase HEAT.

Sometime reinventing the wheel is costly and can lead to other problems. I just wanted to point that out as Mr. and Mrs. LGC have a 14 yr. old motorhome.

When purchasing our motorhome, I was concerned about a 500 hp engine 'pushing' 56,000 lbs. I was told it was the rear-end gearing that gives us such a brisk start. I'm really amazed at our pulling power considering the weight and size.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BobGloria
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel engines aren't designed for fast getaway. They like to cruise down the road at a steady pace. If you boost the power to make for fast starts you will more than likely make the fuel mileage worse. We have a 525 CAT in our coach and it doesn't jump away at lights but does pick up speed quickly once it gets into 2nd or 3rd gear.
Life's too important to be taken seriously !

Bob (AF9W) and Gloria
2005 Country Coach Intrique Ovation with 525 CAT C13
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
5 Star Tuning is probably the easiest way to improve horsepower. Banks is probably the epitome of engine performance improvement with several options but is expensive.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
300 Cummins / Allison trans
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! 🙂

MrWizard
Gas or diesel?

For gas engines there is the 'Banks Power Pack' system

Those that have seen too really like it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much do you want to spend? Horsepower costs money. A good free flowing exhaust system and air intake would be good places to start.

Harold_Fairbank
Explorer
Explorer
True dual exhaust with an H-pipe and unrestricted mufflers, cold air intake, computer tune.

Massive increase in power.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Ms. LGC, what engine and transmission do you have?

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins