cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leisure Travel Vans

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
From the looks of the Leisure Travel Vans web page it looks like they discontinued the Free Sprit line. As those were the units that probably could be classified as Class B's it would seem they've decided to get out of the Class B market. Haven't been able to find any information about the move so I thought I'd try asking here. Does anyone know anything about what Leisure Travel is up to here?

I'm kind of sad as I was really considering the Free Spirit SS as my next RV.
22 REPLIES 22

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Leisure TVL Unity MB water is out side, all others are inside.

None of these are four season units.

Pleasure Way is a great unit but water lines are exterior.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
jim165 wrote:
... but did see a clone...the Winnebago ERA 70C. While I think the finish and materials are probably a few steps below the Free Spirit, there were some elements that were better: 3 burner stove vs 2 burner in FS, clothes rod in shower, access to storage thru shower, awning over the slideout, and centered toilet vs the toilet jammed in a corner in the FS. Also, the manual bed might be one less thing to break. It was "only" $96K at the show, so significant savings. What is your take on the Winnie? It would seem that the Free Spirit's design is proprietary and Winnie has made a blatant copy? Maybe there is a collaboration? Your thoughts?

I think I'll probably still look for a Free Spirit used in the future to save some $$. Love this vehicle.

I agree, the fit and finish of the Winnie just wasn't up to what I've seen on the Leisure Travel in my opinion. My current RV only has 2 burners and I've never used more than one so that isn't a big deal for me. Personally I didn't like the storage access thru the shower on the Winnie. Just more chance for leaks and squeeks and more to clean too. As for pricing, I've found that VogtRV who handles Leisure Travel in the area typically offers the same level of discounts you can get at the RV shows, even on special orders.

I really liked the Free Spirit SS but the one thing that concerned me was the insulation, especially on the slide out. Plus I could never find any specific info on how the unit was insulated compared to what they say about the Unity. And all the water lines on the Unity are inside, not sure if that's the case on the Free Spirit. I've had outside water lines freeze while winter camping at Big Bend so that's a concern to me.

For those looking at the Leisure Travel Unity, Winnebago does make a diesel Class A of the same length, the Reyo. The interior seemed very roomy compared to the Unity.

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a B, we liked it, great fuel mileage.
The only down side was the wet bath.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
mumkin wrote:
jim165 wrote:
What is your take on the Winnie? It would seem that the Free Spirit's design is proprietary and Winnie has made a blatant copy? Maybe there is a collaboration? Your thoughts?

I think I'll probably still look for a Free Spirit used in the future to save some $$. Love this vehicle.

No way there is a collaboration. RV companies regularly "steal" each other's ideas. Other manufacturers have also copied LTV's murphy bed idea.

But then, both of these ideas are probably already used in Europe and/or Australia. LOL

Correct, not new here

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
jim165 wrote:
What is your take on the Winnie? It would seem that the Free Spirit's design is proprietary and Winnie has made a blatant copy? Maybe there is a collaboration? Your thoughts?

No way there is a collaboration. RV companies regularly "steal" each other's ideas. Other manufacturers have also copied LTV's murphy bed idea.

But then, both of these ideas are probably already used in Europe and/or Australia. LOL
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Granted Sprinter-based B's are great little campers but seriously, $100k for a camper van! Let's see - $30/night for a camping spot vs. $100/night for a motel....$100k/$70 difference = 1428 camping nights to break even. Not to mention the extra fuel cost to run a camper vs. an SUV. Kinda works out Ok if you're a full-timer, but full-timing in a camper van? OK, start slamming!

Nothing to do with slamming. Rv's come in many different types because we all have differents needs and wants. To each his/her own. We have spent many nights in hotels, had class A's, C's travel trailers, popups, tent camped with a canoe, and at this time in our lives class B's are the preferred way to travel.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

jim165
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Just a followup to my original question. I was at the Southwest RV show today in Dallas and spoke with the Leisure Travel Vans dealer. Actually spoke with a salesman who sold me my last three RVs so he and I go back quite a ways. He confirmed that Leisure Travel is concentrating on the Unity and Serenity models as their current backlog is about 8 months. He can't place orders for 2016 models any longer and next month the factory will start taking orders for 2017 models although he has no information on what changes are in store for 2017.

Wow, didn't realize the FS is no longer in production! That's news to me! New member here and I attended the Southwest RV show in Dallas as well. I went with the intention of viewing the Free Spirit SS in person. Couldn't find it, but did see a clone...the Winnebago ERA 70C. While I think the finish and materials are probably a few steps below the Free Spirit, there were some elements that were better: 3 burner stove vs 2 burner in FS, clothes rod in shower, access to storage thru shower, awning over the slideout, and centered toilet vs the toilet jammed in a corner in the FS. Also, the manual bed might be one less thing to break. It was "only" $96K at the show, so significant savings. What is your take on the Winnie? It would seem that the Free Spirit's design is proprietary and Winnie has made a blatant copy? Maybe there is a collaboration? Your thoughts?

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a followup to my original question. I was at the Southwest RV show today in Dallas and spoke with the Leisure Travel Vans dealer. Actually spoke with a salesman who sold me my last three RVs so he and I go back quite a ways. He confirmed that Leisure Travel is concentrating on the Unity and Serenity models as their current backlog is about 8 months. He can't place orders for 2016 models any longer and next month the factory will start taking orders for 2017 models although he has no information on what changes are in store for 2017.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 B van works for us at a fraction of new. Buying only new is is not necessary.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
I guess I'm just bemoaning the fact that it's extraordinarily expensive to be a camper these days.

Not on the secondary market...

as I Posted above we ended up spending less than 50% of our budget.

If some wants or needs to buy the newest and greatest (and the jury is out on some of the newer chassis and features- do they add value?) they can, but they'll pay for the privilege.

mike

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Have you researched Sportsmobile? Great site to see setup examples and prices for options.

All function and no frilly stuff.
Ray

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I certainly love being in a campground rather than a motel and at my age it's nice to have the potty traveling with me. I've actually looked very hard at a Class B (I'm talking true Class B with a full original body not a B+) and think it would work well for me as I'm a solo traveler. The Free Spirits in a Sprinter body were running as much as $120k and, in my opinion, were totally gouging the customers as competitor's list prices are now getting into the $80-90k range. I guess I'm just bemoaning the fact that it's extraordinarily expensive to be a camper these days.
Currently Between RVs

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
... Kinda works out Ok if you're a full-timer, but full-timing in a camper van? OK, start slamming!

It's not an option for everyone, but more people on a Class B forum are gonna think that works for them.
comfort/cost

Mike

tbirdman
Explorer
Explorer
You can also buy used if you want to save $$$. I picked up a real clean 2002 23' Coach House for 25% what a new one would cost. I'll probably invest $4-5K into doing some upgrades, but I feel I'm still money ahead even if I get some unexpected repairs. With my upgrades I will get Bluetooth, NAV, Sat radio, 2 backup cameras, 40" TV with Blu Ray player w/300W inverter, 200W solar and a 4 stage charger.

I figured 30 days of hotels and meals will run you about $4500/mo. Use the RV 3-4 months out of the year it makes good sense. And we haven't even talked about the travel comfort of traveling especially with a dog and the conveniences of having your home on wheels with you.