cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee Steps

vbultema
Explorer
Explorer
My steps would not lock in the open position. They would open and close when the door was opened or closed. While driving they suddenly opened. I was alerted by a trucker. Now I can't close them so I can't drive. Is there any way to force them closed? Help!
9 REPLIES 9

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I hit my steps on a curb 1/2 mile from my house, they should have not opened while key is on, that safety failed. Unhook linkage under the step and push them in. Use a bungie cord to hold them in until fixed. I bent them badly, ordered a new pair on the internet, at a fair price. I saved the motor.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
When my Kwikee step motor quit working while on a trip I was able to pull the pin and hold them up with a ratchet strap. I just had to remember that they were up, the first step is a big one when they are retracted. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If you have low/bad battery or corroded ground wire your steps will act like they possessed by the devil. Suggest you check those first.
Kevin

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
chinrv wrote:
Why can't you drive with the steps out? They are probably similar to the amount your side mirrors stick out, and you just have to be aware of them. My steps got stuck (one step) in the out position last May and I've left them that way..so far no problems, unless there's something about long term damage to the whole step package of which I'm not aware. They would sometimes not extend and I played around with them to make them work, sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. So, I left them extended, unplugged the connector, wrapped it in tape to keep out any dirt, and it's been that way for many thousands of miles.

I wouldn't recommend this. The steps not only stick out further than the mirrors but they are also a few inches off the ground.

Steps out while driving = Bad Idea!

Please have some consideration for the safety of the people following you!

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Step tech

http://www.rvweb.net/tech_lib/Quickee.html#dorswtst

http://rx4rv.com/archives/89

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf

Hope this helps.

If you unplug them then you should be able to manually
push them up and tie them out of the way.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem last year when my 3 steps would not retract. I disconnected the motor and then held them up with 2 large hose clamps on each sidearm. You will have to go underneath to do this. It made for a huge step but it was our last day on the way home.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Try fixing them!
Many times step issues are a result of a bad ground under the step. There could be two grounds that needs to be cleaned up.
Yes, you can jumper the motor to retract the steps. Should have twelve volts on large red wire under the step. Locate the connector to the motor. Apply power and ground to the step motor. If it retracts disconnect power. If it does not retract reverse the polarity on the jumper(wire you used to connect power and ground)
BECAREFUL stay clear of mechanism.
DO not drive with step out. I found my step was out the hard way. Curb!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

chinrv
Explorer
Explorer
Why can't you drive with the steps out? They are probably similar to the amount your side mirrors stick out, and you just have to be aware of them. My steps got stuck (one step) in the out position last May and I've left them that way..so far no problems, unless there's something about long term damage to the whole step package of which I'm not aware. They would sometimes not extend and I played around with them to make them work, sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. So, I left them extended, unplugged the connector, wrapped it in tape to keep out any dirt, and it's been that way for many thousands of miles.

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Have you played with the magnetic sensor to see if you can fool it into closing?
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU