cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lack of hot water

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood 10 gal gas/elec water heater that no longer provides hot water. The water in the tank is hot but it is not getting into the hot water line. Initially, I was using the elec side and the water turned cold so I switched to the gas side thinking that the elec element had gone bad. I got hot water but not as hot as it should be. Not even that has gone away. I flushed the tank and the water that came out was too hot to touch. Have I got a one way valve that is inop or is there an air block? Little tough to evaluate since the tank is not easily observable. This is on a 2008 Itasca Horizon.
Fox
15 REPLIES 15

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit is correct, it is a GEH16EXT model and, looking at some schematics, it has a mixing valve which is probably the problem. Unfortunately the back side of the heater is very difficult to get to. It may be necessary to remove the heater to get to the valve. I am going to let some experts spend their time and my money this next week. Thanks to responders.
Fox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
WHY do people NEVER respond with the Model numbers or other critical info when asked. They WASTE time posting responses but NEVER post the model number. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
racerchaser wrote:
Thanks to those who have replied. Should have stated that the outside shower and bypass valves have been checked. Also, the coach has never been winterized. We follow the birds south. If there is a check valve on the downstream side of the tank I am going to let a professional work on it as the tank is difficult to access.

Give us the model number. Doug

Quick check at Winnebago......2008 Itasca Horizon uses an Atwood XT WH

So no check valve
BUT being an XT model 'mixing valve' is your problem -----it is clogged

*You can remove and soak in CLR, hot vinegar etc. to try and dissolve calcium/minerals clogging it up.
*Replace with new OEM ----roughly $160 (plus labor if not DIY)
*Shop for another mixing valve at Lowes, Home Depot, plumbing supply (OEM is set for 130*F output)

**OR remove---re-plumb so cold goes in bottom and hot comes out top with a bypass connecting cold/hot for winterizing (3 shutoff valves needed...cold, hot and bypass) and then change the T-stat on front of WH to a standard Atwood 140*F t-stat----would need to change brown wire connector to small female spade vs the 'pin' connector used on the XT Model 160*F t-stat

Until one of the above options is done-----no hot water will flow out of WH (unless banging on mixing valve with handle of screw driver frees it up--until it clogs again) :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
If the check valve is bad, you get no water flow (hot or cold) out of the hot water faucet. We need the model number of the water heater to assist you.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

Brodie1234
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to me a year ago --- was the Check Valve!

Replaced it and Bam - Hot water again

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
racerchaser wrote:
Thanks to those who have replied. Should have stated that the outside shower and bypass valves have been checked. Also, the coach has never been winterized. We follow the birds south. If there is a check valve on the downstream side of the tank I am going to let a professional work on it as the tank is difficult to access.

Give us the model number. Doug

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
Fox

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Need MODEL number. If he has an XT model, the odds are the mixing valve is bad. Doug

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Another vote for checking the outside shower valves and the bypass behind the unit if it was winterized.

Also check the water filter - this if filled can case similar symptoms with Hot Water.

Usually something simple.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check, which is a much less likely one to be the problem is... If you have a washing machine turn off the valves to it. If the water heats up, then the mixer valve within the washing machine went bad.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another vote for checking the outside shower valves and the bypass behind the unit if it was winterized.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rv2go wrote:
There is a check valve in the hot water line after it leaves the tank. It does go bad. Mine was located right at the tank. Yours may be there or a short distance away. Since I do not winterize, I just remove the small plastic plunger and replaced the case.
If you winterize, you will need to replace the check valve in order to keep from filling the tank.

Hot out on tank (top)........nipple that is screwed into tank is the check valve.

They are cheap junk..plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly. Clog up, jam, o-ring gets dislodged---no hot water can flow out.

You can gut them and just use the nipple
You can replace.........and probably have same issue again
You can gut them and install a shut-off valve on hot out (close when/if winterize) and not have issues anymore
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked your water heater by pass valve?

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
There is a check valve in the hot water line after it leaves the tank. It does go bad. Mine was located right at the tank. Yours may be there or a short distance away. Since I do not winterize, I just remove the small plastic plunger and replaced the case.
If you winterize, you will need to replace the check valve in order to keep from filling the tank.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog