cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 10 in Louisiana

Ole_B
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled on I-10 in Louisiana in the past year. I am thinking of taking it to travel east from AZ? I haven't been on it in the last 6 years. Is it still very rough, or should I find a different way east. Thanks
35 REPLIES 35

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
For all of those naysayers...if you read my post included were some exceptions(both sides of Breaux Bridge for one) and lastly as I stated, "from what it used to be". To get a true appreciation for what it is now there used to be stretches of 30 to 40 miles each of put you off the road type stuff,real brain humping stuff, not the few short stretches that now exist...and so the comment,"in great shape".

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Artguys I came accross there the 8th of Feb 2014----that is not exactly a long time ago and I was driving a 45ft Monaco Dynasty which rides pretty smooth, usually. It about humped my brains out it was so rough.....but what do I know?
And I came across about a week later in my velvet ride Foretravel - and I agree 100%.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

gjcummings
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up RV in Houston ,TX in October 2013 and headed back to Florida. I-10 is a God awful road. Swore I'd never take I-10 through LA or TX it again.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
I drove I-10 and I-12 from Mobile, AL to Houston, TX last Thursday (March 6) and it was good, smooth road for the most part.

The only rough parts were the 15 miles between the swamp freeway and Lafayette, and a couple miles around Lake Charles.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Drove I10 and I12 last thursday from FL to I-49 in LA. The stretch from Baton Rouge to I49 was terrible.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

Vector glad someone in the last month felt the same way I did when I crossed LA in early Feb......I was beginning to think I imagined my teeth getting rattled out....Lousy, rough, road for an Interstate.

vector
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished the IH10 trip eastbound through Louisiana. Guv Bobby needs to pay attention to his crumbling infrastructure. East TX was pretty rough as well. The pavement breaks and craters from the TX line to Lake Charles to Breaux Bridge were brutal. The long bridge over the Atchafalaya was in good shape. IH12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell was in much better shape. We are headed east on IH10 and maybe MS, AL, and FL will be better.
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
nbargolf wrote:
gfs1943 wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:
We hate the LA-I10! Out of 1 to 10, would give it a 5. We travel allot of interstates and that part has got to be our least fave.

It's 65 miles longer, but IMHO a more pleasant drive and better road: at the I10 - I20 split in west Texas, take I20 to Jackson, MS then US49 south to rejoin I10 at Gulfport. Schedule your trip to pass Fort Worth and Dallas during early afternoon.

Can't agree on us49 it is a bad road.

I grew up alongside a dirt road in Arkansas, so maybe my perception of good/bad roads isn't the same as others. Or, maybe my old RV just has a good ride. In either case, here's my take on these roads.

I drove US49 last Labor Day, from Florence, MS to the MS67/Biloxi Cutoff just north of Gulfport. US49 was a very pleasant drive -- all four-lane, bypasses most of the towns along the way. You could stay on US49 to I10 at Gulfport, or take the MS67/Biloxi Cutoff as I did and join I10 north of Biloxi. Either way, in my estimation, those are good roads.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

09Sam
Explorer
Explorer
We went thru there in December and it was fine.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ
DW, mini Dachshunds - Emma,Lexi,and Murphy

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
nbargolf wrote:
gfs1943 wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:
We hate the LA-I10! Out of 1 to 10, would give it a 5. We travel allot of interstates and that part has got to be our least fave.

It's 65 miles longer, but IMHO a more pleasant drive and better road: at the I10 - I20 split in west Texas, take I20 to Jackson, MS then US49 south to rejoin I10 at Gulfport. Schedule your trip to pass Fort Worth and Dallas during early afternoon.

Y'all must be referring to I55 from Mississippi to LA. I49 is in good shape and one of the most beautiful in the country thanks largely to the lack of billboards except for a few intersections.

Correction: I see the road you are referring to goes to Gulfport. I was thinking you were referring to the Interstate going through Hammond. Mea Culpa.

aretus45
Explorer
Explorer
East of mississippi river is complete mostly and beautiful road

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
gfs1943 wrote:
LynnandCarol wrote:

nbargolf
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Last time I was on that road...very rough. However, locals told me to take I-12 around New Orleans...better road. It was.

Agree take I12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell

rposgood
Explorer
Explorer
Ole B wrote:
Has anyone traveled on I-10 in Louisiana in the past year. I am thinking of taking it to travel east from AZ? I haven't been on it in the last 6 years. Is it still very rough, or should I find a different way east. Thanks

Was on it last week.... Galveston to New Orleans... It is good to go.