cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Little Rock to Big Bend

Robert_Allen
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any "good" route from Little Rock, AR to Big Bend State Park for a class A motorhome that does not go thru Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.
7 REPLIES 7

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live on the FW side. Your best bet is to go south on 635/20 just follow 20 all the way around the south side till 20 heads West. Best to plan on travel when it isn't rush hour.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I live just off of US 380. I would not recommend it. A good road but due to incredible growth there is lots of traffic and traffic lights. In the ~35 miles from the east side of McKinney to the west side of Denton there are over 40 traffic lights. Have lost count. You barely get started rolling until you stop again.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Take 380 west and get beyond Dallas and drop back down to I-20.

Big Bend in November is a perfect time - golden cottonwoods and ideal temperatures. Hope you miss all the rain though.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
from I-30 in Greenville TX, take exit 94, take frontage road, then left onto US69/US380W. At Denton, take Loop 288 (truck route) then follow signs to return to US380W. Near Jacksboro, turn left on US281 south back to I-20. We also don't like going through Dallas. Yes there are some small towns but we don't mind that. If you want an nice place to spend the night, have the time, and don't mind backtracking, from US281, take I-20 east for 11 miles and try Oak Creek Park. The same people own Cloud Nine in Hot Springs. One of our favorite parks.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
mfox20 wrote:
I30 to I/635S to I20 is a good/fast route. Would just avoid the morning and evening rush hour. Should be no issues if you came through between 9:00am until about 4:00pm.

I agree with this. Mid day or weekends and this route will be fine barring any accidents or construction. Otherwise you will be getting onto highways that take you thru lots of towns with reduced speed limits and traffic lights, and longer travel time.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
I30 to I/635S to I20 is a good/fast route. Would just avoid the morning and evening rush hour. Should be no issues if you came through between 9:00am until about 4:00pm.
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while but I20 on the south side of Dallas/Fort Worth used to be OK. I don't know if there's a better route than I30/I635/I20. Yep I635 on the east side of Dallas can be problematic but dropping down to I20 before you get to the Dallas area adds mileage.
Currently Between RVs