cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving on long trip, best GPS

tmarie416
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving in 6 weeks on our longest trip to date (6 weeks) From Florida to Maine. We need to buy a GPS,do we need an "RV" GPS?? Opinions please!
Tina & Greg Cornell
2004 Georgie Boy Pursuit
2007 Chevy HHR
Trinity, FL
26 REPLIES 26

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp x 2. I have a Garmin zummo 660. Lately it has been messed up and taking me off track. I paid $50.00 for the map update but that still didn't fix it. I have also gone on line for updates. I recently mapped out a route to a simple destination and then watched where it wanted to take me. It made 3 errors with things like taking me off on an exit and right back on. Another error would have me going west on 10 from Sam Houston 8 and then telling me to go back east.

Problems like this obviously are not acceptable when pulling a FW, and on top of it I will now be pulling double at 63 feet!!!!! I'm not blaming all gps units but the bottom line is you still need to know where you are going. I'll be doing my research before I break camp and writing my directions down then use the gps as an additional helper. It is excellent for locating gas and food on the fly.

Last winter it took me off the Natchez Trace and down a dirt road that turned into one lane dirt rd and up a hill that was 4x4 territory and luckily ended up at girl scout camp with a large turn around. I dont usually go down roads like that unless I have scouted them on Google earth and street view. I no longer trust this thing. Just think of it this way, pretend it broke in the middle of your days travel so now what are you going to do? Well....do that before you leave and take the dummy along to maybe help out with lunch and fuel. ๐Ÿ™‚ Same issue with a cell phone if you lose signal. Yes, signal loss is common for us even with Verizon.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I use a GPS to find the closest restaurant or grocery store or whatever but I look at a map in the morning and know where I am going.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Garmin GPS in front of me and the DW has her TomTom GPS for her use. Since they both use a different database, we are able to sort out any discrepancies. The various PC programs only use one database source which may or may not be correct.
Just be sure to set it up the way you want to travel. If you want to avoid toll roads, major highways, shortest route or quickest route, most GPS units will allow you to set up your preferences.
All of our GPS units have also allowed several different routes to get to the same destination. Just pick the one that suits your travel plans. Keep in mind that if you chose the "shortest route" it will take you down some roads that you really do not want to travel on.
Be smart and review the route BEFORE you start driving it.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You likely already have the best GPS built right into your smart phone. Now that Google Maps has purchased WAZE, the real time traffic is the best I have ever seen and the routing is every bit as good as any stand-alone Garmin I have ever owned. I use one of the most recent Garmin releases in when traveling in the RV but I then turn on my Google Maps when I am getting close to the destination as I know that Google will do a better job of getting me through those last few miles.
If you are needing more than just routing information like campgrounds and food stops, this information is all going to be out-of-date even on the most current GPS with the most current software update. The GPS database simply cannot store enough to compare with what can be handled using the internet for your searches. For campgrounds I like RvParky.com (there's an app as well) and you can use RvParkReviews.com to see what others think about that choice. I also use Google Earth (A LOT!) to see what the park actually looks like both from above and from a street view. You would be surprised at what the campground says about itself and then what the camera shows.
Save your money on the GPS purchase (as always, my opinion). If you like a larger display then a small android based tablet will give you the same thing with a larger screen.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
My must have feature is Lane Assist. Different makers call it different things, but it's the feature that shows you which lane to be in as you approach complex interchanges. It's been on the last two in dash systems I bought and it's great.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I use my I phone with the Waze app.
I have never been routed to a low bridge.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I still like to use paper maps with the GPS as an aid.

The maps never sent me down the wrong road. ๐Ÿ˜‰

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I have used CoPilot app for over a year and love it. They now have one for RV's (you can also change the setting for auto) and it comes with traffic subscription for one year. The price right now for CoPilot RV is $59.99. With any GPS you will also need to double check the route, make sure the setting is on quickest route not shortest and I look at the route on an Atlas just to make sure it looks like we stay on major highways.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C wrote:
I don't use an RV GPS but I love my Garmin with traffic.

Me too......but only because I had it in the cabinet being unused when I got the RV. There HAVE been a few times that it has taken me on secondary roads that made me a bit uneasy.

So I say: If you already have one that you like, use it.
If you are buying new, get one with special programming for a large vehicle.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this popular subject search this Forum for `GPS' and read on. We like our Garmin 760LMT. No matter what model you buy it is better than trying to find your way with maps and a nervous navigator.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Garmin RV GPS. My opinion is that it is essential to have a RV or Truck GPS because it warns you of low height bridges or bridges/roads that you are too heavy for. Warns of steep grades etc...Others will say that they make books for that. They are right. I buy a GPS so I don't have to fool with books.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use an RV GPS but I love my Garmin with traffic. I ALWAYS plan the days route the night before on the computer. I like DeLorme Street Atlas. The GPS just tells me how I'm doing and if there is any problem ahead.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew