cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lug Nut Wrench and Other Stuff

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
A few odds n ends I've got to get that I feel are necessary to "be prepared". Had the new Lexi hooked up today in the driveway with all the systems on and all is well in "Grumpy Land". We want to take our first "shake down cruise" next week and trying to get ready.
I want to get a lug wrench and some decent valve stem extenders. Truck supply near and I'll go by tomorrow, but I forgot to take a simulator off. Anyone know the lug size on a Fore E-450? Will be getting one of the big wrenches. Also gettting a set of proper valve extenders with the hex attachment rather than the simple screw on type that are on now. Also picked up a 6 ton bottle jack to carry in the unit.
Read a lot of past posts on re-sealing the old caulk with Eternabond, and I plan on ordering some 4 & 6 inch widths from Amazon and sealing over my new units caulk, for peace of mind.
I'm one of those nuts that tries to think ahead and carry what I might need. Probably never use most of it, but it's there. Hate to be stranded for lack of a hose clamp or a 25 cent fuse.
Just kind of rambling here, but I know you've all been in the same boat, trying to think of everything, knowing you'll forget something.
Lug nut size, anyone?
Thanks,
Grumpy
8 REPLIES 8

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guy's. The Lexi came with a spare, and I have a 6 ton bottle jack with the pre-requsite 2" x 10" squares for soft ground. I had a Ford duelly pick up in the past, so I am fimilar with the pain in the arse it is to change them. I work at Lowes, so I picked up our Kobalt 1/2 drive electric impact wrench. It got fairly good ratings so I'll give it a try tomorrow pulling a few lug nuts. If it dosen't work, back it goes.
Grumpy

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I would use a socket (6 point), extension, and long breaker bar to get the nuts loose. To stabilize the wrench while heaving on it get a 2x6 and bore a series of holes staggered at different heights all the way from the lowest point a nut can be to the highest. Se the piece of wood vertically in front of the wheel and poke the socket on extension through it and then on the nut. You now have both hands free to heave on the breaker bar.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Best to have a good spare tire on board, a cell phone and good emergency road service such as AAA Premier RV. It's often not safe to try changing tires on the side of the road yourself. Emergency RV services should have HD jacks, impact wrenches, etc. and know how to change tires quickly and safely.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the expression of tools in pounds. Only thing, we usually need that 2-oz thing that's NOT in the 50-pounds.
Let me add a suggestion if we're thinking about possibly some tire changing. At a minimum, loosen and re-torque 8 lugs per wheel times four. Every one on the coach. Somebody may have gunned them down too tight with power tools.
And ideally, test your lug wrench, jack and stands by lifting a dual set and seeing if the wheels will actually come off. E-Series wheels have a very close Hub-Piloted fit. Front wheels sit on a very narrow mating surface, but the surface for the rears covers both wheels and more. Our fronts came loose easily, just a shove. Rear outers took a couple good kicks from a sitting position. Rear INNERS took about 20 minutes of banging with various appliances we would not have on the side of the road. What finally did the job was a 3-ft length of 4x6 post material used as a battering ram, endwise against the tire right at the bead (steel wheels).
I noticed an extra hole between two of the 8 lug holes of each wheel. The 7/16" diameter and 5/16" material thickness allowed me to tap these holes 1/2" x 20 fine thread, which is what the lug screws on small trailers are. With a lug screw and 3/4" socket, I can force a stuck wheel off the hub. I found that I had to mount the duals so they're one lug off from the valves being directly opposite. If opposite, the lug screw would drive from one wheel's hole into the other and probably not be effective.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
tool bag with about 50lbs of tools, 25 amp battery charger, drill, nuts and bolts, ect.

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
decent 1/2" socket set battery powered impact wrench and torque wrench.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best improvements I did to our 2003 E-450 was to have Tireman solid metal extended valve stems installed. Checking pressures and adding air is now an easy job.

Our Minnie came with a long lug wrench. The lug nuts are 7/8". Also came with a wimpy looking, but adequate T-handle wrench for removing the wheel simulators. The lug nuts on ours are torqued to 140 lb-ft and I carry a torque wrench for that. I also carry a spare serpentine belt and the belt tool. A few other wrenches and a small socket set plus a 6 ton bottle jack and a quart of oil is about it.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
7/8" lug nuts