cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Master cylinder for 1974 Dodge Chasis class A

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
HELP...HELP...HELP!!! I have a 1974 Cobra Class A MH on a Dodge R-50 Chassis. It has what appears to be a cast-iron?? master cylinder with "air/vacuum"?? assist, that is leaking. All the parts people say the part is obsolete and no longer available...the Salvage yards look at me like I'm NUTS...and the local one of the local RV service dealers told me if I had it towed in they would probably tell me to tow it back out! Anybody got any help for an old guy with an old RV in the Kansas City Mo. area? TNX Kc
"...bases are loaded and Kc's at bat...
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb
'74 Cobra Dodge 440(on the mend)
13 REPLIES 13

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Great!

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it repaired, nice when folks post the outcome!
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
I Was able to get it fixed, with all your help and the folks at United Tire Muffler and Service in Kansas City. Thank you one and all for your guidance.
Kc
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Try Cardone, P/N 10-1576
Dodge Trucks B300 Van 1977-1977

Application Data:

Dodge Trucks M300 1973-1973

Application Data:

w/Disc Brakes

Dodge Trucks M300 1977-1974

Application Data:

w/Vacuum Booster

Dodge Trucks M350 1974-1974

Application Data:

Dodge Trucks M375 1973-1973

Application Data:

Disc

Dodge Trucks R300 1974-1974

Application Data:

Plymouth Trucks PB300 Van 1977-1977
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge chassis were M300 M400 or M500 the "van Cutoffs" were MB300 or MB400. Try a master cylinder for a 1974 Dodge D300 (1 ton pick-up) I think they are the same? I hope this helps, Bill
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Roman_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like your master cylinder is leaking, you mentioned fluid leaking out the back of it. That normally would be dry rotted seals on the plunger. On the body/ housing of the cylinder there will be a casting number stamp/cast into the housing. Take that number to your local napa dealer, they should be able to cross refrence it.
Another supplier you might want to check is Fleet Pride, they're a big truck parts supplier,
Good luck, you never fail, until you stop trying
"You never fail until you stop trying!!"
My advice is free but I do consider donations

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
dodge trucks

Join and post there or here

Travco

Sound Choice wrote:
HELP...HELP...HELP!!! I have a 1974 Cobra Class A MH on a Dodge R-50 Chassis. It has what appears to be a cast-iron?? master cylinder with "air/vacuum"?? assist, that is leaking. All the parts people say the part is obsolete and no longer available...the Salvage yards look at me like I'm NUTS...and the local one of the local RV service dealers told me if I had it towed in they would probably tell me to tow it back out! Anybody got any help for an old guy with an old RV in the Kansas City Mo. area? TNX Kc
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Sound_Choice
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one and all for your assistance. Still checking out your suggestions. Talked w/Colaws...they had nothing...talked with Vanderhaags, they referred me on. My problem is not only big fluid loss at back of master cylinder...but also excessive pedal pressure. I hhope it is not the booster pump because I know absolutely nothing about that. Any more ideas are always welcomed. TNX again, Kc
taking it play by play!"
Kc & Barb

MrWizard
what is bad?
the master cylinder., or the vacuum booster

do the brakes work, but needs a lot of pedal pressure
or no brakes

the parts separate, the master cylinder can be replaced or rebuilt

finding another vacuum booster , check with dodge truck parts suppliers and brake part rebuilders

also check colaws? the RV salvage yard in Missouri
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jferre9570
Explorer
Explorer
Try this catalog Precision Rebuilders
John & Diane
1996 Beaver Monterey 3403
2005 Honda CRV toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may also go to rockauto.com and look up various Dodge vehicles in 1974. Perhaps in some of the truck listings you will find the master cylinder/brake booster that will replace yours. Most of the parts listed on rockauto.com have pictures so this should help to locate your part.

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked NAPA?

My 1978 Pace Arrow (Dodge chassis) needed a master cylinder and I had to order one through NAPA. It was shipped from Texas.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what it would cost but, did you look into a Master Cylinder Rebuild Service?