cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane 34J vs Thor Super C vs. Tiffin Allegro . Opinions?

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. My family and I have had our 5th wheel for 2 full seasons and have enjoyed camping in it. I was giving some thought into purchasing a motorhome. Our fiver is 40' long and has a bath and a half. The second bath is convenient, but we really don't need two bathrooms...and I could do without having to clean two black tanks every trip. Anyway....

I have been seriously looking at a few units:

Thor Hurricane 34J (has bunks and an outdoor kitchen)

Thor Super C 35sb (bunks, diesel, outdoor kitchen, much more torque than F53 chassis, twice as much towing capability)

Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (bunks, no outdoor kitchen...but it's a Tiffin! It's gorgeous!)

Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these? The only motorhome I've ever driven was a Sunseeker on an E450 chassis....and it was an absolutely terrible ride. Tons of sway, bounce, and just not good. I have not driven anything on the F53, but am led to believe it's a lot better. Hoping to test drive the Tiffin and Hurricane this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
14 REPLIES 14

vinniechains
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dazed. Great information. I'm in the same boat and still evaluating as well. Would like the 38QBA Red as well but can't justify the expense for how much I'll use it.

vinniechains
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
vinniechains wrote:
Curious on what you decided? We're looking at the approximately the same thing. With 3 small kids, but soon to be big, debating on whether the bunks are a must.

I looked at the Thor Miramar 34.2 which is suppose to be an upgrade from the Hurricane. Love the floorplan and electric bunk. In fact, I would consider buying one but was really not impressed with the quality. Thor scares me...at least in the price range I'm looking.

Love the Tiffin 35QBA too. However, when trying to find one a year or two old, it's nearly impossible. I have an opportunity to buy the 34TGA but there are no bunks. Still contemplating.

So....we did get out to a dealer a few weekends ago and spent 3 hours there looking at and driving a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA and Hurricane 34J. Without going into huge details, I kept my opinions to myself while my wife and kids all walked around and through the coaches and provided feedback. They came to the same conclusions I did. In every way, the Tiffin is a nicer coach. The build quality was SO much better, the storage compartments were bigger, easier to access, and every single one of them was pass-thru over the drivetrain. The deciding factor really came from the test drive. On this particular day, it was VERY windy. Steady 15-17mph winds with gusts up to 25mph or more. We test drove a twisty road, around town roads, and did 12 miles on the Interstate at highway speeds. The Hurricane was SO loud. The wind was whistling in the cabin...it was SO annoying. And the wind was knocking us all over the road. I had to fight from doing full lane changes when a gust came up. These were really the worst conditions I'd expect to encounter on a trip in our parts. By comparison, the Tiffin was so much smoother and quieter. There was very little wind noise. And the coach, while it did move around during the gusts -- was never an issue. Dunno if it was the heavier base weight or the fact that it had the bigger 22.5" wheels and the Hurricane had smaller wheels...but it was a far more pleasant experience. There were other niceties as well -- like how the Tiffin A/C units don't poke through the ceiling...so you never hear the loud return fans. It was $30K more...but I feel worth every penny after comparing these two coaches side by side.

If we buy one, we'll order one for the simple fact that Tiffin just released a new option for the 35QBA in the form of a manual drop-down bunk over the driver/passenger seats. It's not electric...it's manual...but easy enough to us. You get at 250lb capacity vs. the electric's 500lb capacity. I also really like the full MCD shades on every window...and electric on the main windshield.

With all that said, I'd still really like to find a roughly 2011-2012 38QBA Red. I think that would be a neat coach...but can't afford a new one.

So...we're still talking. I do know that I've been in heavy/gusty winds in my current 40' fifth wheel and super duty pickup. I can hear the wind...and I can see the trees bending over. But I never feel the truck or camper move. Fifth wheels are so stable when towing!

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
vinniechains wrote:
Curious on what you decided? We're looking at the approximately the same thing. With 3 small kids, but soon to be big, debating on whether the bunks are a must.

I looked at the Thor Miramar 34.2 which is suppose to be an upgrade from the Hurricane. Love the floorplan and electric bunk. In fact, I would consider buying one but was really not impressed with the quality. Thor scares me...at least in the price range I'm looking.

Love the Tiffin 35QBA too. However, when trying to find one a year or two old, it's nearly impossible. I have an opportunity to buy the 34TGA but there are no bunks. Still contemplating.

So....we did get out to a dealer a few weekends ago and spent 3 hours there looking at and driving a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA and Hurricane 34J. Without going into huge details, I kept my opinions to myself while my wife and kids all walked around and through the coaches and provided feedback. They came to the same conclusions I did. In every way, the Tiffin is a nicer coach. The build quality was SO much better, the storage compartments were bigger, easier to access, and every single one of them was pass-thru over the drivetrain. The deciding factor really came from the test drive. On this particular day, it was VERY windy. Steady 15-17mph winds with gusts up to 25mph or more. We test drove a twisty road, around town roads, and did 12 miles on the Interstate at highway speeds. The Hurricane was SO loud. The wind was whistling in the cabin...it was SO annoying. And the wind was knocking us all over the road. I had to fight from doing full lane changes when a gust came up. These were really the worst conditions I'd expect to encounter on a trip in our parts. By comparison, the Tiffin was so much smoother and quieter. There was very little wind noise. And the coach, while it did move around during the gusts -- was never an issue. Dunno if it was the heavier base weight or the fact that it had the bigger 22.5" wheels and the Hurricane had smaller wheels...but it was a far more pleasant experience. There were other niceties as well -- like how the Tiffin A/C units don't poke through the ceiling...so you never hear the loud return fans. It was $30K more...but I feel worth every penny after comparing these two coaches side by side.

