cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting a Class A sit for a month or two but full timing

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am looking to full time in a Class A when I retire. Currently my thoughts are not traveling a great deal in it but stay in one location for 1 or 2 months then moving to a new location. I live in Florida and plan on staying in Florida. Is it ok for a motorhome to sit for a month or two at a time or would it do more damage than good. Again, plan on full timing in it.

I have also considered either a 5th wheel or travel trailer, but don't want to buy a large truck to pull either of them. I am by myself so my thinking would be a class a would be easier to operate; set-up, tear down, etc.

Also, what would maintenance costs run per year on a Class A? Will definitely be buying used. Probably gas not a DP, in the 30' to 35' range. I had considered buying a boat to live on but everyone said that maintenance costs for a boat run 10% - 12% of the purchase price per year. If my budget was $75,000 for a boat then maintenance alone would be $7,500.00 and up per year. That seems high to me.
27 REPLIES 27

seatboard
Explorer
Explorer
Due to Med problems DW and I have not used our 06 Revolution in four years.I take it out often and run it around for 50 or so miles and then back home for a few more months. This sucker has Six NEW,NOW THREE YEARS old, tires which have less than a thousand MI on them. It is still running like new. I Do start the engine often, (Just to hear that diesel roar)
Harold and Faye US Navy Retired
2006 Fleetwood Revolution 40LE
400 cat

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with the trailer/truck group. You'll get move living space in a trailer/fifth wheel than a class A plus you'll have a vehicle for general day. You don't need a monster duel rear wheel truck to tote around a good size trailer or fifth wheel. A diesel powered Ford F250 or Chevy/Ram 2500 series will pull a 30-40 towable with ease. With a class A you have to deal with maintaining two motorize vehicles along with the additional cost of insurance and such. Other than connecting and disconnecting set up and tear down isn't much different. You still need to level/stabilize, connect water/power/sewage, awning, slides, outdoor seating,,,,

Yearly maintenance cost will vary with age of the coach, if you can do the maintenance, if buying used how did the prior owner maintain the coach and location (cost vary across the country). Maybe $2000 to $3000 a year maintenance budget will see you through but you'll need to figure in tires at some point in time. Very few owners will wear out the tires on a coach. They usually rot first. Maintenance isn't difficult and there are a lot of owners posting videos on You Tube showing various ways to do things. If you must use a service center costs can climb to the boat level very quickly. Power train and chassis maintenance is either a usage/mileage or calendar interval so even if you hardly drive the coach you shouldn't neglect the chassis.

I have a class A because we like to travel not stop at one location for an extended period of time. Our longest stays are measured in days but we're not full timing, yet. If our travel plans change to more stay time and less road time we would shift to a fifth wheel/truck. You're plan will certainly work but you might be better suited with a trailer/truck set up.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you to all who have responded. I guess I should have re-worded my title to this post. I am planning on moving around but not traveling on a consistent basis. I would like to go to a location stay a month or two then move to another location. I would not be staying in one spot and NEVER moving the motor home.

I still have a couple of years to make a final decision as to what I want to do, but for now this is what I'm thinking. I want the freedom to move where and when I want rather than buying a condo.

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the maintenance cost depends on your ability to do not only mechanical repairs, but also home repairs. Winterizing will cost anywhere from $100-200, it you have to have it done. An oil change will cost between $45 and $100+, depending on your setup. That doesn't include the generator, that's another $40-75.

For a comparison, I changed the oil in both the engine and the generator and winterized mine this weekend. I spent probably four hours total time (I was in no rush) and materials cost me less than $50, but more importantly I know it's done right.

For a $75k budget, you can get one heck of a set-up in either a Class A, or travel trailer and a truck to pull it. But if you are planning driving shorter trips and staying in one place for longer stays, I would agree with other suggestions that a travel trailer and truck might be a better way to go.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problems doing what you describe and it shouldn't be too expensive. If your budget is $75,000 for a used gas MH, you should be able to get a heck of a nice unit with only a few miles on it.

Class As like to be driven. If you plan to move every two months or so, that would be fine. Be sure to run the generator at the same time when you move to keep that in shape. Ideally, you should go through at least one or two tanks of fuel per year to keep that fresh. Get your rig inspected before purchasing and change out the fluids on schedule. You'll be fine.

Most folks who own class A motorhomes hardly ever use them. Many RV dealers and staff have told me that's the number one reason they deteriorate and fall apart. From neglect, not overuse. If you live in it full-time and drive it every two months, you'll be ahead of 90% of the RV crowd.

You haven't told us why you prefer camping over a condo, but I agree with you for my own reasons.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I think your best bet would be to buy a trailer and if you don't want to move it, pay someone else to move it within the state. In the long run, you will save money and the hassle of keeping a Class A in operating condition.

X2. Keep it simple.It will be cheaper in the long run.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
also have you considered the cost of the RV park? In Florida in the winter the prices are very high and in most you also have to pay the electric. It's not cheaper to live in an RV. Maybe a park model?
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
If I was never going to move what would be the purpose of having a movable home? I would think a small condo in a gated community would be more practical. Or even a small home in a gated community.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Many motorhomes sit for long periods between use. 1-2 months is peanuts.

X2
It's in storage the 5 months of winter we have.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

barmcd
Explorer
Explorer
There are a boat load of 12-15 year old motor homes for sale with less than 100,000 miles on them and most of them are in pretty good shape so I'd say sitting is not a big issue.

A travel trailer would be much cheaper in the long run however.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many motorhomes sit for long periods between use. 1-2 months is peanuts. For my gasser changing the oil once a year, having it inspected at a Chevy dealer costs a couple hundred. Washing several times a year, wipe on wipe of waxing once or twice, checking and inflating the tires, inspecting and washing the roof once, and cleaning and checking the outside components of the WH, refer, are about all it takes and these I do myself. You would want to take some care with the tires by covering them from uv/sun or spray them with a uv protectant.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know anything about living in a boat but we've been full timing the past 3 years in our motorhome me spending sometimes up to 4 months in one place. If you run the engine every w weeks religiously same with the generator you should be fine. Many will tell you that you need to drive it to keep the tires from having issues. We've not had any problems
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. — High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your best bet would be to buy a trailer and if you don't want to move it, pay someone else to move it within the state. In the long run, you will save money and the hassle of keeping a Class A in operating condition.