cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade to a larger Class C

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a '02 Lazy Daze. It's always felt too small and no storage. We love the rear with lots of windows -- if it had 2 slides, it could work. IT's 27' and worked OK for p/t but that's changing to closer to full time, sometimes.

Looking at an article called Top 10 RV's, http://rvroadtrip.us/top10/rv-manufacturers.php, I'm beginning a search of owners who have Class C's with slides. A perfect Class C would have lots of windows, quality build, etc. Guess 30' - 32' range, front driver/passenger chairs that swivel -- don't know how common that is.

Anyone in love with what they have? Any suggestions for manufacturer's to look at is greatly appreciated.
40 REPLIES 40

Jopops
Explorer
Explorer
jbbrick wrote:
Think twice about getting another C, we've had two C's and two A's and we prefer the A because of the GVW rating. No matter what C you get you still have only 14,500 lbs GVW and with two slides you don't have much room left and prob can't travel with much in your tanks. We moved up to a 32' A and have no worries about overloading but with our last C ( a nice 32 jayco) we were always over by 5-700 lbs.

Was it a Greyhawk?

That's a lot to be over - I guess there is something to be said about tolerances built into the design.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to take a look at Coach House motorhomes. They're built above Lazy Daze standards - in fact probably the best available small motorhome quality in the the U.S. - and offer slideout models:

http://www.coachhouserv.com/index.php
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are pushing into a size range where you need the chassis of an A or Super-C to carry the weight. 30 foot C's on 14,000 - 14,500 GVWR chassis are fully loaded when empty; I have one, I know.

My wife chose our Winnebago for the big windows, sense of airiness, two slides making it very roomy. It bothered me that it was awful heavy even when empty, but trips with the two of us were OK. Taking kids and grandkids along overloaded it.

The other problem with big windows and slides is that it tends to be hot in hot weather, cold in cold weather. Windows have no resistance to heat flow, tend also to be drafty in proportion to size, slides drafty in proportion to amount of edge.

If I though I needed more space for full timing, I would be thinking about an A gasser. These tend to sit higher above the frame (once you get above entry level) for a lot more exterior storage. Except for 24-28 footers on van bare chassis (E-series and Sprinter) you will have at least 16,000 GVWR, most 30-32 footers get built on even beefier platforms, 18,000 to 22,000 pounds.

You won't find any C's with slideouts built to LazyDaze standards, construction methods are quite different.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe many Cs have front seats that swivel. One reason for that is step behind the seats to the house. If you did swivel your seat bottom would be around floor level in the house section. There are Cs out there with more OCCC than some As.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

_en_Plain_Air_
Explorer
Explorer
Leland2 - I've sent you a Private Message

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others. When we were looking to upgrade from our B+, we looked at Cs and found some we really liked at a dealer but while there to check them out, we took a long look at a Class A. that was the end of the search for a C and the beginning of the search for an A. The Class C & Class A were just about the same length but the A was so much roomier. The cockpit becomes part of the living area which adds several feet to the floor plan.

Good luck with your search.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
I owned two Laza Daze RV's. My move to the class A was precipitated on the same things you are addressing. Inadequate storage, inability to be seated in comfort, tight spaces, unusable overhead that is too narrow etc.
I thought that the saving grace was the fuel mileage,but upon careful study of my personal experience, I get better mileage in a 34 class A than I got in my 30' class C. The other part of the difference is the massive amount of storage in my class A.
I hear all kinds a of stories about how much more a class A costs to run, but here again it depends on how much size you need. Of course you can't run a 45 foot 600 HP diesel for the same money, but that's an apples to oranges comparison. Class A's come in a great number of offerings and some of them are a great bargain for your comfort and enjoyment.
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
Think twice about getting another C, we've had two C's and two A's and we prefer the A because of the GVW rating. No matter what C you get you still have only 14,500 lbs GVW and with two slides you don't have much room left and prob can't travel with much in your tanks. We moved up to a 32' A and have no worries about overloading but with our last C ( a nice 32 jayco) we were always over by 5-700 lbs.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I love those rear windows on some Lazy Daze models. I wonder why other manufacturers never seem to do that? Many of us will recall that a lot of Class As,including the 24-28 foot models that were very popular back when, had big rear windows and side windows in the 70s and 80s. I guess it is cheaper and easier to just make a wall than a window. You will miss that, just like you said.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Comparing same size, class As will have more CCC than the class Bs and since you are getting into more full timing you will need the extra CCC that a class A offers.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Any reason why you won't consider a Class A? The front windshield is about as big of a window you'll ever get. The Class As also have more storage space. Good luck!