Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy used (1998-2003) Class MH

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are looking to buy a used Class A MH (1998-2003). Has anyone had experience with that and can tell us what to look out for with an older MH? How long do transmissions usually last in these vehicles? We are first time RVers.
Thanks!
Teresa
40 REPLIES 40

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
PM me. 2003 36ft 3 slides.
Bob

Daboo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 03 Winnebago..bought it new...the trans and engine still seem like it is in great shape...it has been taken care of by me...I have had some minor problems..but have been able to repair most myself...I have read where the engine (8.1) is good for >175000 miles and the trans good for >175000.I now have 76xxx miles on the unit...we are looking for a news model but think I will keep this one..because I know how well it has been taken care of...The generator is still working great..I installed a new fuel pump to the generator a few years back...I would not be concerned with the age, if the unit has been taken care of...
Served proudly 1957-1965..U.S. Air Force

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
427435 wrote:
John Wayne wrote:
I would look more for 2000 and up that is when Ford and Workhorse made frame changes ( I think). Wider frames updated engines, disk brakes on all 4 wheels etc.

X2. There were also engine changes (for the better) in at least the Ford chassis.

We've been (and still are) quite satisfied with the 2000 MH we bought in 2005. The only appliances I've had to fix was the furnace (bad fuel solenoid) and the water heater (bad electric element). The furnace cost me about $300 for parts before I found the bad part and the water heater element was less than $20.

We put another 5500 miles on it this fall without any problems.

1999 is when Ford updated the F53 Chassis. Some motorhomes (Like mine) that were labeled as a 1998 are riding on the 1999 Chassis. The easy way to tell is just look for the V10 badge.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
craziresi wrote:
Unfortunately my budget is low... I'd like to find something for $30k or less.

You can get into a very nice '93 or '94 Foretravel at that price. Foretravels of that vintage will easly compare to many late model other brand gas rigs.

X2 !

A Foretravel from the mid-90s will be my next motorhome.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

Explorer
Explorer
craziresi wrote:
Unfortunately my budget is low... I'd like to find something for $30k or less. Can leaks or their damage be seen when looking the MH over? Thanks for all the replies so far! Very helpful. Do people prefer gas or diesel?

If you are in Rochester, MINNESOTA, PM me back. I would be happy to help you when looking at MH's.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
I would look more for 2000 and up that is when Ford and Workhorse made frame changes ( I think). Wider frames updated engines, disk brakes on all 4 wheels etc.

X2. There were also engine changes (for the better) in at least the Ford chassis.

We've been (and still are) quite satisfied with the 2000 MH we bought in 2005. The only appliances I've had to fix was the furnace (bad fuel solenoid) and the water heater (bad electric element). The furnace cost me about $300 for parts before I found the bad part and the water heater element was less than $20.

We put another 5500 miles on it this fall without any problems.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
craziresi wrote:
Another (maybe silly) question - Can you tow more with a Class A vs a Class C MH? I'm thinking of towing a Jeep Commander...

Maybe!! Some gas Class As have 5000# tow limits and some are less. That even applies to some DPs. The hitch, frame, and transmission are limiting factors most times. Class Cs have the same limitations but if you are looking at older models they are usually not going to be much over the 3500# (late 90s to 2003). Whatever you tow you will have to add a brake system for safety.
As you can see by my signature I have a 2003. The chassis is great and, except for a brake recall, has given me no problems. Mine still looks like new since I store it inside when not in use. When I was lookiing I wanted slides (wife did) and I checked out to find that Newmar was the first to have slides on production coaches in 1990. They have the most experience with slides and make a super coach. We live close to the factory (80 Miles) and have gone there one time to have an item checked out. They are great to work with.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
Another (maybe silly) question - Can you tow more with a Class A vs a Class C MH? I'm thinking of towing a Jeep Commander...

Buffettphan
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 1995 SouthWind several years ago. I might have paid to much for it at the time, under$20,000 but we sure had fun with. Trip to Fla and Canada towing a trailer. Just make sure things like the jacks, tires and brakes are 100% or they will leave you high and dry. I sure wish I had that today!!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
2004 Lance 1010
2005 GMC 2500HD
Bilstine Shocks
Hellwigs
Tork lifts
Stables Loads
Thule duel axle trailer
2012 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Limited
2013 Softail Deluxe
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster 883C

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
craziresi wrote:
Unfortunately my budget is low... I'd like to find something for $30k or less.

You can get into a very nice '93 or '94 Foretravel at that price. Foretravels of that vintage will easly compare to many late model other brand gas rigs.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have two motor homes in that age range, a 1999 Winnebago Brave 35C outfitted with wheel chair lift and hospital bed that we use with our quadriplegic son and a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G that we use when not traveling with him. We bought both used. The Brave now has 106,000 miles on it and the Adventurer 46,000 miles. Both are on the Ford F-53 chassis with the V-10 engine. We tow a Jeep Cherokee with no problems on any highway we've ever been on. We have taken both to the Winnebago factory for repairs. We had windshields replaced on the Brave and basement air conditioner cleaned on the Adventurer. We are members of WIT (Winnebago Itaska Travelers)a Winnebago owners club and have benefited a lot from that. Tiffin is another brand that I would highly recommend. Both brands have a lot of user support from the factory and on line user forums.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

TennTechMan
Explorer
Explorer
I have benefited from the fact that Winnebago seems to offer every bit of documentation imaginable for all of their motorhomes. Being able to find a wiring or plumbing schematic in minutes using their website has been great. I'm not sure which other companies, if any, also do this.

Diesel rigs tend to get better fuel economy than gassers.
-Aaron
1996 Winnebago Brave 33' - Ford F53 Chassis
Banks Power Pack and Trans Commander

craziresi
Explorer
Explorer
Again, thanks for all the replies.
Are there certain brands that any of you would reccomend to stay away from?? Or any brands that tend to perform better than the others?
We are looking to drive from Florida to NY every year for 2 months and live during that time in MH (it will include some travel also). Otherwise we will do a weekend here or weekend there. I would expect more driving than parking.
I'm wondering too, since the price of diesel is quite a bit higher than gas, does it make sense to buy diesel? I also heard something that if a diesel sits, it tends to clog up the lines???

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no problems finding something pretty nice in that year range with that budget. It may take a little while of looking of course to find the perfect one.

The first thing I always look at is the roof. See if the sealant looks cracked and dry. If it does and there is no sign of even spot resealing, it is likely they neglected any other routine maintenance as well. It's not always the case but I can usually get a feel for how the camper has been maintained by looking at the roof.

Of course, look for leaking fluids, odd smoke etc. when it is running. Also, just see how it drives in general. Don't have lofty expectations of ride comfort from a gas MH of this age but it shouldn't feel unsafe or completely underpowered. Tires should be inspected of course as others have mentioned.

When we were looking for ours, we ended up going with one that had issues but was priced accordingly. I went over it in detail to know exactly what I was getting into and offered what I thought it was worth and they accepted.

My thought process was that we could buy one for $30k (Our budget as well) that looked and ran perfect and something could break a month later and we would have no budget for repairs or we could buy the one that we got for $10k, fix the issues, replace the tires and still have a budget for repair if something else breaks.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
all good advise, look at PPL motorhomes, Camping World MH sales, Craigs list. To get an idea of pricing. Find a qualified RV inspector to look it over when you get ready to buy, this could be the best money you spend. Learn how to read tire date codes. Have fun looking then go have some real fun.