cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting a Class A sit for a month or two but full timing

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking to full time in a Class A when I retire. Currently my thoughts are not traveling a great deal in it but stay in one location for 1 or 2 months then moving to a new location. I live in Florida and plan on staying in Florida. Is it ok for a motorhome to sit for a month or two at a time or would it do more damage than good. Again, plan on full timing in it.

I have also considered either a 5th wheel or travel trailer, but don't want to buy a large truck to pull either of them. I am by myself so my thinking would be a class a would be easier to operate; set-up, tear down, etc.

Also, what would maintenance costs run per year on a Class A? Will definitely be buying used. Probably gas not a DP, in the 30' to 35' range. I had considered buying a boat to live on but everyone said that maintenance costs for a boat run 10% - 12% of the purchase price per year. If my budget was $75,000 for a boat then maintenance alone would be $7,500.00 and up per year. That seems high to me.
27 REPLIES 27

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
rollindowntheroad wrote:
I am looking to full time in a Class A when I retire. Currently my thoughts are not traveling a great deal in it but stay in one location for 1 or 2 months then moving to a new location. I live in Florida and plan on staying in Florida.

Re-reading your post you said that you will sit and then move to another place IN Florida. If you do not plan to boonedock, then a generator is not needed. If you only move within the state, you may not burn much fuel so you may need to stabilize the fuel that is not used.
Florida's high temps, salt air, and high humidity is not kind to any type of motor vehicle so I would minimize my investment and stick with a trailer until I determine how I like the full-time lifestyle. Having a trailer relocated every few months is not that big of a deal and there are several sources to relocate it. With either a Class A or a trailer, you will need some sort of regular vehicle for your daily use. Looking at Craigslist in this area you will see several trailers in the 30-35' range for under $10,000 that are not too old. If any them show no signs of leak damage you are good to go. I doubt if you will find a Class A in the same condition, and age, for less than $50,000, and there may be several issues that you can't see. The used trailer will have depreciated less(in dollars) in a few years than any Class A will and the maintenance is limited to wheel bearings and tires for the mechanical portion vrs everything mechanical that needs to be tended to with a Class A. Not to mention that insurance will be less for the trailer than the Class A, especially if you do not need liability coverage for the trailer.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
And DON'T run the engine once a month "just to let it roar". If you aren't going to drive it for an hour, don't start it. Don't take my word for it, ask the dealer service manager. Or any competent mechanic.

The generator should be started once a month and RUN UNDER LOAD, (heat, AC, what ever) for 30 to 60 minutes.

I agree for the most part but the new run times on the Onan's is now 120 days or every 4 months.
Having said that, I try to run mine every 30 days but winter is what it is.

You are going to have to show me that one. The latest owners manual I have looked at (2015) was un changed. Page 10 under Exercising your generator. Recommended to run for 2 hours every 4 weeks under 50% load.
Bill

Page 2-7

Funny on the very same page they list the monthly 2 hour run time and underneath that section they list the procedure of more than 120 days in storage.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
And DON'T run the engine once a month "just to let it roar". If you aren't going to drive it for an hour, don't start it. Don't take my word for it, ask the dealer service manager. Or any competent mechanic.

The generator should be started once a month and RUN UNDER LOAD, (heat, AC, what ever) for 30 to 60 minutes.

I agree for the most part but the new run times on the Onan's is now 120 days or every 4 months.

You are going to have to show me that one. The latest owners manual I have looked at (2015) was un changed. Page 10 under Exercising your generator. Recommended to run for 2 hours every 4 weeks under 50% load.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We camp for 2-3 months in winter and let her sit, no problems for last 9yrs. DP's cost a lot to maintain, so buy a gasser if cost is a concern. But you will suffer on ride quality, especially in higher winds!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
We are doing exactly what you are thinking about. We drive it and exercise the generator every 4-6 weeks. I keep up on annual maintenance, too. Enjoy!
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer

I did ask my dealer and they said the exact opposite. This came directly from Spartan, the chassis manufacturer. I'd say this depends on the chassis and engine. For a gasser, you may be correct.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Absolutely correct.

And, right before you park, fill the fuel tank to minimize condensation. For only a month or two, not sure you would need any fuel stabilizer.

ON EDIT: Correctly, below, rgatijnet1 corrected my "no need for fuel stabilizer". Yes, were you to burn the tank of fuel within a month or two, it would not be needed. But if your "moving around within FL" does not burn it during that time period, indeed, DO use a fuel stabilizer.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
rollindowntheroad wrote:
Thank you to all who have responded. I guess I should have re-worded my title to this post. I am planning on moving around but not traveling on a consistent basis. I would like to go to a location stay a month or two then move to another location. I would not be staying in one spot and NEVER moving the motor home.

I still have a couple of years to make a final decision as to what I want to do, but for now this is what I'm thinking. I want the freedom to move where and when I want rather than buying a condo.

I think you have a good plan. I would look at a Class-A because you have more storage. This becomes more important if you are full timing. You will need a toad. let me repeat you will need a toad.
You will be able to go and see way more if you have a toad. After all what good is it to go someplace and sit in the RV park. This last summer in one trip I put 5300 miles on the RV and 5600 on the toad.
I wasn't on a fixed schedule. Most areas were about a week some over a month.
The "by a condo some place nice" theory just means you have to go to the same place all the time.
You know some people have motorhomes that sit for the entire winter with no problem.
Hear is a suggestion you have time to start doing research on areas you want to visit. Write down each area you want to visit example Colorado. Start a file for each area. Now you can look for things to do and see in that area. Whenever you hear or think of something interesting make a note in the file for that area. So when you decide to go to Denver you might plan on seeing the step at Mile High Stadium that is certified to be 1 mile above sea level.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is single so he probably doesn't have a need for a big kitchen or 3 slides! He also doesn't have a need for a big truck with poor fuel mileage. He is going to move every month or two. For his needs I would definitely purchase a 28-32' motorhome and tow an economical car. It will not hurt to sit for two months (or more). Millions of motorhome owners do the same.

Also OP, it would be a good idea, since you're not going to purchase for a few years, to look at 2014-2016 motorhomes now and find the size you'd want. Then when you're ready to purchase used years later, you'll know exactly what model you should be looking for to buy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The idea of a fiver or TT with a truck sounds great until you start touring in the truck, they are not very fuel efficient for one person to travel in when not towing. You can find a small modest car that is suitable for a tow'd that will provide reasonable fuel mileage and not be a pain to maintain. We know couples that travel with a fiver pulled by a truck and the DW follows in the small car so they have something reasonable for around town and they save the truck mileage for towing. This does not tickle my fancy. DW and I share driving and enjoy being with each other on the road even after 51 years, but that is way off topic 🙂
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
We are full time and in a mh. We have also had 2 fives and another 40 ft MH both MHs were dps.
If I were you and Im not I would look hard at the fifth wheel. You will get high ceilings big kitchens etc. (I'm talking 36ft 3 slide type) these are not complex units, most systems are simple to maintain and repair. Add to that a 5 yrs old diesel truck 3/4.ton low miles you will miss the big depreciation hit. All of the big 3 have 100k drive train warranties and most shops can work on them. We move often and the MH is better for us, we can dry camp without getting out of the rig.
Just my ho pm if you need more.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Bad advice IMO to steer you to a truck and trailer for your use. What do you want to drive every day, a 30 mpg car, or 15 mpg truck?

Trailer and truck will cost as much as a decent MH.

PS- in FL a pickup will cost more to insure and register than a MH.

My view is a trailer is the perfect RV for those who have or need a truck for other reasons. A MH is ideal if you want to drive something other than a truck on a daily basis.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...