cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my water pump failing?

SNOPRO711X
Explorer
Explorer
I am just getting ready for the first trip of the season and added water to my 2003 Itasca DP for the first time this year. I had a lot of trouble getting the Shurflo pump to prime itself. I did finally get it to work by disconnecting the inlet side of the pump and adding water. What I am worried about is that the pump seemed to have lost its prime again and ran for several minutes not pumping water before it started working again.

I had another less baffling problem with the kitchen sink faucet, had no water on both the hot and cold. At first I thought I had a kinked hose on the Moen faucet sprayer but I found the screen in the sprayer plugged.

Should I be thinking about a repair ki or a new pump?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Dave_T_
Explorer
Explorer
Snoppro711

If you have the 5.7, they have lots of problems and there is no rebuild kit. I ended up getting the replacement Shurflo 4048. It is rated lower but I haven't noticed any loss of pressure or volume. The 4048 is direct replacement for the 5.7.

Dave T

SNOPRO711X wrote:
I am just getting ready for the first trip of the season and added water to my 2003 Itasca DP for the first time this year. I had a lot of trouble getting the Shurflo pump to prime itself. I did finally get it to work by disconnecting the inlet side of the pump and adding water. What I am worried about is that the pump seemed to have lost its prime again and ran for several minutes not pumping water before it started working again.

I had another less baffling problem with the kitchen sink faucet, had no water on both the hot and cold. At first I thought I had a kinked hose on the Moen faucet sprayer but I found the screen in the sprayer plugged.

Should I be thinking about a repair ki or a new pump?

Thanks
Dave & Vicki Tedesco
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2008 Escape Hybrid
Brake Buddy
Falcon Tow Bar

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check the position of your fill leaver on your city water inlet. The pump won't work if it is in the fill position.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

chastho
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that running the pump and loosening the outlet line on pump will prime it. I have the same problem almost every time I drain the tank.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Two issues to check before spending money: One as someone mentioned use shore water to be sure all the lines are full of water and the hot water tank too. If that doesn't resolve it look for leaks on the suction side of the pump, if it is pulling air it won't work real well.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Check for a strainer on the inlet side of pump. I had trouble with this on my previous motorhome with shurflo pump. It just needed to be cleaned.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried hooking up to shore water and running water through all of your lines using the shore water? Then switch the valve and try the pump.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago used electric bypass and winterizing valves on some of their DP's in 2003. The electric valves were less than reliable.

In either case, electric or manual, check that the winterizing valve is in the proper position.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

Puttin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know for sure but try opening your kitchen faucet and suck on it (no kidding). It happened to me once and there was an air pocket that prevented the pump from acting normally. It cured the problem. This happened shortly after I had accidentally run the fresh tank dry.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Has the pump worked in years past or is it a new pump?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)