cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving tomorrow for Fla

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our MH back yesterday with the towing system to tow our JKUR. I had 6 new Michelins put on at a local tire store immediately after we unhooked the Jeep. Got it home changed the oil in the MH, refilled the propane, fuel and am gonna change the oil in the genny this morning then fill up with fresh water. I noticed a stop light bulb was out last night on my way home from the propane refill so gonna replace that too. It's a 1200 mile trip from our place in NJ to our destination in Fla. How many miles do you all drive in a day? I figured if I can get 600 in tomorrow, 500 in Friday we should be good to go Saturday on our final leg. Is this too aggressive? Maybe 500, 500 and 200? Or even 400, 400 and finally 400? I'd like to finish up with 2 or 3 hours of driving. Anything else? Any suggestions? I figure I'm gonna take 95 down the whole way and leave about 0800-0900.

Thanks

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
33 REPLIES 33

Herewego
Explorer
Explorer
Safe travels. Depends on what time of day you leave and what your personal preferences are. We leave eastern Long Island around 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM on a weekday and check traffic on Google Maps as we get into Delaware.

Then make a decision as to whether or not we're staying on 95 or taking 896, to 301 to I-95. That route takes you through Waldorf, Md where you will hit a stretch of traffic lights, is preferable if Baltimore and DC look like there's traffic or if a rush hour is approaching.

Usually stop somewhere in southern NC. RVacation campground in Selma is right off i_95 on the east side. Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids is nice also if looking for a campground.

Pecan Park on the north side of Jacksonville is easy on/off, reasonable with long, pullthru sites and 50 amp.

We arrive in Fla on day two, around dinner time after the one stop and either head to Tallahassee, spend a night or two in Jax visiting friends or arrive at Disney's Fort Wildernss around 8:30 PM that second day.

Safe travel and have fun!
😛
2004 Coachmen Aurora on a FORD V-10 Chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty
Don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them here!

😛

I don't know where in jersey you are starting from----South Jersey take 301 down through MD and you come out North of Richmond----one toll I think and miss DC completely. Take the by pass around Richmond. No way do you want to come down I-95 South of DC Unless you can hit there after 12 and before 3,take the HOV lanes South to below Quantico. Need an EZ pass. I can leave BWI airport and be in central NC or the NC__SC state line in 5 hours normally but I time the traffic and come straight down 295 to 395 hit the HOV lanes and go----timing is everything.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Going south....the beltway is a bear..and make sure you take 695 around the Baltimore tunnels.....when you get into NC...a good first night stop is RVacations right at exit 98 in Selma...then get thru SC..the roads well SUCK there..your teeth will chatter but get thru it early in the day...it puts the test to anything and trust me, stuff gets loose...no problem with fuel stops and the like...have a safe trip..
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody. We're not in much of a rush, we just need to be home by May 19. I think I was a bit too aggressive with the 600 mile number. I would like to go a bit further than 300 though. So I'm thinking 400-450 until I'm there. Anyway, as if you all can't tell this is our first long trip in any RV, we've mainly done the 4-5 hour drive deal and camp a few nights and come home, so 300 mile radius, roughly. Not to mention it's our maiden voyage with our toad, so I'm stressing big time. Anyway, We're all hooked up, filled up, packed up and ready to go tomorrow am. I'll update with questions and comments once we set up tomorrow night.

Thanks again for the help.
Bob

dog_house_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I found on my trip from St. Petersburg Florida to Vancouver Washington last year if I used 50 miles an hour as an average, six hours or 300 miles a day.Was very doable I came across to the southern US on I10 which until you get to the West Coast is a pretty flat interstate. I will say that Alabama Mississippi and Louisiana must have the worst roads in the world as I10 is terrible going through the Delta.

I found the six hours driving per day I could handle comfortably as I was solo for this trip except for my lab who is willing to take any trip with me. My departure each day would depend on the rush-hour traffic. Six hours usually put me at my next campground between two and three in the afternoon, thereafter setting up for the evening I could relax eat a meal walk the dog and review the GPS's and computer maps of my destination the next day and watch some television to get weather reports and catch some news

. I hope you find this useful

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
WARNING, You cannot drive a motorhome with a propane tank through the I-95 tunnels in Baltimore. You must take the I-695 West beltway around Baltimore. If you get caught going through the tunnels the fine is very substantial.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have been working to drive a reasonable amount so we do not arrive very tired. We have two drivers so that is clearly easier. We have two dogs so like to stop every two hours for a few minutes of break for them and then we change drivers. We are now averaging 400 ?450 miles per day and it feels pretty good. We get off the road earlier and relax. We have in the past pushed it hard including some 24 hr stints. Two days from LA to Madison WI was a push. No more. We love the journey now that we take it easy and if after 300 miles we are tired we look for a place to stop. That is rare but keep it as an option. I would suspect you are on a schedule with limited time for the trip so pushing a bit more is desirable. At this time of year you aren't probably going to experience bad cold so that is good. Just don't risk your safety by pushing when not alert. I can say that adding an hour to the day because you slow down makes the same distance easier especially when the roads are poor. Bad roads where you out.

