cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laminated floor expansion - How do you install under seat?

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am about to install my laminated floor. Since this product needs to expand, I wonder how I will install it under the driver and passenger seat.

I was planning on drilling holes in the plank, install the seats and screw the nuts down tight. This would sqeeze the plank and it will have no room to expand or retract.

How did you install your's and did you have any problems?

Thanks.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
10 REPLIES 10

erniee
Explorer
Explorer
In a coach, expansion/contraction is not much concern in such a small area.
Ernie Ekberg, Prevost Liberty XL Classic

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I read somwhere that it is the subfloor that moves, this would be why you need some expansion space. Perfo itself is, I think, pretty stable stuff.

When I installed the hardwood floor in the house, I nailed it down, still I needed to have some space for expansion, so the whole thing needs expansion, floor and subfloor has an assembly. I tried to find what exactly is the expansion needed per square foot, could not find it anywhere on the web.
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It doesn't move that much; don't worry about it.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Pergo runs 40 foot down my house and has 1/8 gap on each end. Compare that to the distance between your seats. Just bolt it down.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did vinyl planking which is not recommended for installation in non-climate controlled environments. My copilot seat is on a pedestal, so I cut a piece of 3/8" plywood to go under the pedestal and cut the vinyl around the plywood, leaving a 1/8" gap. I did the same under everything that got hastened through the vinyl into the subfloor. Finally, I left 1/4" all the way around, and double-stick taped the shoe molding to the vinyl. The key is to allow the floor to move as a unit.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I've installed a lot of laminate flooring.
The expansion dimension is over a relatively large area. So in somehting as small as a RV, you can take a few liberties with it.
It does need room to move but an 1/8" would be plenty. Just make sure it isn't binding anything anyplace.

This is what I was thinking too, the expansion if probably overkill in an rv floor. But has suggested, the plywood under the seat would be a good idea, and cut around the seat.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've installed a lot of laminate flooring.
The expansion dimension is over a relatively large area. So in somehting as small as a RV, you can take a few liberties with it.
It does need room to move but an 1/8" would be plenty. Just make sure it isn't binding anything anyplace.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
My seats in my Marquis have a skirt around them and the flooring doesn't go under the seat mount just around them. You can't see any of that because of the skirt hiding it. It's a solid wood floor the prior owner had professionally installed. When I did laminate in my old Winnebago I didn't remove the seats at all .. just went around them the same way
Bill

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You could cut the tiles so there's relief around a plywood plate you mount the seats on. That way the seats are always on solid ground so to speak.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

cseidel
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled a large 1 1/4" hole at each bolt and filled it with washers to a depth above the flooring level and then bolted the seat down. It has been two years and no problem.