If we buy one, we'll order one for the simple fact that Tiffin just released a new option for the 35QBA in the form of a manual drop-down bunk over the driver/passenger seats. It's not electric...it's manual...but easy enough to us. You get at 250lb capacity vs. the electric's 500lb capacity. I also really like the full MCD shades on every window...and electric on the main windshield.

With all that said, I'd still really like to find a roughly 2011-2012 38QBA Red. I think that would be a neat coach...but can't afford a new one.

So...we're still talking. I do know that I've been in heavy/gusty winds in my current 40' fifth wheel and super duty pickup. I can hear the wind...and I can see the trees bending over. But I never feel the truck or camper move. Fifth wheels are so stable when towing!

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
I love the appearance of the Tiffin more than the other 2..and the reliability seems to be there. Not sure if that impacts future resale or not...but can't imagine it hurts.

vinniechains wrote:

Love the Tiffin 35QBA too. However, when trying to find one a year or two old, it's nearly impossible.

In my ever so biased opinion, these two separate quotes speak volumes.

Disclaimer: I have not drunk the Tiffin kool-aid nor have I ever been to Red Bay. I'm just a happy Tiffin camper and I like my 35QBA. YMMV 🙂
2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 37BA
Kar Kaddy SS

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA - Sold

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We really wanted the Thor built super C but the shorter 33 model. We finally found one to look at in person. When we got to the lot, the slide was closed so we asked them to open in. They tried, for about an hour but could not get the slide to move. Went home and checked around - seems that Thor had a lot of problems with the super slides. The one we looked at was a 2014. Maybe since then they have improved the motors. But, I would check around (there is a Super C yahoo group) on various forums to see if any changes were made. According to those that bought them, the motors weren't big enough to handle the weight. Whether that was true or not, our experience with just looking at one led us to buying an A. Tiffin has a good reputation. If they had had what we wanted, we would have purchased one.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

vinniechains
Explorer
Explorer

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Z71 4x4 wrote:
We went from a 23 ft toy hauler to the 35QBA. No regrets!!
It only took us four years but we kept going to RV shows, saw many bunk models and liked a few of them. We always went back to the Tiffin though as it just felt right to us. Which one "feels" the best to you?

You'll be on a Ford chassis with all the new gas models and don't worry, its got plenty of power. I installed the 5-Star tuner to change the shift points to suit me better and had no problem crossing the Rockies going coast to coast pulling a car and dolly.

Go look at each one of your picks and walk away at least three times before making a decision (you don't have to take 4 yrs though!). Pretty quickly you will develop a gut feeling for one of them and you will have your answer.
Buy it, have fun and don't look back!

Thank you for your message. Hoping to look at and drive the Hurricane and Tiffin tomorrow. The Super C has a disappointing CCC for what it bills itself to be -- and what it is capable of towing. But it can handle my motorcycle mounted into the hitch...whereas the F53 chassis cannot. Not a show stopper. The Tiffin also doesn't have an outdoor kitchen...which we use a lot. But the reality is that we enjoy the sink out there the most since we do lots of outdoor cooking. I'm sure with some creativity I can get something that will work as a makeshift sink. I love the appearance of the Tiffin more than the other 2..and the reliability seems to be there. Not sure if that impacts future resale or not...but can't imagine it hurts.

Thanks again.

Z71_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 23 ft toy hauler to the 35QBA. No regrets!!
It only took us four years but we kept going to RV shows, saw many bunk models and liked a few of them. We always went back to the Tiffin though as it just felt right to us. Which one "feels" the best to you?

You'll be on a Ford chassis with all the new gas models and don't worry, its got plenty of power. I installed the 5-Star tuner to change the shift points to suit me better and had no problem crossing the Rockies going coast to coast pulling a car and dolly.

Go look at each one of your picks and walk away at least three times before making a decision (you don't have to take 4 yrs though!). Pretty quickly you will develop a gut feeling for one of them and you will have your answer.
Buy it, have fun and don't look back!
2019 Tiffin Allegro RED 37BA
Kar Kaddy SS

2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA - Sold

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely go with the Tiffin. You want the best quality you can afford.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
Quality wins. Buy the Tiffin
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Get the Tiffin!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2006 Hurricane 34N as our previous coach and enjoyed it very much BUT there is no comparison between it and a Tiffin.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Ramair wrote:
we have a 2012 Georgetown 378XL and its on a F53. It drives nice and we love the floor plan and have only a couple minor issues that have been taken care of. Yes its gas but I tow our 2012 chevy cruze 4 down and still have the power I need. I know some models have the bunks if this is what you are needing and I would consider any model on a F53. We went from a 5th wheel to the class A and have not looked back. Hope this helps.

Thank you. Yes...this is helpful. Lots of pros and cons to each. I'm going to try hard not to pull a toad...hoping we can rent a car most places we go. One benefit to the Super C is that (I still have to check) I think it can handle the 600lbs of tongue weight that my motorcycle and carrier will impose on it. The F53 with 5,000 lb hitch won't have enough tongue capacity. I think it's about 350lb. I would imagine that is not so much what the hitch can handle...but how much you are unloading the front end. Attached is a pic of how I tow my motorcycle so you can see what I'm talking about.

Ramair
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 2012 Georgetown 378XL and its on a F53. It drives nice and we love the floor plan and have only a couple minor issues that have been taken care of. Yes its gas but I tow our 2012 chevy cruze 4 down and still have the power I need. I know some models have the bunks if this is what you are needing and I would consider any model on a F53. We went from a 5th wheel to the class A and have not looked back. Hope this helps.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378 XL