cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LCI - Lippert

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
NOTE: This is copied and pasted from another forum I belong to. My desire is to give a heads up to those with LCI/Lippert systems, or those contemplating purchasing a rig with this brand on the unit. I hope it's not confusing as I'm copying a few follow up posts.

Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just under 11000 miles on it. After our last weekend camping trip, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

Follow up:

Received the controller yesterday. Installed it last night. Samo, samo. I did locate a complete operators guide on line and downloaded today. It does have a better troubleshooting guide than the one in the Winnebago owners manual. It stated that the Jacks Down display will show if the fluid in the reservoir is low. So, I added a little fluid. Nope. That's not it.

Taking MH back to dealer's on Thursday.

I also discovered that once I removed the outside compartment circuit breaker panel to gain access to the controller, there are two in line 15 amp fuses that run to two of the breakers. ???????? That would be real special while on the road if one wasn't aware of their locations.

Follow up:

Here's the link to the Owners Manual: OWNERS MANUAL - Lippert Components, Inc.

Follow up:

Just got a call from my dealer. They determined that the pump motor is bad. They called my extended warranty folks and they will not cover the diagnostic labor cost or the shipping charge for the new motor. They WILL pay for the labor to install the new motor and the price of the motor (less my deductible). Still gonna cost me almost $500 for this fiasco (I'm having them do an annual inspection on the MH,so that's some of the added cost).

Did I am not happy with Lippert products.

Follow up:

Just called the dealer. They informed me that the motor is scheduled to be shipped on the 26th. Not acceptable. I told the Service Manager we needed the mH back by the 15th. We have a trip planned that we paid for a year ago.

He stated that they contacted Winnebago about the pump motor, they informed them they are on back order. I asked why he didn't contact Lippert directly for the motor. He said Winnebago built the MH so they have to contact them. He stated that Lippert 'probably' doesn't have any pumps on hand. Then he tells me that even if he did contact Lippert directly for the motor, my super fine extended warranty probably wouldn't cover the motor as it would cost more ordering from Lippert. Huh?

I bought the best extended warranty my dealer (Tom Shaffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA) offered, and it won't cover it? Something smells.

Follow up:

Called LCI this a.m. before going to my dealer. Seems they have plenty of these motors in stock. Also called my extended warranty folks and was informed they approved the repair but do not recommend who the dealer purchases the parts from. Dealer told me that purchasing the motor directly from LCI Lippert would cost more and my warranty folks probably wouldn't pay the extra cost. False. The motor costs the same from LCI.

Anyway, traveled 45 miles to my dealer, spoke my mind, showed him the quote from Lippert and I all but accused them of attempting to order from a second party just to make more money. They ordered the motor from Lippert and I should have the MH back next week.

I am not happy with Tom Shaeffers Camping and RV center in Shoemakersville, PA.

I'll keep you posted as the the outcome of this fiasco. Now I'm waiting on the Schwintek (also an LCI-Lipert product) to fail. Seems their product line is notorious for failure. Wish I had done more research before buying the MH with their products attached.
James A. Dixon
43 REPLIES 43

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley: Maybe you should do some research before speaking. Try searching for problems with Lippert frames. Some of them are so bad the frame us coming apart. I don't know how long you have been RVing but I had never heard of a trailer frame breaking due to using small gauge material. Companies use Lippert for many reasons. For one thing they will engineer the product ( but often bad engineering). The RV mfr. becomes an assembler. No need for structural engineers. Lippert makes steps, slide outs, trailer frames, substructures and much more. They even make the drop down beds used in some Toy haulers. You wont see their junk in a mid priced Newmar or a Fleetwood American Coach. I have even seen a small RV plant in Texas ( or Oklahoma) with a small Lippert plant next door. No need to bring stuff from Indiana. I would never buy a unit with that Schwintek Lippert slide system. Let's hear from the Thor owners. Do they use Lippert slide outs? Probably.

Moisheh

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Old Soldier wrote:
Lantley wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Everyone should be aware that Lippert is the largest supplier of components to the RV industry. They have been buying up smaller companies. They build frames for much of the TT mfrs. These frames like most of Lipperts stuff are junk. Same for their slide outs. Probably cost the mfrs. less than other slide out systems. I don't think you see that Lippert c--p on mid to high end units. Winnie loves their stuff.