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from our trip to Naples and broke it up to around 400 miles a day .It was 1,250 miles each way from Ohio. The plan was leave campground at 9.00 am and be off the road by 5.00 pm.We did not plan on two traffic jams at a hr each.On the way home we used the by pass around Atlanta and it was much better.We took 3 days down and 3 days home .It did make the trip down and back a lot less stressful. We stayed the week and put 650 miles on the toad going to Key West. We used to drive 12 hrs going to see my daughter in Myrtle Beach and then a 8 hr day on the second day . But as we get older the 9 to 5 days are the way we will travel now.You do use a extra vacation day each way but this is a vacation and to me this is the way to go.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just made that route down to Florida from NC. Was at Sanibel Island, Florida for a week, first week of April. Was incredible down there, wish we could have stayed longer!

As already said, I-95 through SC is a pretty rough road, not very smooth at all. It will wear on you, and shake anything lose in your coach thats not bolted down, haha. The day you are coming through SC, I would not plan on more than 400 miles that day. Preferably more like 300 or 350.

The trip was about 730 miles for us. We did it in 2 days, split the trip in half by stopping near Kingsland, Georgia on the way there and the way back. Like already said, there are tons of places to stop along I-95 on that route, don't worry about that.

JMO, but I'd try to split the trip up more evenly, do maybe 400 miles or so each day. 600 miles in one day is too much, IMO. Especially on that stretch of I-95.

Along that stretch of I-95, you can count on there being several traffic bottlenecks, hold-ups, etc. that will turn what you expect to be 8 hours on the road, into more like 9 or 10. There was one point in Florida on I-75 where it got so bad, I jumped off the interstate on a 'whim' and followed route 301 for a good ways. Ended up being quicker, too. A good GPS is a very useful tool when you want to take the 'scenic route' like that. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
You know that 600 miles is almost 12 hours travelling with stops and such, right?
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
"This one is much easier to drive" and if it's not any more, you need to decrease the rear air pressure to what your axle weight calls for. A tire will seat on the rim in the first 20 miles. Often new tires and too much pressure will handle poorly although it usually gets better after a couple thousand miles. How much pressure does the placard besides the driver's seat call for? Doubt it's 120. Good Luck
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
We usually rumble along about 50mph or so in our rolling Motel and are seldom in a hurry for getting anywhere, so anywhere from 50 - 150 miles a day usually gives us enough time to stop and smell the roses and maybe do some exploring, as well. We do own a couple of other vehicles for getting somewhere in a hurry as well and really hate it, when that happens...:(
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the time, not much more than you might think is needed, jump over to US17 south of DC. Better roads and much, MUCH less traffic. Made the drive home from Charleston SC. Was a very nice drive even at the height of the summer vacation season.

Miles per day is going to depend on you limits. Open, smooth roads with minimal traffic I can go from dawn to dusk. Make a run along I95 anywhere north of Richmond and I'm ready for a CG after a few hours. For the West Coast forum members doing an I95 run anywhere north of DC is about like trying to get from San Diego to Oxnard on a Friday.

Even though the tire installer ment well get the coach weight checked and reset the cold tire pressure according to your load. Good time to do it with a big trip on the horizon. Your probably loaded up with more stuff than you need and as such at a good weight to keep the tires pressure at even if your next trip is just a weekend at the beach.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry 110 in my steer tires and 100 across the drive axle. Those pressures are based on tire SIZE and axle WEIGHTS. YMMV...we travel no more than 3 hours/day at 60-62mph. Leave around 10-stop at 1ish. Allows us time to set up at the campground and enjoy the trip. Do some sight seeing, do some shopping, enjoy the resort we're at for the night. Allows us to hit the road the following morning rested and alert...

Our policy is it's the journey, not the destination that's important...lots to see between Jersey and Florida...IMO, get off I-95 and enjoy the country as you travel south.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so far all. We've had a class "A"since about 06-07, so I'm somewhat comfortable driving it. Our first was a 1999 29' Georgie Boy Pursuit, and was an absolute bear to drive. We used to visit our son in college and could barely do the 300 miles to get there. This one is much easier to drive than the old one. As far as tire pressures he said he put 100 lbs in the steering axle tires and 120 in the drive axle duals. The tire installer asked me to wait a day or so to deflate to 90 lbs in the front so the tires can seat to the rims.