cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lower balls joints for steering

rmdellegar
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone had a problem with lower balls joints for steering on their 20500 pound workhorse motorhome? mine is 10 years old and just found out this weekend that the ball joint covers are cracked on one side and gone on the other. i only have 27,000 miles on coach. workhorse dealer says price is $465.00 each, plus installation, does anyone know where i can find them cheaper? no tire wear as of yet.
6 REPLIES 6

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry! did't see it was Workhorse chassis.

Chuck
Chuck & Laraine

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2000, same as yours. check to see if the tie rod recall was done.
I purchased mine in 2010, it had not been done.
Call Ford with vin,#, they can tell you. Sounds like it has not.

Cnuck
Chuck & Laraine

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
I would first determine exactly what you need,then check with NAPAon prices.The price you listed seems way high for tie rod ends. I would not replace just because boots are gone on tie rod ends,just wrap with some old leather and fasten it it with hose clamps.Replace when they show wear,JMO

dave

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
rmdellegar wrote:
has anyone had a problem with lower balls joints for steering on their 20500 pound workhorse motorhome? mine is 10 years old and just found out this weekend that the ball joint covers are cracked on one side and gone on the other. i only have 27,000 miles on coach. workhorse dealer says price is $465.00 each, plus installation, does anyone know where i can find them cheaper? no tire wear as of yet.

I hope you are not saying that the tires are 10 years old as well.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Deano is correct, no ball joints on the W chassis. It has king pins instead.

He may be referring to tie rod ends.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
this size chassis is a ball joint and not straight axle with king pins?