cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loosing Propane

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready for a trip tomorrow I checked LP and the tank was empty. Last check I had 2/3 full. The LP switch was left on from the previous trip.

I had the tank refilled and when the LP switch is on I can hear a "gas flowing" sound through the regulator, but I can't find a leak. I sprayed soapy water on every joint and connection from the tank to the stove, water heater, front and rear furnace. Nothing! No gas smell either. If I turn the switch off the noise stops.

Anybody have an idea? Could it be something with the regulator?? I tapped on it with a screwdriver handle and it made a vibrating sound, but when I turned the switch off and back on it stopped, but the "flowing" sound continued.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
17 REPLIES 17

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
GOOD DEAL ! Glad the fix was easy & inexpensive (other than time) !
Thanks for following up & sharing the solution !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
I really like it when posters end their threads with a solution so here is what I did and what it was.

I crawled underneath and took each flex line off one at a time and capped the connections. I got to the last one going to the rear furnace and that was it. The flex line goes from the manifold pipe on the curb side frame rail over the transmission, back over the radiator, up through the floor and into the burner compartment. I was going to pull it all out and replace it, but in the process I found a 1/4 inch "chew" hole right above the radiator. I cut out the bad section and inserted a repair coupler, tightened the clamps turned on the main valve, soaped it up to look for leaks. All is well and everything is working.

Thanks to all who responded.

Dave

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was the regulator. An easy fix.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just an obvious question, but did you leave the stove turned on or furnace turned on? I ran my propane out once and it totally baffled me. Turned out I left the furnace on and the propane tank still on. When the temps dropped, furnace kicked on, and since this was in the winter cold months ... thar went the propane! When we got ready to do a winter week-end drive way camp (as we do often), no propane. I was baffled. But finally figured it out. Ever since, I always check the furnace switch to make sure it's off ... even if I close off the valve on the tank. Just a suggestion?

I know, you would probably hear the furnace running inside your camper, but it is possible the leak could still be furnace related. Just a thought?

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I always use a match to look for gas leaks. Finds them every time.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
he would have noticed the leak if was at the tank or tank valve !
i wouldn't want a bunch of propane leaking into my enclosed storage bay....BANG !
Don R.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
when i put my coach in storage i always turn the TANK valve off.

If he had done that he wouldn't of noticed the leak.

OP, likely a leak in the line somewhere in the body of the unit, away from detectors and your nose. Time consuming to find but some patience should net you your leak.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Patrol_65
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that the regulator is leaking. I replaced mine last summer after losing 3/4 of a tank in one week. It is not a difficult job. Just make sure that you use gas teflon tape on the threads. The cutoff valve is before the regulator so when it is closed, propane doesn't flow through the regulator or the line.
Nathan and Linda
KF4GYL
2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U Ford Triton V10 F53 Banks Power Pack

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Gator48 wrote:

I hate those tree rats! 😞

But they have cute fuzzy tails!

A friend of mine is constantly setting live traps (because of his wife) for rats on his property. Every once in a while he gets a squirrel.
Let me tell you those things get MAD! They aren't so cute then.

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help. It is pretty frustrating. Thinking of taking one flex line off at a time when we get back and plugging the manifold to isolate the offending flex line/connection. There is an iron pipe main line with tees for the flex line connections. I'll bet it's a squirrel hit.

I hate those tree rats! 😞

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Check the purge valve which might not have been tightened after last fill. No power to the safety solenoid would have shut off propane to the motorhome narrowing leak to the tank, fill valve or most likely purge valve.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the regulator can leak. Grab a bottle of Windex (it works GREAT for finding gas leaks) and spray around the reg. and the connectors and rubber lines attached to it. If not there then crawl under the RV and spray every joint you find.
But my guess is it will be one of the rubber lines or their green fitting that connect them to the tank.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We found a leaking hose where the local gnawing animals must have liked the taste of rubbber.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
when i put my coach in storage i always turn the TANK valve off.
Don R.