cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lighted? 120 volt red water heater switch

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
The 2 red rectangular rocker switches on the inside control panel for the water heater are red in our coach and our last coach Holiday Rambler 2002. Is the electric 120 volt rocker switch in red next to the propane rocker suppose to light up when on? don't think it did on H/R, but can't remember...
Propane switch lights up as well as the little red dot showing ignition.
Reason I'm asking is house battery switch by door the red light next to it is out and found info on it to replace..nothing yet on water heater
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad
13 REPLIES 13

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
Update...finally made it to a RV parts store yesterday. Bought 2 items.
The sigma illuminated switch 3 spade they had (for 120v water heater, rated for 120, 240 and 12v) fit and the illuminated red indicator light 2 spade they had was too big for the house main switch coming in the door.(both JR Products).
I kept popping the 5 amp fuse "behind" the monitor panel, which powers the tank readings, water pump lighted switch and water heater switches. Thought I reinstalled the wires like they were. The 12volt fuse is NOT in the bedroom with the others it is behind the panel, lotsa screws to get behind the monitor panel and it was in a holder behind the wiring.
The 3 wires on 120v W/H switch 12volt, two small white wires common female connector, 2 med size red wires common female connector and one med size green wire female connector. I replaced the switch as it was wired and I popped 3 5amp fuses. Lost all my lights so I just left the two whites on the one spade (gold not copper, the other two left off are copper) and got the panel working again but no 120volt on the water heater. Checked my owners manual but no schematic for those 3 wires. Does anybody know if the 2 little white wires are ground, red should be power and green to load or is it ground? Used my 12 volt test light and white to red lit the test light, so I thought easy fix,,,nope!...
Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks and I have everything back working except two red wires and green left off of switch behind panel till I get home. Propane works just fine, didn't want to ruin the trip. Now I am wondering if the old 120v water heater switch was bad plus not lighting up?
To be continued.....I'm not messing with it on the trip, don't want to be without water pump and monitors..DUH!
Sorry to be so lengthy but Murphys law, mess with things that aren't really broke just not lit up and I almost ruined our trip.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
those switches on Monaco / HR are supposed to light up. They are from Sigma, and readily available.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

SS_Slacker
Explorer
Explorer
road glide wrote:
So..in the above pictures you can see the propane indicator light works as well as the ignition failed dot light(just turned it on for a moment to show both lights work), but the 120 volt light is out and I will hunt that down and R & R.
The House power on light is also inop, but it is just an indicator light, different than a switch light. It's a quick fix, whereas the entire monitor panel requires removal (about 8-10 screws)...to get behind the 120v water heater lighted switch..to be cont...
Found one source already....

lighted switches

and another..

more lighted switches

Well, for me it is the OCD and I fully admit it. I have replaced a couple of those lighted switches as well as some of the lights that are next to the switches. Some of them I need like the cargo bay master switch light indicator and some of them I replaced because of the OCD.

I have this need to have everything in my RV work the way it is suppose to, so I replace or repair anything that does not work as designed. Based on your pictures we have the exact same panels and other than removing and replacing the panel screws, it is a quick and easy job. Also, you may want to consider ordering an extra switch and indicator light. I carry spares now and when one goes out now I can replace it immediately
Dan & Tracy
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
So..in the above pictures you can see the propane indicator light works as well as the ignition failed dot light(just turned it on for a moment to show both lights work), but the 120 volt light is out and I will hunt that down and R & R.
The House power on light is also inop, but it is just an indicator light, different than a switch light. It's a quick fix, whereas the entire monitor panel requires removal (about 8-10 screws)...to get behind the 120v water heater lighted switch..to be cont...
Found one source already....

lighted switches

and another..

more lighted switches

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
SS Slacker wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
SS Slacker wrote:
I have a 2003 HR and suspect I have the same panel as you. I also have the two red switches next to each other for the Water Heater. One Propane and one 120V. BOTH switches light up red when they are turned on. The propane also has a small red dot next to it for ingnition, but yes, both red switches are lighted. I had one of those red ones burn out and I bought a new replacement switch from the dealer for around $6 and replaced it as I wanted them to be lit when on. After unplugging the harness and squeezing the prongs the entire switch pops out and the new one goes in.

In short, Yes, they both should light up when on.

On the small red propane dot, doesn't that only light up after the main propane heater has failed to ignite? The only time on my panel I've seen that light up is when the water heater tried to ignite a few times and failed and then it timed out and the light came on.

Yes, that is correct and like mine also..I should have said "ignition failed" for the small red dot

Thanks for the input...wanted to respond before I go off looking again for a "replacement" lighted switch and a lighted indicator light....
I will check the tech section...
Got 2 pictures of my monitor panel for you and 1 of the indicator light for house batteries which is also inop...
Are we all OCD? (obsessive compulsive) or just being safe?

SS_Slacker
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
SS Slacker wrote:
I have a 2003 HR and suspect I have the same panel as you. I also have the two red switches next to each other for the Water Heater. One Propane and one 120V. BOTH switches light up red when they are turned on. The propane also has a small red dot next to it for ingnition, but yes, both red switches are lighted. I had one of those red ones burn out and I bought a new replacement switch from the dealer for around $6 and replaced it as I wanted them to be lit when on. After unplugging the harness and squeezing the prongs the entire switch pops out and the new one goes in.

On the small red propane dot, doesn't that only light up after the main propane heater has failed to ignite? The only time on my panel I've seen that light up is when the water heater tried to ignite a few times and failed and then it timed out and the light came on.

Yes, that is correct and like mine also..I should have said "ignition failed" for the small red dot
Dan & Tracy
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
road glide wrote:
The 2 red rectangular rocker switches on the inside control panel for the water heater are red in our coach and our last coach Holiday Rambler 2002. Is the electric 120 volt rocker switch in red next to the propane rocker suppose to light up when on? don't think it did on H/R, but can't remember...
Reason I'm asking is house battery switch by door the red light next to it is out and found info on it to replace..nothing yet on water heater

Road Glide,
If your switch is anything like the one in the upper left corner of the picture below, then yes, it's supposed to light up. I'm one that tries to fix anything. I even took the switch apart to see what kind of MacGuyver operation I could do on it to make it light up. Not happening. I cruised on down to a local RV parts/supply facility and picked up the exact same switch for about $7.50.

Not anywhere near worth trying to install a new LED or any other form of light bulb in that switch. Just replace it. That switch can be removed and replaced in about two minutes, depending on how tough its access is. Mine was fairly easy in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. That switch sits directly above what's called the "One Place" control panel in the hallway. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

TOM_F
Explorer
Explorer
Just had this same problem, look for my thread in Tech Issues. A new $6 switch fixed the problem.
2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral
2013 Jeep Wrangler 4/Door

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
SS Slacker wrote:

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

SS_Slacker
Explorer
Explorer

Dan & Tracy
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
road glide wrote:

Both my switches used to light up, but the bulbs burned out and I've never replaced them. I really do need to replace them because you don't want to forget and leave them on while the motorhome is in storage. You could use up all your propane heating water for nothing.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
The red light in between our two switches only comes on when the propane did not light - after the 3 tries.

Propane switch is okay just wondering about the other (electric) red switch light...
so far I found sigma T-55...still researching...thanks

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The red light in between our two switches only comes on when the propane did not light - after the 3 tries.