Moisheh

What other slide out systems? Lippert is the only game in town.
Once again we read of problems only and want to condemn everything.
We don't hear of the LCI products that are working fine.
If Lippert is so bad why has no competitor step in and taken away market share?
Why is Lippert able to expand into other areas. RV manufacturers are using lippert more not less.
For the record Winnebago is one of the better more financially sound RV manufactures. LCI stuff is prevalent across all RV lines.

What's funny is that this thread condemns Lippert because a motor failed...and the OP could not diagnose and fix problem himself.
Motors fail ... it happens however there is no need to throw Lippeert under the bus over the issue. The entire thread is a lot of LCI bashing based on nothing.

Here we go again. Someone running their mouth without doing any research. 'only game in town'? Really? Let's see, HWH, Liftco, and Accu Slide are manufacturers of slide mechanisms.

As for RV manufacturers using MORE of LCI stuff, it's because of the price to manufacturers. They're using a bunch of cheap Chinese junk and able to offer a lower price. It's gonna bite the manufacturers in the butt by doing so.

I for one would gladly pay more for a product and have it made in USA and give me better reliability.

Could have But you didn't. You purchased the same massed produce stuff that 90% of the RV world uses. LCI is a much bigger company with way more market share than those companies you listed.
My point is LCI is expanding their business not Accu-slide or any of the others.
Is that LCI's fault? As you found out it's hard yo buy an RV without LCI components. Is that because LCI is terrible? Is it because there is little competition? Not sure but LCI continues to expand and consumers continue to buy their stuff.
In the end I imagine it's because price is always the driving factor.
RV consumers claim we want better but in the end we are not willing to pay and the premium manufacturers that use better material continue to fall to the wayside.

"Could have, but you didn't". That's because this MH is the first we've owned with slides. I did not do research on slides before purchasing this MH. I have since, thus the reasoning behind my comment. I know now what to buy and what to avoid.
James A. Dixon

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
RodLyle wrote:
I had the same problem. But Lippert was very helpful. I went right to the motor put a cable from car battery on it. NO POWER.......replaced the motor.

Took old motor had it tested at a shop IT WORKED needed new brushes. COST

75 bucks.......anyone need a pump motor? Send me a PM

I believe the new motors Lippert is using are permanent magnet type. No brushes. I'll find out when I have my old motor rebuilt. Gonna carry a spare. If I were you, I'd keep my rebuilt motor also. The motor you installed is gonna fail sooner or later.
James A. Dixon

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Old Soldier wrote:
Lantley wrote:
moisheh wrote:
Everyone should be aware that Lippert is the largest supplier of components to the RV industry. They have been buying up smaller companies. They build frames for much of the TT mfrs. These frames like most of Lipperts stuff are junk. Same for their slide outs. Probably cost the mfrs. less than other slide out systems. I don't think you see that Lippert c--p on mid to high end units. Winnie loves their stuff.

Moisheh

Why is Lippert able to expand into other areas. RV manufacturers are using lippert more not less.
For the record Winnebago is one of the better more financially sound RV manufactures. LCI stuff is prevalent across all RV lines.

What's funny is that this thread condemns Lippert because a motor failed...and the OP could not diagnose and fix problem himself.
Motors fail ... it happens however there is no need to throw Lippeert under the bus over the issue. The entire thread is a lot of LCI bashing based on nothing.

Here we go again. Someone running their mouth without doing any research. 'only game in town'? Really? Let's see, HWH, Liftco, and Accu Slide are manufacturers of slide mechanisms.

As for RV manufacturers using MORE of LCI stuff, it's because of the price to manufacturers. They're using a bunch of cheap Chinese junk and able to offer a lower price. It's gonna bite the manufacturers in the butt by doing so.

I for one would gladly pay more for a product and have it made in USA and give me better reliability.

