cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hwy 1 from san fran to las angeles?

petesbus
Explorer
Explorer
On our Big trip of the yr, DW and I decided all the way to the west coast....
Part of the trip we are looking at traveling down hwy 1 from San Fran to LA..
How are the roads for a 34' motorhome towing a car?
Easy drive? or will I have a "Death Grip" on the wheel?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or "must see" stops/information.
Pete
Pete & Linda
Sarah, Emily
1999 HR Vacationer
2004 Honda VTX1300
Chow & Boxer, Chiga / Wrigley
54 REPLIES 54

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
It's "white knuckles" just due to the nature of some of the curves on that road. It is curvy, not straight for any length of time and requires total concentration if your towing/driving a large rig.

Even the term "white knuckles" is open to interpretation. IMHO, just because the road is curvy, that doesn't automatically make it a "white knuckle" road.

I'm not trying argue - only saying that we (RV owners) have different definitions of what makes a road a "white knuckle" road.

I've done Hwy 1 several times, and while I usually skip it to save time, it is definitely worth taking if you haven't done so before. I wouldn't call it a "white knuckle" road, but I'm sure others would.

It's open to interpretation...
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Toumai wrote:
A lot of interesting comments in here. Especially the 55mph speed limit. We drove hwy 1 northbound in May, length of the truck and trailer is 42'. No white knuckles. No 55mph either, that's for damn sure. I also drove it southbound in a itty bitty Honda Civic in years prior.

Big or small vehicle, the roads do not allow fast travel. So for whomever mentioned you will not be welcome? Lol. It's a highway! Scenic highway at that! Tourists, American, Canadian and intercontinental. Ain't no one in a hurry, any preconceived notion that the traffic around you is offended by your presence is asinine.

I5 from San Fran to Anaheim took us one day. That was a easy stress free drive (save for freeways leaving San Fran and entering LA County, not stressful, just traffic sucks)

BUT I5 vs Hwy 1? Hwy 1 takes forever in comparison. But as moparmaga2 posted, the view, the drive, is a destination and journey all on its own and is worthy of the extra roadtime.

It's "white knuckles" just due to the nature of some of the curves on that road. It is curvy, not straight for any length of time and requires total concentration if your towing/driving a large rig.

Toumai
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of interesting comments in here. Especially the 55mph speed limit. We drove hwy 1 northbound in May, length of the truck and trailer is 42'. No white knuckles. No 55mph either, that's for damn sure. I also drove it southbound in a itty bitty Honda Civic in years prior.

Big or small vehicle, the roads do not allow fast travel. So for whomever mentioned you will not be welcome? Lol. It's a highway! Scenic highway at that! Tourists, American, Canadian and intercontinental. Ain't no one in a hurry, any preconceived notion that the traffic around you is offended by your presence is asinine.

I5 from San Fran to Anaheim took us one day. That was a easy stress free drive (save for freeways leaving San Fran and entering LA County, not stressful, just traffic sucks)

BUT I5 vs Hwy 1? Hwy 1 takes forever in comparison. But as moparmaga2 posted, the view, the drive, is a destination and journey all on its own and is worthy of the extra roadtime.
2009 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit 270BH
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3L V8

petesbus
Explorer
Explorer
Well Im back from our trip.

thank you all for the feedback.
What a beautiful 3 week trip. for 1 week we stayed at the KOA at watsonville, Ca. what a great RV park. (was on Undercover Boss) its only 1/2 mile from the beach. very nice and helpful hosts.
As far as the coastline drive, our plans had changed and we took our daughter, so we also took a toad.
DW and i took the toad about 20 miles past big sur. "BEAUTIFUL" drive.
after traveling rt 1 down and back, I would have to say
maybe a little "white knuckel" on a couple curves, but would not hesitate driving the Bus with the toad.
I could see where some would not make the drive, but Im all about the views and memories my bus can bring me...

Thanks again everyne for the advice
Pete
Pete & Linda
Sarah, Emily
1999 HR Vacationer
2004 Honda VTX1300
Chow & Boxer, Chiga / Wrigley

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
havasu wrote:
What a pile of balderdash!

The OP asked for advice - he got advice from most posters which was yes you can do it but we would not recommend it. No-one said don't do it or it can't be done.

He got what he asked for - advice.

Really? Because here's exactly what you wrote to him: "Don't do it. It was never built for RVs and there are far too many blind corners and switchbacks."

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
What a pile of balderdash!

The OP asked for advice - he got advice from most posters which was yes you can do it but we would not recommend it. No-one said don't do it or it can't be done.

He got what he asked for - advice.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
MPond wrote:
moparmaga2 wrote:

Msmith you must be hallucinating. Everybody knows that you cant take your motorhome off a Freeway. Why, what would happen in a turn? Everybody also knows that if you go 40 mph in a 45 mph signed SCENIC BYWAY, you will hold up all traffic on a road almost exclusively made up of tourists on VACATION.

