cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost a pin on the tow bar. Don't use these pins!!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was headed north on I-95 near Ormond Beach and noticed the toad was wandering around and only one side of the tow bar connected.

Slowly coasted in N and pulled off, not using any brakes.

A pin was missing and I was towing with one arm. I unhitched, moved the car and reattached, no damage done. I always carry spare hitch pins.

I had been using the hitch pins with the swivel latch and the best I can figure is the little Chinese rivet fell out and the latch fell off. I KNOW I flipped it around.

I wont be using those anymore.

Scared the bejesus out of me.

Like these. CLICKY
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.
37 REPLIES 37

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Paddocks? Are you guys talking about a residential type padlock like you would lock up a storage unit????

I would NEVER even think of using any type of cotter pin with or without some sort of hoky locking clip or a padlock to secure a full size car towing.

Those are the first things I threw out and bought a 'set' of three locking hitch pins keyed the same.

2 go on the toad and the other one goes on the hitch to the tow bar.

You may not have even lost that cotter pin. There are NUMEROUS reports of RV'ers having kids and idiots pulling a pin out while the RV and toad where parked in a restaurant parking lot. AND reports of stolen tow bars off the back of RV's when parked and the toad not connected.

IMHO those of you who continue to use the cotter pins I would be checking each and every time you park that they are still in place. Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I've never used pins. Threw them away first thing and use only padlocks. There have been other stories on here of pins coming up missing after people have stopped for gas or a rest area. I do always try and walk back and take a look after making a short stop, but it would take somebody some effort to cut one of the locks off.

Count me as another user of padlocks. As I was doing my quick walk-around a few years ago after stopping in a public area, one of our pins were missing!! The pin must have been needed by someone else so they helped themselves.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info (Clicky) on that pin. Do you know if the pin failed or some foul play was involved at your last stop before the pin came out.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never used pins. Threw them away first thing and use only padlocks. There have been other stories on here of pins coming up missing after people have stopped for gas or a rest area. I do always try and walk back and take a look after making a short stop, but it would take somebody some effort to cut one of the locks off.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
We use small pad locks and lock them in place. I have read kids sometime remove the pins when you stop and go in to eat. We check them after every stop as part of the walk around.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tinstar wrote:
96Bounder30E, think he's talking about the other kind. Same as the OP

I'm not sure as he quoted my post?... Hopefully Pirate comes back to clear it all up....
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer pins that can be undone quickly in the event of an emergency. Several years ago, another fellow and I were able to unhook a toad from the back of burning Class C because the pins were not locked. The toad and its contents were the only things saved for the owners when they were released from the hospital.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
had you recently stopped at a rest area? i had both removed at a rest area,don't know if a trucker didn't like to share or a kid but i was lucky to notice it before we moved. now use locking one

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only use padlocks. Nobody can undo them except us
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E, think he's talking about the other kind. Same as the OP
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
I use locking pins. That way no one can remove them when parked. I always walk around and look, but just in case I forget some day. I've never had any trouble with the locking pins, but I do carry a spare set, just in case.

Ditto. Over 40 years towing in one way or another, have never had on fail. Now lose one when unhooked, yea.
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pirate wrote:
96Bounder30E wrote:
http://blueox.com/products/tow-bar/84-0140-kit-tow-bar-pins-with-clip-2-each/

These hitch pins are the only ones that I'll use....
Have had two of them fail. Won't use again. Yes, they were in the correct way. I use this type now.

Please describe how they failed.......I fail to see how.......
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:

Have had two of them fail. Won't use again. Yes, they were in the correct way. I use this type now.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
96Bounder30E wrote:

I use those pins in various applications. I've never had one fail.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I use locking pins. That way no one can remove them when parked. I always walk around and look, but just in case I forget some day. I've never had any trouble with the locking pins, but I do carry a spare set, just in case.