cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

man its hot !!

Tramp844
Explorer
Explorer
What type and brand koolseal do i use for the roof of my 93 allegro bay ? is it worth the cost ?
Our God is an awesome God !
K4RGA
24 REPLIES 24

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
Keep in mind that white will be cooler than silver. If you don't believe that try touching 2 different cars in a parking lot

Prior to my painting the roof white my gut instinct was that a silver(aluminum) roof would reflect more heat than anything i.e. mirror effect? I was wrong although I still don't get it:h

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that white will be cooler than silver. If you don't believe that try touching 2 different cars in a parking lot
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Walmart and buy a large green tarp with silver reflector on one side. I think (?) mine is 14x20 feet and it costs $20something. Put it across the top and see what happens. The AC, vents, etc should hold it a few inches of the roof. I would be sure not to obstruct the venting of the AC.

We just got backed from a multiweek trip and the sun was intense. I used one of these things to shade and the silver side did a great job a reflecting direct heat.

The truth is, in my experience, if it is REALLY hot like it gets in the SW and W, an RV is going to be hotter than I want it to be regardless.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
yankee camper wrote:
timmac wrote:
yankee camper wrote:
I have a 1990 Coachmen 25 ft. 5th wheel with an aluminum roof. Being anal I painted the roof with white Dicor Elastomeric paint. Did a great job at controlling indoor temps, I would say it knocked it down a good 5-10 degrees... but the stuff lifted and peeled like a sunburn on an Irishman in the desert w/in a year. To add insult to injury when it flakes off during a bath or rain storm it sticks to the siding and won't come off unless you sandblast it!!! If anyone out there has a suggestion I'm all ears.

You have to primer the roof if you want it to stick to bare metal, don't have to on other roofs just bare metal.

Would have been some good info to print in the instructions on the can:h

Nope nowhere on the can does it suggest priming the roof, basically states the 1st coat acts as a primer. I'm not a total idiot (maybe just 1/2) but being new to this application I followed the directions on the product to a "T" with less than stellar results.
Just ask the people at the store where you bought it they should be able to help, I am sure somewhere on the product it says to primer bare metal and they might even sell the primer that works best.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
yankee camper wrote:
timmac wrote:
yankee camper wrote:
I have a 1990 Coachmen 25 ft. 5th wheel with an aluminum roof. Being anal I painted the roof with white Dicor Elastomeric paint. Did a great job at controlling indoor temps, I would say it knocked it down a good 5-10 degrees... but the stuff lifted and peeled like a sunburn on an Irishman in the desert w/in a year. To add insult to injury when it flakes off during a bath or rain storm it sticks to the siding and won't come off unless you sandblast it!!! If anyone out there has a suggestion I'm all ears.

You have to primer the roof if you want it to stick to bare metal, don't have to on other roofs just bare metal.

Just ask the people at the store where you bought it they should be able to help, I am sure somewhere on the product it says to primer bare metal and they might even sell the primer that works best.

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
yankee camper wrote:

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
**double post deleted

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
I wonder how comfortable full timers are in typical Class C's in really hot weather despite all of the things that can be done to help survive the heat. Maybe they find a library, senior citizen's center or movie theatre.to get through the hottest times of the day.

I don't know about full timers, but we camp seasonally for 4 months. Right now we are in the middle of a heat wave. The curb side faces due west and we have little shade. It's been in the mid-90s with high humidity for a few days and will continue for 4 or 5 more days. Our 13.5k A/C cools the camper fine.

Yesterday the outside temp was 96 while the inside temp was 75. The A/C runs a lot, but it keeps the camper cool. When it gets this hot, we usually close off the back half of the camper (we have a pocket door between the front half and the back bedrooms) and open two of the vents on the A/C unit so it pours most of the cold air into the front half. That allows the A/C to cycle more often. It still runs a lot, but not constantly. The back half of the camper stays cool enough.

We also have a thermal curtain between the cab and the house and that really helps keep the heat in the cab. It is surprising how much warmer the cab is when the curtain is kept closed.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
yankee camper wrote:

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
The Last RV You Will Ever Need
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer

Tramp844
Explorer
Explorer
I have reflectics on every window. This rv is old and not as insulated as some of the new stuff you folks have and it dont go far from here. It has lots of issues but, it was free ! thank you all for your help .
Our God is an awesome God !
K4RGA

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you have enough money, you can cool almost anything. For the rest of us, pull up the jacks and go to someplace cooler. If you are staying at the same place, shade helps, even if you have to buy it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how comfortable full timers are in typical Class C's in really hot weather despite all of the things that can be done to help survive the heat. Maybe they find a library, senior citizen's center or movie theatre.to get through the hottest times of the day.