cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase propane capacity?

chasfenwick
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Jayco Melbourne 29D. One thing I would like to change would be to double the amount of propane that can be carried. It appears that an identical, second tank could be installed immediately behind the existing one. Or, perhaps there would be some way to change to a larger tank. Has anyone here done something of that nature to a Class C? Does anyone know of a shop that undertakes modifications such as this? Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mlts22,

Replace the return air grill on the furnace with a fan. On my rv that circulates warm "living space" air under the cabinets and pushes some air along the furnace duct work. I chose to use a dual window fan unit which is controlled by a mechanical thermostat that lives beside the water pump next to the outside wall of the RV.

The fan unit draws just 23 watts and works better than a 1500 watt fan based heater which I tried using inside the cabinet.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Also do not transport propane in an enclosed compartment. It is heavier than air and will "pool" if there is a leak.

It is possible, with inexpensive modifications, to heat a class C 29' 100% electrically. I successfully did so to -34 C this year.

Cheap Heat is also a good way to add the ability to heat the rig via electricity, but still preserve the furnace's ability to blow warm air on the tanks and basement plumbing... something an electric space heater can't do.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Also do not transport propane in an enclosed compartment. It is heavier than air and will "pool" if there is a leak.

It is possible, with inexpensive modifications, to heat a class C 29' 100% electrically. I successfully did so to -34 C this year.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I'd consider the Extend-A-Stay (or Camco's Stay-A-While) adapter as the first thing. It is cheaper than adding another DOT approved tank. Of course, there then is the issue of carrying the propane bottles, which can be done by bolting this to a good hitch mounted cargo rack (read the Amazon reviews... some racks are so poorly made that they will tear off from the core frame and end up a hazard.)

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't bother with asking Jayco. I'd go directly to a a place familiar with doing this work They'll probably do a better job than the original installation.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

ABBACUS
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 07 Melbourne 29D and have full-time for 6 years in it. If you mount a second unit it would be too close to the exhaust unit, you could replace the unit with a larger unit cost about $750. Part of the cost is it has to be done by a certified Tech.
We last one month on propane with a small electric heater 1200watt, summer two to three months we out side BBQ. The Melbourne comes with a quick disconnect for BBQ use it with a small 20lb bottle with a regulator. Do not transport Propane bottle in the Motor Home.
Thank have fun traveling
Bobby J

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also look at the Worthington 40 lbs. aluminum horizontal tank if you need to save weight. 65.2 lbs. full. $309 at Vintage Trailer.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
My question is Why the need for more capacity, unless you're winter camping & running the furnace constantly, our 40 lb. tank lasts us quite a while.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
+1 with pianotuna. Downside is having to carry propane bottles, likely on a hitch mounted cargo rack. However, two 30# bottles would double your capacity.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A larger tank could probably increase capacity by 50 and fit into the space. Talk to a LPG equipment dealer about dual tanks, might require duplication or switching for some of the safety devices permanent tanks have, that dual bottle installations do not.

Equipment dealers tend to be more familiar with multitank installations than RV dealers, as multiple tanks show up where LPG is the primary motor fuel.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd look at an "extend-a-stay" device and use a portable tank.
Regards, Don

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/display.php?category_id=200

Here are tanks.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 70 gallon tank on our RV. It had been converted to propane at some point. IMHO I would check with a conversion company about a larger tank.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
59# propane tank is small (14 gallons) but that may be due to weight distribution, safe location etc.

Contact Jayco and inquire as to why the small tank and if mods can be done.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31