MSmith, feel free though to go 55 mph in a 75 down the FREEWAY, EXPRESSWAY, OR INTERSTATE and brag about how many mpg you are getting. There is no possible way that you inconvenience fellow motorists on such roads linking cities together.

Make sure when you do this to install a toad breaking system so you can rush to RV.net and post about your "piece of mind" and how its "worth every penny" when all the commuters in their cars are showing you whose number 1 while break checking you and cutting you off out of spite for holding them up while going about their BUSY DAILY LIVES.

Rant off

That made me lol! The DW wants to know what was so funny. :B

The problem is that too many people here deal in absolutes, when there are very few one-size-fits-all answers. We can offer our opinions, suggestions, input, etc..., but we have different RVs, different preferences, and differen comfort levels.

I am comfortable taking my DP & toad on Hwy 1 through Big Sur, but having done It before I usually opt for the quicker route 101.

And that is the exact point I was trying to make. The OP asked a question and got a barrage of people saying don't do it, the world will come to an end if you do it and everybody will die. The truth is some people don't like driving on the road and some do. If you didn't like it just say so, but to tell others that they will not like it and they will have a death grip and they will fall off thousand foots cliffs, just isn't right.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
Hmmm... "dozens of motorhomes" in a 10-mile stretch? That seems crowded. "90% rentals"? Typically, rentals are not 40' motorhomes towing a vehicle. Definitely, a small RV could easily make the trip but a 40-footer is much different.

Pretty sure I said I went 10 miles past Big Sur. That's about an 80 mile round trip if you'd like me to do the math for you. And yes I saw dozens of motorhomes and several class A's. You may wish to pay closer attention before you call somebody out.

You're right and I made a mistake. Sorry.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
moparmaga2 wrote:

Msmith you must be hallucinating. Everybody knows that you cant take your motorhome off a Freeway. Why, what would happen in a turn? Everybody also knows that if you go 40 mph in a 45 mph signed SCENIC BYWAY, you will hold up all traffic on a road almost exclusively made up of tourists on VACATION.

MSmith, feel free though to go 55 mph in a 75 down the FREEWAY, EXPRESSWAY, OR INTERSTATE and brag about how many mpg you are getting. There is no possible way that you inconvenience fellow motorists on such roads linking cities together.

Make sure when you do this to install a toad breaking system so you can rush to RV.net and post about your "piece of mind" and how its "worth every penny" when all the commuters in their cars are showing you whose number 1 while break checking you and cutting you off out of spite for holding them up while going about their BUSY DAILY LIVES.

Rant off

That made me lol! The DW wants to know what was so funny. :B

The problem is that too many people here deal in absolutes, when there are very few one-size-fits-all answers. We can offer our opinions, suggestions, input, etc..., but we have different RVs, different preferences, and differen comfort levels.

I am comfortable taking my DP & toad on Hwy 1 through Big Sur, but having done It before I usually opt for the quicker route 101.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
daytripper63 wrote:
I have drove my 40ft with jeep in tow from Monterey to So. cal a few times with no problems, I actually enjoy the drive it is very beautiful.

I'm sorry, but I'm told that's impossible by people on RV.NET who are supposed to be RVer's. I could have sworn that I've driven my 35' class A RV down it about 4 times with my Dodge Dakota in tow and I thought I remembered enjoying it every time, but I must be mistaken because I've also been told that was impossible too.

Funny thing yesterday, I saw a full size semi-truck with trailer heading back North out of Big Sur. I must have hallucinated that too.

Rant off
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
daytripper63 wrote:
I have drove my 40ft with jeep in tow from Monterey to So. cal a few times with no problems, I actually enjoy the drive it is very beautiful.

I'm sorry, but I'm told that's impossible by people on RV.NET who are supposed to be RVer's. I could have sworn that I've driven my 35' class A RV down it about 4 times with my Dodge Dakota in tow and I thought I remembered enjoying it every time, but I must be mistaken because I've also been told that was impossible too.

Funny thing yesterday, I saw a full size semi-truck with trailer heading back North out of Big Sur. I must have hallucinated that too.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
2gypsies wrote:
Hmmm... "dozens of motorhomes" in a 10-mile stretch? That seems crowded. "90% rentals"? Typically, rentals are not 40' motorhomes towing a vehicle. Definitely, a small RV could easily make the trip but a 40-footer is much different.

Pretty sure I said I went 10 miles past Big Sur. That's about an 80 mile round trip if you'd like me to do the math for you. And yes I saw dozens of motorhomes and several class A's. You may wish to pay closer attention before you call somebody out.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

daytripper63
Explorer
Explorer
2008 FLEETWOOD PROVIDENCE 40X

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel