cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lemon law for class B

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone knows if the lemon law works for class B rv.
we have a Roadtrek class b Agile on a Mercedes 2500 chasis. it has been nothing but problems from day 1 with Roadtrek and now with Mercedes. today is the 5th time it has gone back to Mercedes for a check engine light that keeps coming on. I have called Roadtrek and also Mercedes and filed complaints with them both, but this is just frustrating that every other week the light goes on and i have to take it to a dealer to fix or at what they consider fix.
so, does anyone know if they or someone they know has gone through with a lemon law lawsuit? we are just at our wits end and don't know what to do and are tired of constantly going and getting service on this vehicle.

thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

avanti
Explorer
Explorer
Call a Lemon Law attorney. There are lots of them. If you have a legitimate claim, they will defend you on spec. It will not cost you anything. Very difficult to win a case without them. If you have no case, they will tell you for free.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Does the vehicle go into limp mode or is it just a light? Granted it can't be ignored either way due to warranty.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Even if Lemon Laws apply in your State, it has to be THE SAME PROBLEM every time.
The "Check engine" light is not a problem, it is an indication that you have a problem somewhere in the system.
It could easily be something different every time and therefore lemon Laws would not cover it.
We need more details on what the actual problems were. Do you have the worksheets/Repair orders?
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
as above, the "Lemon Laws" vary by State.
So check with your State AG or Consumer Affairs office.
This may be complicated if your vehicle is classed as a commercial chassis or something other than a passenger vehicle.
"Lemon Laws" are not in force is many States, so you could be on your own.

Of interest to Forum members is what fault are you seeing? ( that would act as a warning to other owners)

Is it the same fault or different each time- your paperwork from the servicing dealer should have the details on it.

Please share.
Details will not only help other owners and shoppers, but the Manufacturers do pay attention to problems when they are revealed...wouldn;t you love to be contacted by MB or RT with solution?

Mike

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
the whole story??? ok, bought it brand new in june 2014, problems, then problem with check engine light began in october, have taken it to dealer a total of 5 times since october. just last week dealer had it for three days, claimed it was fixed and now it is back there today again.
just wanted to know if anyone has experience with the lemon law on an rv?

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
Why do I feel we're not hearing the full story?
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Your complaint is mostly about an engine light? Daimler owns both Mercedes and Freightliner which brings me to my point. I drive a Freightliner class 8 truck and there always seems to be an engine shaped yellow light on. This is not to be confused with the engine shaped yellow light which says "Check" on it. Now in the "old days" if you got an engine light you had a problem. Well, according to the shop mechanics, these days it's not always the case. Seems everything in the truck runs through the computer. Example: the radio send a signal to the computer which sends it to the speaker. I have a dead stereo speaker because the truck needs to go to the dealer to get the computer re-flashed. If you turn the wipers on the switch tells the computer to turn the wipers on. What happens is unused circuits/connections cause false signals at times. IF all you have is a yellow light it can just mean you have a "cab fault" and not an "engine code". Frustrating but basically information overload.

If you turn the key towards on (don't start, just wake up dash)and wait for the dash to sequence through, then turn it off and repeat 3 times it will clear some codes.

X2 on the OBD diagnostic tool.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

jgkeeto
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought it brand new in June of 2104 and the problems with the engine began in October and continue

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
I'm curious, do you use an OBD diagnostic tool so you can check and reset the codes yourself?

Just wondering,

Is no one reading the code/s ?
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, do you use an OBD diagnostic tool so you can check and reset the codes yourself?
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

charles
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention how long you have had it and if the other problems were eventually repaired. A check engine light most likely would not be considered a covered problem under any of the lemon laws. I believe there were other posts on one of the forums here regarding lemon laws and I believe the consensus was that the laws did not apply to motorhomes. It might be beneficial for you to just find a good mechanic familiar with Mercedes and pay for it out of your pocket. This could go on forever and it's a big inconvenience to keep dropping it off. Sometimes your just better off doing warranty repairs yourself on these units.

Good luck with it,

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
You got me curious. I found this website....not guaranteeing it's correct, but sure gives you food for thought. 🙂 Good luck. LEMON LAWS BY STATE
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that you could check with the state attorney general in the state that you bought it??
bumpy