Could have But you didn't. You purchased the same massed produce stuff that 90% of the RV world uses. LCI is a much bigger company with way more market share than those companies you listed.
My point is LCI is expanding their business not Accu-slide or any of the others.
Is that LCI's fault? As you found out it's hard yo buy an RV without LCI components. Is that because LCI is terrible? Is it because there is little competition? Not sure but LCI continues to expand and consumers continue to buy their stuff.
In the end I imagine it's because price is always the driving factor.
RV consumers claim we want better but in the end we are not willing to pay and the premium manufacturers that use better material continue to fall to the wayside.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem. But Lippert was very helpful. I went right to the motor put a cable from car battery on it. NO POWER.......replaced the motor.

Took old motor had it tested at a shop IT WORKED needed new brushes. COST

75 bucks.......anyone need a pump motor? Send me a PM

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
moisheh wrote:

Moisheh

James A. Dixon

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:

Moisheh

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:

Moisheh

I mailed a letter to Winnebago today complaining about their use of subpar items in their MH's. I also stated that I would be willing to pay a little more for a unit with top quality items installed.
James A. Dixon

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Moisheh

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
lakebum wrote:
I feel your pain...

We had a similar experience on a recent 1500 mile trip, but no slides or levelers and LCI told me we needed to replace the $800 electric hydraulic motor, which I did on my own, only to discover that the solenoid was also bad, replace that ($100), then tested numerous times, everything worked like it should.

Then went our our first trip and tried to drop the levelers and the motor, wires all all smoked!!!, filled up the coach with smoke. No slide or levelers.

Called our dealer and earliest appointment was a couple of days short of ONE month away (which is this Tuesday) However they tell me it could still be 3-4 weeks BEFORE they even look at it. Then have to fix it.

We have an annual family trip that we go on every year for the lat 20 years, however this year was even bigger as family has grown and we have 8 site and cabins.

Not a "happy camper"

Sorry for your problems. I hope the issue gets resolved quickly.
James A. Dixon

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain...

We had a similar experience on a recent 1500 mile trip, but no slides or levelers and LCI told me we needed to replace the $800 electric hydraulic motor, which I did on my own, only to discover that the solenoid was also bad, replace that ($100), then tested numerous times, everything worked like it should.

Then went our our first trip and tried to drop the levelers and the motor, wires all all smoked!!!, filled up the coach with smoke. No slide or levelers.

Called our dealer and earliest appointment was a couple of days short of ONE month away (which is this Tuesday) However they tell me it could still be 3-4 weeks BEFORE they even look at it. Then have to fix it.

We have an annual family trip that we go on every year for the lat 20 years, however this year was even bigger as family has grown and we have 8 site and cabins.

Not a "happy camper"
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Is it me or is this new member just a LCI troll. First he is bashing a product because a part failed, it happens on everything man made period. The owners warranty and service dealer gave him a run around about parts availability and cost. I saw no fault of lippert here. Just some one bashing a product and a problem that really has nothing to do with him. I call TROLL.

Not a Troll. Been a member of this forum since 2004. Just don't post a lot. I was a former Senior Member of this forum.

No Fault Of Lippert. BS. They have an INFERIOR product. Surf the web. You'll find many complaints about their products.

I have been told, but can't confirm it, that Winnebago has stopped using some of LCI products because of failures.
James A. Dixon

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Old Soldier wrote:
Another reason I don't like LCI products. Check this video out. It tella one how to override the Schwintek slide system in the event of problems while traveling. I can't even imagine the nigh mare this would be on the road.

https://youtu.be/xojUdPDWNS0

Thanks for the video link. I learned something today. That is far more simpler than I ever thought it would be.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it me or is this new member just a LCI troll. First he is bashing a product because a part failed, it happens on everything man made period. The owners warranty and service dealer gave him a run around about parts availability and cost. I saw no fault of lippert here. Just some one bashing a product and a problem that really has nothing to do with him. I call TROLL.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Old Soldier wrote:
Another reason I don't like LCI products. Check this video out. It tella one how to override the Schwintek slide system in the event of problems while traveling. I can't even imagine the nigh mare this would be on the road.

https://youtu.be/xojUdPDWNS0

If the slide fails while on the road you will be better off having access to the repair video than without it!
Really no winning for LCI on one hand they are criticized for not having full service manual available on the other hand having a repair video available is not good either!
But note LCI makes the frame,the slides,leveling system, and electronics. In the end it's easy to bash them for something but it must not be so easy for RV manufactures to replace them! LOL