cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Input Requested - New Toad

Dave_n_Alice
Explorer
Explorer
Have been towing our old Jeep TJ but we are thinking of making a change. We are considering Honda Fit, Chevrolet Sonic and Fiat 500 - all manual transmissions. Looking at used back to 2012 and/or new. I have one major concern in changing to one of these smaller/lighter cars - road clearance! I have a Roadmaster All Terrain with a Ready Brake system setup for the motorhome. Please share with me if you have any experience with any of these cars. By the way, I stated manual transmission as there is so much conflicting data out there on automatics Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

klm
Explorer
Explorer
I love towing my '12 Honda Fit automatic!!! I am a fulltimer, lots of miles and 24/7 rv living. The Fit is so easy - I have the Blue Ox system, virtually invisible oon the Fit. My installer ran dedicated wire for brake/turn lights on the Fit - did not tap into existing system. He added a bulb in the taillight assembly. I use Brake Buddy, installed their 12v upgrade port. I also have the battery charge running through the pigtail. Sounds like a lot, but once set up, wow - not a problem in over 2 years and lots and lots of travel!!! I find the interior plenty roomy and the space has lots of versatility. Check out all your choices, test drive them - see what suits you - for me, the Fit is great. I do see lots of them in cgs around the country, rvers have figured out it's a good fit for a toad ๐Ÿ™‚
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
If you choose the Fit I'd go with the automatic. With only 109 HP it's a constant shifting nightmere. My automatic shifts frequently depending on the terrain. We're on our 3rd set of tires and finally have something that rides better. The first two were noisy and cupped quickly, even with both front and rear alignment and other things being adjusted to specs.

Lots of room inside the Fit as the rear seats fold completely flat, at least in our 08.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
We love out KIA Soul....the KIA Soul also has a 100,000 mile 10 year warranty, 5 year roadside assist, great mileage, very roomy and upright interior, comes standard with 6 speed manual, A/C, 35 mpg, powered locks and windows, adjustable steering wheel, 4 wheel disks, etc. Here in Orange County calif dealers are motivated enough where they are knocking down the new car prices to "used car" territory...10K! Good luck!

On EDIT check with the KIA Company Customer Service First! KIA may have changed their minds on towing the manual transmission KIAs 4 down or modified the proceedures recently!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Go out and drive them and buy the one you like best. No one really makes a bad car these days like back in the 1970's. We have a 2013 Wrangler 4 door. You might test a new Jeep too. They are much easier to live with as a daily driver compared to a few years back. Although will use way more gas than the three cars you mention. But then the Jeep will likely be lots more fun to own and IMHO lots easier to hook up and un hook. If you are my age who wants to bend over to hook up a low to ground car like a Fiat or Honda. We used to have a very nice Saturn sedan that we towed. I like the Jeep a lot! better. So easy to hook up compared to the Saturn. Height being the main reason. Plus with Jeep on issues with transmission or pulling fuses and so on.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

RWjSIM2003
Explorer
Explorer
We are now towing a Kia Soul 2013 manual trans. very roomy inside and cost was very good at under 16k. pulls great and is a joy to drive.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Clearly the Honda Fit! Many around here are towing them and very happy with them. It was just rated top, most reliable, subcompact car by Consumer Reports, far beating out the Chevy Sonic, Ford Fiesta and Fiat 500 which were all listed as worse than average reliability.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the Honda, too low to the ground. Id stick with the Chevy or Fiat, Id go with the Fiat its the lightest and shortest.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours