cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lug nut torque

dpscll
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 45 foot sportscoach legend with a freightliner chassis and just replaced my goodyear tires with Michelin 295/88r22.5 all around. Does anyone know what lug nut torque I should be using on the front tires?
18 REPLIES 18

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreamer67 wrote:
I thought that was my message too. It's all proportional.

A 9000 pound truck with 140 ft-pound lug nuts vs a 35000 pound coach with 500 ft-pound lug nuts.

Sounds proportional to me. No?

You are correct sir!
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Mikepy
Explorer
Explorer
F-53 MH chassis manual states 140 ft pds lug nut torque. There was an update later increasing it to 165. This is on a F500 size truck chassis. I belive the OP was asking about a different chassis altogether. Please make sure you (and your tire or service guy)know YOUR particular lug nut torque before installation.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
My 19.5 wheels have 6-1&1/8" lug nuts. Torque is 475 ft-lbs.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 19.5 wheels have 8-7/8" studs and the Workhorse manual states that the lug nut torque is 475 ft.lbs.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
True about lug nut size vs. ft-lbs, and another tip off is the number of lug nuts for the wheel. The more lug nuts, the less the ft-lbs can be.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Geocritter wrote:
I have to ask, what are you guys drivin'? 450-500 ft. lbs. is bolt snapping range for most of what I work on. I freaked when I first read this thread and I went and looked at the Ford Chassis manual that came with the 1994 33' Holiday Rambler I bought recently. The manual (for Ford Super Duty trucks) gave 140 ft. lbs. which is more in the range I expected.
Steve

Geocritter,
A simple explanation is that the larger, mostly diesel pusher rigs use the larger 22.5" tires and wheels and, pretty large lug nuts and studs. (Our lug nuts are 33mm and a the stud is around 3/4" in diameter). While the somewhat "smaller" chassis'd units use the 19.5" tires and wheels and therefore, smaller lug nuts and studs. And then there's the units like the general Class C units that at least used to use, 16" wheels and tires. Some may still do, no idea.

Obviously, the larger the lug nut/tire wheel combo, the higher the torque for holding things on and together. As stated earlier, our lug nuts have stamped right on the outer edge, "450 ft. lbs." Hope this helps some.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that was my message too. It's all proportional.

A 9000 pound truck with 140 ft-pound lug nuts vs a 35000 pound coach with 500 ft-pound lug nuts.

Sounds proportional to me. No?

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreamer67 wrote:
They're driving BIG rigs. Compare them to the F350. It's all proportional.

NOT! 2003 Newmar MADP 400hp. turbo diesel on a Spartan Mountain Master Chassis with Michelin 295/80R 22.5" tires on Alcoa aluminium wheels torqued to 450-500 foot pounds of torque! I hope this explains it. The F350 is a "matchbox toy" compared to that. ๐Ÿ™‚
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
They're driving BIG rigs. Compare them to the F350. It's all proportional.

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I have to ask, what are you guys drivin'? 450-500 ft. lbs. is bolt snapping range for most of what I work on. I freaked when I first read this thread and I went and looked at the Ford Chassis manual that came with the 1994 33' Holiday Rambler I bought recently. The manual (for Ford Super Duty trucks) gave 140 ft. lbs. which is more in the range I expected.
Steve

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Mine states 450-500 Ft. Lbs.
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

dcrowes
Explorer
Explorer
For those looking for Michelin 295 80r 22.5. I just got off the phone with TA Truck center and they keep these tires in stock as they are very popular. Price quoted $549.00 per tire plus mounting, balancing etc.
This particular store in I-10, Exit 146 (Dillon Rd.)
46155 Dillon Road
Coachella, CA 92236
David
42'Travel Supreme

barlow46
Explorer
Explorer
Section 5-2 http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog/pdf/ServiceManual-English.pdf
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

PeoriaKen
Explorer
Explorer
On my HR the Back wheels has 475 ft. lbs. stamped on the wheels. Hope this helps.