cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macerator hair

homerbw
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a lot of hair building up in my portable macerator. It is slowing down the grinding process and even forcing me to remove it and use a small tool to grab the hair and remove it. What do those of you who have this happening to you do about it?
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B, F53, 275hp Triton V10
10 REPLIES 10

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
... and some folks are obsessed about their sewer hose getting immaculate. 🙂 Think of what they'd do if they had to deal with a macerator and keep it clean. LOL
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Macerator is in a box in the attic, no more useless maintenance.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drain covers all the way. I've pulled many "pets" out of drains. Big rotting hairballs... Yuck.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto on the hair catcher drain covers. The wife is losing her hair due to medication and they really help.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a cheap pair of long needle nose pliers that I keep with the macerator. Each time when I am done using the macerator I use the pliers to remove the hair.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Use hair-catcher sink strainers in all sink/shower drains. Hair that never gets into the waste system cannot clog it.

x2
I like my wife with long hair, but that cost me replacing drainage pipes in my older house.
Took me a while to explain that her convenience is not more important that sewer pipe problems.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should take your macerator apart once a year or every other year and clean it and check the impeller.

I have found that when hair has built up, there is usually a broken vane on the impeller. (not related)

Parts are available from West Marine or Amazon. The impeller has a part number on it and there are different ones.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think that a common problem - suspect many older RVers might be a bit jealous - nose/ear hair are unsightly but don't create blockage issues 😉
Kevin

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Use hair-catcher sink strainers in all sink/shower drains. Hair that never gets into the waste system cannot clog it.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Take the cutting blade off and remove the hair (or shave your head).
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.