cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter/Charger Fried

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know when, why, or how it happened but my inverter is fried. I noticed recently that, on the remote panel, the Overload light was on steady and the Battery light was flashing. No output from the inverter, which is a Heart Interface 1500 watt.

I replaced all my batteries, then started troubleshooting. Yesterday I took the inverter out and took the cover off.

There is a Bypass and Switching Control Board (PN 60-7321-00 Rev E) in the front which has three relays; one of them shows burning and arcing, which extended through the PC board.

I can't find a source for that Bypass & Switching Control Board. The individual relays are available, but the board itself looks too bad to try replacing individual components. I can't afford a new inverter at this time.

I disconnected the inverter and bypassed it, connecting the AC Input to the AC Output. Everything (except the inverter) works fine. I setup a place where I can connect a battery charger to the DC cables (now disconnected and secured) from the inverter to the battery. I can plug the charger into the receptacle for the engine block heater, and turn it on/off inside the coach using the engine heater switch that controls the receptacle (the engine heater plug is disconnected from the receptacle at this time). When the weather gets cool enough that I need the block heater, I'll have to make other arrangements for the charger. Maybe the DW will win the lotto and I can buy a new inverter/charger.

Since we normally stay in parks/campsites with electric hookup, I think we're OK for now -- don't normally use the Inverter function, but will miss the automatic battery charging feature.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V
12 REPLIES 12

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Texan,

I can't find inverters listed at iMarine. I wonder if they have stopped selling that type of product?

Here is a link to Magnum Products at iMarine
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the circuit board fried on the 120v side of the relays. It could be as simple as soldering some heavy gauge wire to replace the burnt circuit board traces.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
No, they still sell them, when Magnum sends them their remanufactured stock. Contact Mira Scott at MiraS@iMarineUSA.com . She is the customer service lady I worked with when I got mine and I'm sure she will notify you when they are getting them.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Texan,

I can't find inverters listed at iMarine. I wonder if they have stopped selling that type of product?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
If you do decide to replace it, iMarine on the west coast, sells Magnum factory remanufactured units every so often, for very reasonable prices. I think they have a contract with Magnum to sell all their factory remanufactured stock and get them in several times a year. I know that the price is so low, that they do not last long. I bought my upgrade 2800 from them.

Thanks for the link. I will check them out. I've never been a big fan of reman stuff, but if it's done by the factory it should be Ok.
gfs1943
2006 Honda CR-V

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:
Did you run a high wattage appliance such as a electric heater on a 120 outlet from the inverter? Long time usage. That may be the cause of inverter failure.

Pogoil.

No, I haven't run anything from the inverter for a long time. Maybe long periods of non-use, plus the unit's age (12 - 13 years) caused failure.
gfs1943
2006 Honda CR-V

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Did you run a high wattage appliance such as a electric heater on a 120 outlet from the inverter? Long time usage. That may be the cause of inverter failure.

Pogoil.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The best small psw inverter is a 300 watt unit from morningstar. Next best are samlex units.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Don and Dick, thanks for the replies. I may get a small pure sine wave inverter, as Don recommends, to power the electric throw cover that my wife likes to use when traveling. That's about the only thing I've ever used the inverter function for. Also, a built-in battery charger would be nice, and those items don't cost an arm and leg.
gfs1943
2006 Honda CR-V

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to replace it, iMarine on the west coast, sells Magnum factory remanufactured units every so often, for very reasonable prices. I think they have a contract with Magnum to sell all their factory remanufactured stock and get them in several times a year. I know that the price is so low, that they do not last long. I bought my upgrade 2800 from them.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Since you don't use the inverter I'd replace the charge function with an Iota or a PD converter from bestconverter.com

I'd carry a small pure sine wave portable inverter for small appliance use.

If you want full functionality then consider a larger stand alone inverter that can be used to power an appropriate outlet in the shore power cord box.

I much prefer stand alone units to combos when ever possible.
Regards, Don

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
When my Zantrex died it was replaced with a Magnum pure sine wave model for not a whole lot of $$$ extra. Something to consider.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad