cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH Fire in Florida didn't know how to use escape window

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are several interviews with the good Samaritan that turned around to rescue these RV'ers when he saw a foot sticking out of one of the windows.

The mother and daughter said they did

NOT

know how to use the escape window and were trying to get out thru a smaller opening window and could not.

1.....Visual proof on why it is important to have an escaped ladder mounted somewhere near the window.
2......Visual proof why everyone in your RV knows how to use the escape window BEFORE you head out.

It looks as if the father in shock was trying to unhook the toad to drive around to the window to try and get his family out.

If that man did not turn around to help these people get out of this RV, IMHO there might have been fatalities.

And by gawd LEARN/TEACH everyone in your RV how to use the escape window.

EVERY person that rides in my MH gets my "In Case of Fire Drill". They are shown where all the fire extinguishers are, yes there are several from front to back, AND how to use the escape window.

Thank the Lord for that good Samaritan who turned around and that all got out safely.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/28737191/local-man-helps-rescue-3-people-from-burning-rv-in-lake-c...

http://www.fox10tv.com/story/28721208/fl-man-rescues-mother-daughter-from-burning-rv

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

19 REPLIES 19

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coat the window seals with a silicone lubricant and they will not stick when you need them.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a class on fire safety at the FMCA rally in Pomona and learned a lot! I had never opened the escape window in the bedroom and we could not open it! It took us a lot of effort and time to open it and the seal tore in places, but it is now open. We are in the process of getting a new seal and making sure we open it occasionally so it does not stick again. We also practiced getting out of the window. To us, knowing what to do in case of a fire and practicing is extremely important.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
In 5 year I have never opened my Fire escape window.

were camping in 2 weeks. its on my to do list.

Thanks Rockhillmanor. your post might save a life
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, I don't care whether there's a ladder available or not...

If there's a fire, my wife gets thrown out first closely followed by yours truly....

and yes, know where your escape windows are and how to open them. Simple stuff we don't always think about.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You also need to actually open it every couple years as they can stick from lack of use. Crawling out backwards is usually better than head first.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...