scubastu
Explorer
Explorer
Is extended warrinty programs a ggod buy for new PD
18 REPLIES 18

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one also needs to calculate out what it will save if that $3000 is included as additional down payment, assuming the RV is financed.
bumpy

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that you shouldn't need one on a new rig, BUT I did the little thing after going on the forum, about putting the $3K in the bank and inside of 7 months, I had spent that and another $4k on repairs that would have been covered by the warranty I had looked at. I did have have the rig fully inspected by a very competent person before I bought it and only a few minor problems were found. I just paid $3200 for one 6 months ago and the fridge coils just went out and were replaced to the tune of $2200 with a $100 ded. Fully covered.:B
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
No.
All they do is enrich the seller.
Save your money. Put the cost of the extended arranty in a savings account called RV Repairs.

A warranty, if the fine print checks out vs. cost, will run you about what $10-15 a month extra for financing? This savings account will amass $180 a year, so after three years you will have built up $540 in your account. That amount won't replace a refrigerator, or any major appliance.
bumpy

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends....are you talking about a NEW DP or an older "NEW TO YOU" RV....? Makes a difference.

Answering both sides, on a NEW DP, 2014-15, no, manufactures warranties and product warranties will take care of you. On an older coach, my experience has been they are worth every penny. If you can afford to allow your coach to sit somewhere while you save up enough money to repair it, you might be ok. We full time and cannot afford to have the coach idle for a long period of time. For me it was money well spent. I've spent about $6,000 for the policies over the past 5 years. My current policy is good for another three years. During the past 5 years, the policy has paid over $15,000 in needed repairs. You do the math and decide for yourself whether the policy is worthwhile to YOU. I carry a $50 deductible so I'm not hesitant to use it when necessary....your decision should also be based on your ability to fix things yourself. If you have to depend on someone else to do the repairs, a service policy might be in your best interest....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
NEVER!

Hey how do you like your Vegas? I was looking at one at the Florida RV show. Looked like a good deal if down sizing.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
scubastu wrote:

No criticism for typo but I didn't know what a PD was. It was a general answer. Thanks
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The OP asked about buying one for a new DP. A new DP comes with a 5 year 50K warranty on the engine and trans and would be a waste of money. If you're not very mechanical and rely on others for all of your repairs, I think a quality plan for an older out of warranty coach would be fine.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
My next door neighbor purchased a three year extended warranty when he acquired a 2008 MH for $687. This January he left for a 2500mi trip. At 600 miles into the trip the transmission failed. The extended warranty covered the OEM factory rebuilt transmission for $5267 minus his $1000 deductible plus motel and meals.

At 1500 miles into the trip the engine began to lose power and was missing. The Ford garage determined that a spark plug had failed with an electrode falling into a cylinder and scored the cylinder. The extended warranty rep determined that the engine needed to be replaced so a OEM factory rebuilt was installed for $12,000 minus the $1000 deductible.

So no ALL extended warranty contracts are bad. He did OK

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO no! I've been RVing since 1976 and have never bought one or needed one!

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
ed6713 wrote:
No.
Save your money. Put the cost of the extended arranty in a savings account called RV Repairs.

I respectfully disagree! If you buy an older MH and you have an engine or transmission go bad you will be looking at 20K or more for either one of them. That is a lot of money for this old retired Chief to pay out. I could however pay the 3K that it cost for a decent warranty that was well researched and most comments were acceptable if not stellar. It is a great deal of peace of mind for me. Worth every penny for that if nothing else. I can replace a lot of refers or AC units but one engine would seriously tick me off! Only my opinion guys and gals.

If you look at the fine print on most of these extended warranty plans there are way too many loopholes, especially if an engine or tranny goes out, for the company to deny your claim. Like you must prove that all maintenance was done per the factory schedule and have documentation to back it up, for the life of the coach.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I do not buy extended warranties on new. On used I do and purchase an exclusionary policy.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.

Remember, warranty companies are in business to make a profit, not save you money. As a rule of thumb, never insure what you can afford to loose. You insure your car since you can't afford to buy another one, but you don't insure your pencil since you can afford to replace it.

On the other hand, if buying a warranty gives you peace of mind you can't get any other way, go for it. Some people need the reassurance they think they are getting, and that makes them happy.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
You have to be very careful and read all the fine print . The more words it takes to tell you what is covered then the more diffcult it will be to prevail in a claim.

Most contain restrictive language like "If a covered part fails and an uncovered part is damaged or fails then only the covered part is covered. If an an uncovered part fails and damages or causes a covered part then neither is covered.

scubastu wrote:
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
ed6713 wrote:
No.

I respectfully disagree! If you buy an older MH and you have an engine or transmission go bad you will be looking at 20K or more for either one of them. That is a lot of money for this old retired Chief to pay out. I could however pay the 3K that it cost for a decent warranty that was well researched and most comments were acceptable if not stellar. It is a great deal of peace of mind for me. Worth every penny for that if nothing else. I can replace a lot of refers or AC units but one engine would seriously tick me off! Only my opinion guys and gals.

No way it would cost that much $$...and NO...extended warrantys arent worth the paper you sign
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape