cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LCI - Lippert

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
NOTE: This is copied and pasted from another forum I belong to. My desire is to give a heads up to those with LCI/Lippert systems, or those contemplating purchasing a rig with this brand on the unit. I hope it's not confusing as I'm copying a few follow up posts.

Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just under 11000 miles on it. After our last weekend camping trip, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

Follow up:

Received the controller yesterday. Installed it last night. Samo, samo. I did locate a complete operators guide on line and downloaded today. It does have a better troubleshooting guide than the one in the Winnebago owners manual. It stated that the Jacks Down display will show if the fluid in the reservoir is low. So, I added a little fluid. Nope. That's not it.

Taking MH back to dealer's on Thursday.

I also discovered that once I removed the outside compartment circuit breaker panel to gain access to the controller, there are two in line 15 amp fuses that run to two of the breakers. ???????? That would be real special while on the road if one wasn't aware of their locations.

Follow up:

Here's the link to the Owners Manual: OWNERS MANUAL - Lippert Components, Inc.

Follow up:

Just got a call from my dealer. They determined that the pump motor is bad. They called my extended warranty folks and they will not cover the diagnostic labor cost or the shipping charge for the new motor. They WILL pay for the labor to install the new motor and the price of the motor (less my deductible). Still gonna cost me almost $500 for this fiasco (I'm having them do an annual inspection on the MH,so that's some of the added cost).

Did I am not happy with Lippert products.

Follow up:

Just called the dealer. They informed me that the motor is scheduled to be shipped on the 26th. Not acceptable. I told the Service Manager we needed the mH back by the 15th. We have a trip planned that we paid for a year ago.

He stated that they contacted Winnebago about the pump motor, they informed them they are on back order. I asked why he didn't contact Lippert directly for the motor. He said Winnebago built the MH so they have to contact them. He stated that Lippert 'probably' doesn't have any pumps on hand. Then he tells me that even if he did contact Lippert directly for the motor, my super fine extended warranty probably wouldn't cover the motor as it would cost more ordering from Lippert. Huh?

I bought the best extended warranty my dealer (Tom Shaffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA) offered, and it won't cover it? Something smells.

Follow up:

Called LCI this a.m. before going to my dealer. Seems they have plenty of these motors in stock. Also called my extended warranty folks and was informed they approved the repair but do not recommend who the dealer purchases the parts from. Dealer told me that purchasing the motor directly from LCI Lippert would cost more and my warranty folks probably wouldn't pay the extra cost. False. The motor costs the same from LCI.

Anyway, traveled 45 miles to my dealer, spoke my mind, showed him the quote from Lippert and I all but accused them of attempting to order from a second party just to make more money. They ordered the motor from Lippert and I should have the MH back next week.

I am not happy with Tom Shaeffers Camping and RV center in Shoemakersville, PA.

I'll keep you posted as the the outcome of this fiasco. Now I'm waiting on the Schwintek (also an LCI-Lipert product) to fail. Seems their product line is notorious for failure. Wish I had done more research before buying the MH with their products attached.
James A. Dixon
43 REPLIES 43

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Picked up our MH this a.m. Checked the jacks and at first I got the old Error Function Aborted display. Did the reset (press Retract and Enter at same time). They work.

Now I discovered as I took the old motor apart this p.m. there was water inside. It ran out on my bench. Seems the end caps on this motor only have a fiber gasket, not a waterproof. Since this unit sits about 1 foot behind the left front tire, and the mudflap doesn't cover the whole width, there is an opening where water can splash directly on motor. One would think that Winnebago would have enclosed the pump. The new motor looks like it's got the same type gasket material, and I don't know if the dealer replaced the seal between the motor and the pump. Soooooo, I'm gonna silicone caulk all areas I think water can enter the motor.

Tried to post pictures, no success.
James A. Dixon

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Old Soldier wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't understand how this thread has lasted this long. It was started by someone that copied a post from another forum, has nothing really to do with him other than he just likes to bash LCI. If he was really involved I could understand but its just a troll post and yall jumped in with him.

thanks for the heads up post I never knew that I thought it was his own motorhome he was talking about here

BTW it IS my motor home. If you think otherwise, go for it. If you don't like my 'heads up' about LCI products, that's your business. IF you have a rig with their products on board, it's not a question of will they fail, but when they will.
I did read it and just did so again. You said you copied from another forum you belong to. I did not see anywhere you ever said you wrote it. You should be a little more clear in you post. Just so you know I had LCI jacks and slide on my 04 PA.and on my 03 5er with LCI frame also. Never a problem. Anything man made will break sooner or later. Simple thing here is if you don't like a product you don't have to buy it but your statement about ALL LCI products will fail is just ridiculous.

So my OP was misleading. Sorry about that. I stand by my remarks that LCI products are junk and WILL fail over time. Their affiliated companies are using cheap imported Chinese stuff so their profit margin is greater. Don't believe there stuff is inferior? Google this RV forum site and others. You'll be amazed at the number of complaints with their products. Ever wonder just how many items could be on your RV from Lippert? Here's a link to their website:
http://www.lci1.com/
James A. Dixon

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old Soldier wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't understand how this thread has lasted this long. It was started by someone that copied a post from another forum, has nothing really to do with him other than he just likes to bash LCI. If he was really involved I could understand but its just a troll post and yall jumped in with him.

thanks for the heads up post I never knew that I thought it was his own motorhome he was talking about here

BTW it IS my motor home. If you think otherwise, go for it. If you don't like my 'heads up' about LCI products, that's your business. IF you have a rig with their products on board, it's not a question of will they fail, but when they will.
I did read it and just did so again. You said you copied from another forum you belong to. I did not see anywhere you ever said you wrote it. You should be a little more clear in you post. Just so you know I had LCI jacks and slide on my 04 PA.and on my 03 5er with LCI frame also. Never a problem. Anything man made will break sooner or later. Simple thing here is if you don't like a product you don't have to buy it but your statement about ALL LCI products will fail is just ridiculous.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Our owners packet has a LCI drive adapter to power the pump motor with a cordless drill in cases like this! Chris

Ours also has the feature. Remove the rubber end cap on the motor, use 1/2" socket with a cordless drill, open the manual override valve, and spin the motor with your drill and socket. You can lower or raise the jacks using this method. Our Jacks were fully retracted, so I didn't have to resort to this procedure.
James A. Dixon

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
RodLyle wrote:
Old Soldier stated:

I believe the new motors Lippert is using are permanent magnet type. No brushes. I'll find out when I have my old motor rebuilt. Gonna carry a spare. If I were you, I'd keep my rebuilt motor also. The motor you installed is gonna fail sooner or later

All things fail with time. Like I stated earlier the company was very helpful and the tech that worked on my was great. What can I say.

Yes, all things fail with time. But, this unit had less than 40 cycles one it. Not too reliable if you ask me.
James A. Dixon

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our owners packet has a LCI drive adapter to power the pump motor with a cordless drill in cases like this! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Old Soldier stated:

I believe the new motors Lippert is using are permanent magnet type. No brushes. I'll find out when I have my old motor rebuilt. Gonna carry a spare. If I were you, I'd keep my rebuilt motor also. The motor you installed is gonna fail sooner or later

All things fail with time. Like I stated earlier the company was very helpful and the tech that worked on my was great. What can I say.

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

James A. Dixon

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

Read my OP. I stated I copied and pasted a post I WROTE from a different RV Forum I belong to. I wrote the OP, I copied it, I pasted it. End of story.
James A. Dixon

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Old_Soldier
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
The one thing that strikes me odd is once you realized you had power to the solenoid when the jack down button was pushed you should have and the tech guy for sure should have then realized the motor was dead and
saved a lot of anger over the whole deal,The story about where the dealer could or could not get the motor from is another ridiculous situation that you unfortunately had to endure

Power to the solenoid is constant (unless the power is interrupted) to the 'power in' stud. Doesn't matter what button is pushed, or if any buttons are pressed. Works very similar to a standard Ford (older models) solenoid. Two main lugs (power in from the battery, power out to the motor). Two small lugs with smaller wires to the controller.
James A. Dixon

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
The one thing that strikes me odd is once you realized you had power to the solenoid when the jack down button was pushed you should have and the tech guy for sure should have then realized the motor was dead and
saved a lot of anger over the whole deal,The story about where the dealer could or could not get the motor from is another ridiculous situation that you unfortunately had to endure

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Let's hear from the Thor owners. Do they use Lippert slide outs? Probably."

OK, I am a Thor owner and I have Lippert slides and a bunch of other parts from them as well. So far the main trouble that I have had was that the slide tracks were not shimmed properly and the factory and had accelerated wear as a result. Other than that, I had a wire break inside a wall going to one of the slides but I don't feel that Lippert was in any way responsible and Thor used a bed lift rated for 150lbs to lift a double bed with cabinets underneath. Thor has since started putting a 500lb lift in this application. The main money that I have spent on Lippert stuff is I yanked out their sofa and put in a much better one but the old sofa still works. If anybody wants to swing by Pulaski and pick up a free 60" sofa I will give it to you. I agree that neither Lippert or Thor are top of the line but I only paid $145k for my DP and it has done what I really need it to do. Do I wish that they had made it a little better? Absolutely! Am I willing to spend the money for a Prevost? Absolutely not! So where do we draw the line? I don't have a good answer to that. I also doubt that Prevosts are infallible. I will give Thor credit in that it apears to me that most of the issues I have had have been addressed agressively. I would consider buying a coach from them today if I was in the market.

I do agree that dealers are generally incompetent and plan to do as many of the repairs as I possibly can. The last time my coach was in the shop they kept it much longer than they told me they would, a freeze moved in and damaged the water pump even though I was assured that the coach would be winterized, the batteries were somehow completely discharged at some point and my door got a hole poked through it. The problem was not fixed either.