cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I95 Weigh Station in Maryland

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Earlier today we were driving on I95 south to our destination in Williamsburg, VA. There is a weigh station on the south bound lane in Maryland right before crossing the Susquehanna River. As we approached the weigh station there was a sign staring, "All vehicles over 5T must enter weigh station". I never see anything other than commercial vehicles at these weigh stations on I95.

Did something change that they really mean ALL Vehicles over 5T?
17 REPLIES 17

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
First time I rolled into a weigh scale in some state or other I got yelled at and told to "keep moving we aren't interested in non commercial vehicles". or words to that effect. Haven't stopped since and that was 14 years ago.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

Mike_and_Trish
Explorer
Explorer
Others on this forum have called and e-mailed Maryland authorities to ask. The answer is always some version of "yes, that's what the sign (and the law) says, but we really don't want RVs to stop, and we won't come after you." I lived near one in Maryland for many years, drove by it countless times, and never stopped.
Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Blue Ox Aventa LX
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
When I took my road test for my RV Endorsement, I asked that question to the examiner. He explained that I am not required to stop at weigh stations as they are intended for commercial vehicles. Of course, this is with regard to New York State weigh stations. Can't say about all other states.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tiger02 wrote:
For DOT registered commercial vehicles. All you do is hold up the working man who is out there making a living with his truck.

Then I would say it is up to the "working man" to contact the DOT and have them change their signs to read no RV's. Commercial trucks are in the majority and would certainly have a larger voice than the few RV owners that may stop in to a weigh station because of an ambiguous sign.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Maryland and HAVE NEVER STOPPED.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
For DOT registered commercial vehicles. All you do is hold up the working man who is out there making a living with his truck.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

ricardo
Explorer
Explorer
Was there a few weeks ago. The sign was very specific in that it did not commercial or trucks but only indicated the weight limits. As an out of state vehicle well over the requested weight I complied. No big deal. Stopped on the scales and the looked at the weight and waived me thru. Why ask for trouble by not complying.
Rick and Sandy
2010 American Tradition 45ft
425 Cummins
GMC Envoy

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Look at it this way: A sign like that is an invitation to get your actual current weight.

Before they wave you on through, that is, which is the most likely thing to happen to a non-commercial rig.

Unless you're overweight...then it could get ugly....just sayin...Dennis

Doubt very seriously ANY RV is over weight for those scales. The DOT is looking for vehicles that are over 20,000lb on the front steering axle, or single axle and 35000lbs on the tandems. The weight watcher has no idea what the max your F150, 250, or 350 is rated to weigh. How could he, as nearly every TV is rated differently.

No, They are only interested in the heavy trucks.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
All scales in the US are called Commercial Scales or DOT which is run by the state and if you are not a CMV you are not required to stop but you can always stop and ask them yourself. Drove big truck for years and none of them want an RV fooling around on the TRUCK scales.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Bill/Diana wrote:
Earlier today we were driving on I95 south to our destination in Williamsburg, VA. There is a weigh station on the south bound lane in Maryland right before crossing the Susquehanna River. As we approached the weigh station there was a sign staring, "All vehicles over 5T must enter weigh station". I never see anything other than commercial vehicles at these weigh stations on I95.

Did something change that they really mean ALL Vehicles over 5T?
The State of Washington does not want Non CommercIal on there weigh scales. The exception is if they stop you out on the highway away from there scales.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Look at it this way: A sign like that is an invitation to get your actual current weight.

Before they wave you on through, that is, which is the most likely thing to happen to a non-commercial rig.

Unless you're overweight...then it could get ugly....just sayin...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Living in Maryland I can tell you that sign is for commercial vehicles only. The state is not looking for motorhomes it is looking for overweight commercial vehicles that it can wring every last dollar out of in fines.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
to properly answer your question requires that the answer be a lawyer, Which I am not.

But you do (if you are a citizen of that state) Retain one for this kind of thing.

He is called the Attorney General of the state of _____ (MD in this case) and perhaps you should direct your question his way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times